WnSoft Forums

Help needed to create Video

Jill

Hi All,

I need help on how to create a PTE show onto a VCD. I have an old PC PIII 450 with a CD Burner and Nero Express Version 5.5.10.53.

Nero says it can create a VCD and will automatically convert the AVi file, but to create a SVCD it says the file needs to be in MPEG-2 format.

Will PTE do this for me??

I need to create several CDS and looking at the Forum on 'HOW TO CREATE VIDEO' it seems that this will take a very long time. Is there any way to speed things up.

I also need to create at least one to be sent to America, I assume in NTSC format.

The show I am making is to run from a menu screen where the viewer can then select which PTE show to run, does this still work on the video?? or do I just put each show on seperately??

As I do not have a DVD player, I will have to go to someone else's house to check if it works.

Can I use CD-RW to test things out ( I suspect I will need several attempts to get it right) or does it have to be on a CD-R

I have never created video before so please excuse me if the questions are basic.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jill (North Wales)

Jill

get yourself a copy of tmpegenc

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/TMPGEnc.htm

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3962

in the video section -- way back quietstorm posted how to covert/use

tmpegenc -- and there were a lot of answers/questions

winavi will convert avi's to mpeg-2's

http://www.winavi.com/

anything video takes considerable time

if you have windows media player it will play vcd

ken

• 2 weeks later...

Nero says it can create a VCD and will automatically convert the AVi file, but to create a SVCD it says the file needs to be in MPEG-2 format.

Jill,

You should be able to do this in Nero from the temporary avi file that PTE provides. I believe that there are 3 options for your output to CD (or DVD).

Give it a try - the message from Nero probably means that it needs to convert the avi file into an mpeg-2 file.

Hi Jill, hope you are making some progress.

Just to add some quick answers to your questions, and Ken's & Al's comments.

I have an old PC PIII 450 with a CD Burner and Nero Express Version 5.5.10.53.

No problem, however some limitations without the Nero Full Version and DVD burner.

Only VCD & SVCD.

Your computer will handle OK, I have done many SVCD's with my old Pent. II

Will PTE do this for me??

No, PTE will create only the temporary .AVI file that is required to proceed further.

VCD - Less quality - SVCD - Better quality and close to DVD.

Yes SVCD requires a Mpeg-2, created with another program such as free version of TMPGEnc. See Ken's link above.

NOTE: - You must check with your friends in regards to DVD PLAYER specs and make sure they can play a SVCD, also what format disk's. Most newer players do play popular formats, but not older models.

I also need to create at least one to be sent to America, I assume in NTSC format.

Here again - no problem. For this one you would tell PTE - Video - SVCD - NTSC, then if using TMPGNec use SVCD - NTSC settings. - pick your file and save folder - use all defaults settings and MPEG-2 is created - to burn onto CD-R. ( here again check about DVD PLAYER specs. )

VCD's - burned on CD-R's will play, or should play on any DVD player.

The show I am making is to run from a menu screen where the viewer can then select which PTE show to run, does this still work on the video?? or do I just put each show on seperately??

The menu in your PTE show cannot be controlled by the DVD player, I would suggest burning them all as seperate shows onto CD-R and the DVD player will list them all for viewer to choose.

To create a DVD Player fancy menu you will require a DVD Authoring program like Nero full version or another that does menu's for VCD,SVCD & DVD's

I need to create several CDS and looking at the Forum on 'HOW TO CREATE VIDEO' it seems that this will take a very long time. Is there any way to speed things up.

As Ken mentions - video is time consuming. If you go with SVCD and Mpeg-2 creating the file will take some time to first transcode however once your Mpeg-2 is created, the burning of other copies will not take long at all, as you are burning just the completed Mpeg-2 file.

Lets us know how you are getting along.