WnSoft Forums

Interlaced Video

Jason Q

Readers might be interested in a recent experiment which I tried to reduce the 'shimmering' which I have been getting with video presentations.

I have made several presentations which I have sucessfully converted to video format and then burned to DVD for playing back on the televison. Unfortunately I have always been disappointed with 'shimmering' which occasionally occurs with the DVD play back. This has been a particular problem with the most recent presentation where I have used the push effect transition to pan around a panoramic (extra wide) picture.

Following the advice on the forum, I have always had the 'Interlaced Video' box selected before creating the video file. To see if I could improve things, I have just tried producing two back to back videos of the same presentation, one with the 'Interlaced Video' selected and the other without it selected. To my amazement the presentation without the 'Interlaced Video' was far better quality, with smooth transitions and absolutely no shimmering. The rendering time for the video file was also dramatically reduced. I have tried the DVD on two seperate DVD players and have so far not experienced any problems with play back.

The software which I am using to burn the DVD is Intervideo WinDVD Creator 2.

:)

Hi Jason

I have always been disappointed with 'shimmering' which occasionally occurs with the DVD play back. This has been a particular problem with the most recent presentation where I have used the push effect transition to pan around a panoramic (extra wide) picture.

I am curious to know what settings for the " Effect duration " & " Smooting Lines " you are using in the " Customized Slides " with the " Push Effect " for your pan slides.

Also version of PTE you are running.

Hi Jason

I am curious to know what settings for the " Effect duration " & " Smooting Lines " you are using in the " Customized Slides " with the " Push Effect " for your pan slides.

Also version of PTE you are running.

Ralph

I am using a Push duration of 10000 (about 10 seconds) and a smoothing line of 60. I am not sure if the smoothing line does anything with the push effect? Most of my slides are a push from left to right using two images to make up the left hand half and right hand half. I have a number of panoramas which are 3 images wide, but because PTE needs to display each slide for a small amount of time the middle picture needs to pause for a short duration (I have it set to 2 ms) causing a slight 'jump' in the presentation.

I also have a number of slides which push vertically. This is the area which I have seen most improvement by not checking the interlacing box.

I am currently using version 4.43.

Regards

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, thanks for the tip!

I am a newbie who just "produced" my first slide show.

It looked great on my computer monitor as an exe file

and like you, when I burned a DVD, I also checked that

box as suggested.

When I watched the resulting DVD on a 27" TV I was

disappointed in the quality as well.

I will try it again without interlacing the photos.

Thanks for this post!

Dan D. Louisville Kentucky USA