WnSoft Forums

Sound on DVD created by Nero Vision Express2

rick k

I have successfully created DVDs using P2E and Nero Vision Express2. The resulting images and transition effects look really good on my television, but I hear occasional popping sounds and ticks in the music. When I preview the show on my PC (and when I play the executable file on my PC), the music sounds great - the problem is when I convert the AVI file to DVD. I have tried using both MP3 and WMA formats, with varying quality levels (most at 128 Kbps), but to no avail.

Have others experienced similar problems? Is there a way to overcome this or is this an unavoidable pitfall with DVD presentations?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Welcome to the forum, Rick !

For the the .mp3 file, you must to check the original file and the encoding. Me, I don't like the .wma (sometimes problems with it).

I prefer to use an excellent .wav or a MP3 (192 kbps) file before to burn the DVD.

Can you try with another file ? (use a .wav file and encode it in MP3 with "Lame" encoder).

NB:

- no problem with our DVD and the sound

- perhaps also a problem with the burning or the DVD

- it's possible also you don't hear the popping on your PC (sound card quality or speakers quality)

Michel,

Thank you for the suggestions. I discovered that the problem was not with the source file, but that when I was burning the AVI file with Nero, I had selected LPCM as the format for audio. I switched it to Dolby 2.0 and now it sounds a whole lot better. I think I will follow your suggestion and use either .WAV or MP3 formats from here on out.

Best regards,

Rick

• 1 month later...

Michel,

Thank you for the suggestions. I discovered that the problem was not with the source file, but that when I was burning the AVI file with Nero, I had selected LPCM as the format for audio. I switched it to Dolby 2.0 and now it sounds a whole lot better. I think I will follow your suggestion and use either .WAV or MP3 formats from here on out.

Best regards,

Rick

I use Nero 6 Vision Express with a downloaded MPEG-2 codec from the Nero website (at added cost of $25) to make a DVD using the AVI file created by PTE. I use MP3 format for music. I create the the DVD using Nero's Image Recorder, which makes a video image file with .NRG extention (in about 90 minutes for a 300 slide show). This approach allows me to make additional DVD copies as needed very quickly (in about 5 minutes) using Nero.

The PTE slideshow plays great, as usual, on my PC. Music sounds great. I can play the NRG video image file using Windows Media Player 10 (even though it tells me the file is not recognized...Just hit Play anyway). It looks great and the music sounds great. However, when I play the DVD in a player connected to my TV or when I play it using my PC's DVD drive, the music sounds very tinny and scratchy, like an old 78 RPM recording. I have a modern Sony TV which plays MP3 recordings and movies with flawless sound quality. Now my question is: You say you selected LPCM and then switched to Dolby 2.0 when you burned your AVI file with Nero and improved sound quality. Can you elaborate on how you do this? My suspicion is that Nero fouls up the audio in the MPEG-2 multiplexing process some where. The picture quality is not Hi Def, but reasonably good in contrast to the sound, which is awful.

If anyone else reading this has experienced poor MP3 sound quality on PTE slideshow DVDs created by Nero I would appreciate hearing from you also.

I create the the DVD using Nero's Image Recorder, which makes a video image file with .NRG extention

If you don't use NRG to burn, it's the sound better ?

downloaded MPEG-2 codec

What codec ? And without this codec, is it OK ?

I think Nero has not the best encoder, but, until, certain of my DVD (NeroVision Express) play fine (sound wave or MP3 high bitrate before encoding).

If you don't use NRG to burn, it's the sound better ?

What codec ? And without this codec, is it OK ?

I think Nero has not the best encoder, but, until, certain of my DVD (NeroVision Express) play fine (sound wave or MP3 high bitrate before encoding).

Thanks for your input. I have not burned directly to a DVD disc because the Nero Image Recorder is a virtual DVD on the hard drive. I will try making the DVD directly at the price of 2 hours. As for the codec, it is the MPEG-2 codec that Nero bundles with the retail package of Nero 6 Ultra. My original Nero was on an OEM disc that came with my DVD drive. The OEM version does not include the MPEG-2 license so it must be purchased separately. I was not able to burn a DVD without the MPEG-2 codec plug-in installed.

Important, please, before, choice the default parameters (PTE DVD) to peprare the file .avi.

If you are sure that your file MP3 is OK, use only NeroVisionExpress to encode and burn right the DVD.

Then, after, tell us if the problem is the same.

Thanks.

Michael,

I will try what you suggest when I return in early December. Thanks for your help.

walusa

You say you selected LPCM and then switched to Dolby 2.0 when you burned your AVI file with Nero and improved sound quality. Can you elaborate on how you do this?

I am using Nero 7 but I would imagin the section Rick has mentioned would be the same in Nero 6.

I would assume this is were he made the audio change.

Nero Vision - Make a DVD - DVD Video - More - Video Options - DVD Video ( At the bottom - Audio Format )

post-14-1133384255_thumb.jpg

Rick

possibly this site will explain what is the problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPCM

my 2 NERO 6.6 systems are set at LPCM by default, tho i do not have the sound system in my house to support the feature

think if you had a full front rear wooofers tweeters etc you would be able to take advantage of it

a store bought movie has 4-5 sound settings available to cover all household sound systems

ken

• 2 weeks later...

"Important, please, before, choice the default parameters (PTE DVD) to peprare the file .avi.

If you are sure that your file MP3 is OK, use only NeroVisionExpress to encode and burn right the DVD.

Then, after, tell us if the problem is the same.

Thanks."

Michael:

After returning from vacation, I did as you suggest above. I used the defaults in PTE to make an AVI and burned it to a DVD directly using DVD-Video and NeroVision Express SE in Nero 6.6, without using Image Recorder. The result was not changed. Sound on the background music was still distorted. The distortion sounded raspy in places and was especially noticeable on one of the songs. I then replaced the worst song with a clean MP3 copy. It sounded fine on PTE. I made a new AVI and burned another DVD directly after selecting DolbyDigital (AC-3) under Video Options in Nero, rather than LPCM. The sound quality seemed to be improved. Next, I burned the same AVI file to Image Recorder and made a DVD from that. The quality was about the same as the direct DVD.

I now suspect that the sound quality has more to do with the quality of the MP3 than with PTE or Nero. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the whole audio field of MP3, LPCM or Dolby Digital AC-3, so I have no clear idea how one or the other should be applied or what kind of problems can be expected in a given situation. I suppose the various audio and video compressions involved will ultimately result in reduced quality of the finished DVD that I will have to live with. At some time in the future I will try using a different audio format such as .wav, although I do not look forward to more trial and error techniques, which take too long. Hopefully, as time goes on, a simple standard will emerge that will give a good result in most cases.

Walusa

I now suspect that the sound quality has more to do with the quality of the MP3

You are right, sure ! (your file MP3 must be OK = perfect :) or near)

For a DVD, I prepare a .avi (PTE) only from a first sound file .wav encoded to MP3 (256-320) or Ogg (0,7 -1), all with a high bitrate = high quality.

As Hawk had previously stated, I did select the Dolby Digital option (instead of LPCM) under Video Options from NeroVision Express. That made all the difference in the world for me. Regarding your MP3 format, I requested the PowerPack Lame MP3 Plug-in from Nero (it's free!). I used this encoder to translate my audio files from CD to MP3.

If you don't already have this plugin, here's how you can get it: http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/How_do_I_reg...me_Encoder.html

Good luck!