WnSoft Forums

DVD quality when played on a PC

nsharma

Hi

I think PtoE is a great programme. I am using Uleam Movie Factory 3 to burn the DVD of a wedding slideshow. It plays fine on my TV through my DVD player. However, the image quality of the DVD is very poor on my laptop. Though it runs smoothly the images look very soft (my Toshiba laptop is 3.02 GHz with 500 Mb RAM and a 15" screen). I have tried other computers and it's the same. Why is this?

When I preview within PtoE, the image quality is great.

I am supplying a wedding slide show with music to my client and I am having to suppy to versions - a DVD to use with DVD players and the other a CD with the EXE projector for PC use.

I wonder if it's possible to make just one DVD which will give good quality images both on the DVD players and PCs.

Nishi

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to put an exe file for PC's and a DVD folder on to the same disc. You'll also need to include an autorun file to point to the exe so that the computer launches this and ignores the DVD folder. When you burn your DVD, tick the option box that allows the DVD to be left open, so that more files can be added later. Then after it has been burned, just copy over the exe file and autorun file. When the disc is run on a domestic DVD player, it will ignore the autorun and exe files and launch the DVD movie instead.

I have also found that the DVD versions do not look sharp when played on a PC, but are acceptable on a TV set. Because of this I never attempt to show DVD files full-screen and just play them in a player window.

The reason that the DVD files might need to be played back on a PC could be do demo a fancy menu structure to the client. Its far more convenient to use a laptop to present to clients than to carry a DVD player around (unless you buy a portable player instead...)

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cindy

The aurorun file is a small text file that Windows looks for when it loads the CD Rom or DVD. If it finds one present, it performs the task that the file instructs it to do.

It is quite simple to write the file using a text editor like Windows Notepad. Start a new file, then type in:

[autorun]

open=menu.exe

icon=your-icon.ico

where "menu.exe" is the name of the file that you want Windoes to automatically open, and "your-icon.ico" ia an icon file that you want the disk to show up as in My Computer (this is optional though, as you don't need to specify an icon).

Then save the file as "autorun.inf" and copy it to your Cd or DVD.

Ian