WnSoft Forums

Recording sound

jnight

Hello all

I would like to do some recording outside to add to a sound track for a PTE slide show. This will involve interviewing people outside. I would like some advice on the kind of equipment to use bearing in mind it has to be changed into a digital format.

Thanks in advance for any advice

jeannight

Hello all

I would like to do some recording outside to add to a sound track for a PTE slide show. This will involve interviewing people outside. I would like some advice on the kind of equipment to use bearing in mind it has to be changed into a digital format.

Thanks in advance for any advice

jeannight

Look here, for on-line, simple advice:

http://www.bbctraining.com/onlineCourses.asp

Hi jeanight,

This is what I use.

A Sony mini disk recorder Type MZ-NH700 plus a Sony microphone Type ECM-MS907. I am afraid this combination is not cheap, about £130 for the mini disk and about £60 for the microphone. If you do decide to go down this route, ON NO ACCOUNT, buy a cheaper microphone as you will be very disappointed.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Hi Jean,

Jeff says that the equiptment is expensive, but not if you reliase it can be used again and again. How much did you pay for your camera? I did a show 2 years back which we interviewed members of the public in a near studio enviroment, (a shop) :) . If you are inter viewing one on one then a uni directinal mic will help filter out what you don't want, but an omni directional will give you some ambient sounds. Record high, but not in the red. Be prepared to edit, we ended up with 15 mins out of 45 mins of tape. Do all your processing before you mix the voices with music or FX. Listen well and often to what you record, and get another set of ears to listen when you grow "tired" of the sounds.

Good luck with it it will be fun to do,

Alan

Hi Jean

Like Jeff, I also use a mini-disk recorder (a Sharp) but with a Sony microphone and I agree completely with Jeff regarding the quality of the microphone - it makes all the difference. I started by using the "budget" kind and the difference in quality when a good microphone is fantastic.

Transfering to digital/computer is very easy - a simple line in connection a good programme is all you need. I use "Audio Cleaning Lab" and "Music Studio" both from Magix. Importing is very easy with either. These programmes don't cost the earth - and the money saved can pay for the microphone!!!

Best of luck - and enjoy.

Well thanks all for your great advice

I've been looking at the mini disc recorders and found the Sony MZ-NH1 which looks pretty good in that it will upload back to the PC in WAV format and the review I read suggests the recording quality is good. Costs about £170 I might just go for it.

Thanks

jeannight