WnSoft Forums

Question for the Techs.

Bob

Hi:

I'm planning to replace my CD burner with a DVD burner so... Is it as simple as removing the CD drive and noting where the hookup wires are, then attaching the DVD wires to the same position as the CD then install the software and let Xp find a new piece of hardware?? tell me "That's all there is to it" or are there pitfalls that could hinder the installation.

thanks in advance... I'm anxious to put a show on DVD and view it on the TV.

Bob..

Ken:

Thanks for your speedy reply. I don't see any reason to keep the original CD drive as I understand that the new DVD drives are actually faster when it comes to burning CDs. I will check out the supplied software and if it doesn't allow burning to DVD I'll be back asking more questions.

Bob..

Bob,

It's handy to have two drives for copying from one to the other. The installation can be a little tricky with two, though, as connection to the proper controller, and master/slave considerations, are important. I don't remember off-hand what the rule is, but your installation manual(s) should tell you. Seems to me that at least one of them likes to be the "master", either primary or secondary.

and if you maintain 2 drives , make sure you set it to boot from a drive other than floppy and make sure you know which one it boots from -- when you are up to ___ in snakes one neede to know these things

this getting into the long answer

and i am getting out my area -=- this is when i get my techie

ken

As well as noting the position of pin 1 on the drive and the IDE cable (usually red stripe), you also need to note the jumper setting of the original drive. If you only have one hard drive and the CD drive, chances are they are both connected to the same IDE cable with the hard drive set as master and CD drive set as slave.

If the CD drive is on a separate IDE cable it should be set as master. You can obtain a bit of a performance gain if you keep the optical drive on a separate IDE cable. If you decide to keep the CD drive, then you should have the DVD burner set as master on the secondary IDE channel and the CD drive as slave on the same channel, with the hard disk by itself as master on the primary IDE channel.

If you need any more info, feel free to ask.

Wow!! thanks for all the advice. I simply want to replace the existing CD burner with a DVD burner so hopefully it will be as simple as hooking up to the same cables and jacks as the Cd drive. Now I'll place an order for a DVD drive.

If you guys have any suggestions as to a paticular drive please jump in. My main concerns are to put P2exe shows on DVD that can be viewed on any home TV, copy CDs and back-up some data from my "C" drive. I know there are many different software packages out there but I would like to think the supplied software will do the trick.

thanks again for all your help.

Bob..

PhotoCD I'm back...

Just checked in to Nec 3520A and find a good price $62.00 US. This is an OEM with no cables or software.

Question... will I have to purchase cables and software or is it possible to use the cables etc. on present CD drive? Will the drivers be in Windows XP or do I need installation software?

Hate to use up bandwidth with all these questions but when I read some of these DVD forums the chat is way over my head.

Thanks............. Bob..

Bob

The cables you have will do fine, both the data and audio ones. XP will detect the drive no problem. Software is your only issue, as you will need something specifically to write to DVD. At this point the list gets endless, as it will depend on what you use it for. Check you present software to see if it supports DVDs before buying something new.

Thought I had all the answers :rolleyes:

My new dvd burner should arrive Tuesday and I find that I have just one more questions for the "Techs"

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and so on!! What should I get?? I want the best results when it comes to P2exe shows and I want to back-up my Hard drive as well. I have programs such as P2exe, Photoshop etc. that I want to back-up on DVD.

thanks once again in advance..

Bob..

Hate to be the one to dampen your enthusiasm, but don't expect miracles from DVD when you eventually get it up and running. They just 'aint got the medium perfected yet and you may well be disappointed with your first results, especially if you are expecting to get .exe quality on a TV screen.

Let us know how you get on please.

Ron West