WnSoft Forums

Compensating for room acoustics?

EOSPete

Long time since I have posted. I have just done a whole batch of shows in various locations and one issue has emerged. The sound on my PTE presentations varies from venue to venue according to the acoustics.

Obviously I am not in a position to set up separate EQ for every venue in advance by altering the sounds trak for each show, so I wondered if there is a way or some plugin I can use to equalise the output from my soundcard before it goes to the speaker system. My soundcard is an Intel Integrated Audio card and I am using Cyber Acoustics A3640 Speakers 2.1 110W which does have a bass control on the handset but still tends to produce rather a woolly sound in some venues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

Thanks Ronnie I will follow that up

In carrying on my research I came across a 9 band graphic equaliser that show intensities for the various frequencies to help with trouble spotting. The spec say this can be driven by a sound card and feed an Hi-Fi so I am guessing my powered speakers. Looks pretty good value for money as well. http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/5984

If I get some definitive answers I will report back of course

Regards

P

EOS Pete

Hi Pete,

Following on from Ronnies' Posting ~ Maureen Allbright has a very nice Set-Up and if memory serves me correctly both she and I exchanged many EMails prior to her equipment selection and i will add that Maureen searched the UK 'Hi and Lo' before she found what she wanted ~ Her hard work certainly paid off but this task is not for the faint hearted....

The basic problems with small Auditoriums are the 'acoustics' which you are presented with and to which you have no control over, barring you want to invest in 'Hi-Teck Programmable Amplifiers' such as those in the Albert Hall London.

1)

Having said that there is the availability of excellent 'Hi-Fi Amplifiers' with 'Programmable Pre-Amplifiers' which can generate 'Pshcho-Acoustic Sound Fields' (Virtual Reality Auditoriums) which create spectacular Sound Environment's with the correct Loudspeakers ~ there in lies the crunch.

2)

Your ambition must be to get control of the Auditorium Acoustics and not allow it to dominate you, thats achieved every day of the week by Professional Musicians & Orchestra's, albeit you don't have their equipment to do so, because again it's down to the Loudspeakers they deploy.

3)

For the 'small outfit' the only Loudspeakers that work in small to medium Auditoriums are "Line Source Loudspeakers" ~ they are multiple loudspeakers arranged vertically in a substantial Cabinet placed just above sitting headheight directed to fire diagionally at 45° off-centre to the Halls longest dimension, one on either side of your audience about 20% of room width from the nearest wall.

4)

I am not talking about P.A.Church Loudspeakers (Voice only) ~ I am talking about "Musical Line Source Loudspeakers" such as those rented-out from P.A Rental Shops. These Speakers are not effected by 'Sound Pressure Gradients' within the Room nor are they effected by Room Resonance nor Room Reflections but they are power hungry in order to control the Pressure Gradients within the Room, effectively they take control of the Room Acoustics.

5)

The Stereo-Amplifier needs to be above 40Watts (RMS) per Channel to drive these Loudspeakers and the 'Envelope Shaping' Pre-Amplifier does the rest of the compenstaion.

Hope this helps somewhat...good luck in your searches.

Brian.Conflow.