WnSoft Forums

Running slideshow in VM on Intel Mac

mandarinfish

I realize I'm in uncharted territory here... I recently acquired a Macbook Pro, having previously used XP to create and play my slideshows. The first VM for Intel Mac (Parallels) was released this week (my thanks to those who flagged this on another thread with the Boot Camp and brought it to my attention), and I installed it along with XP, and have been trying to play my slideshows on it.

Slideshows that I created prior to May 2004 are playing. Sometime between Feb and May 2004, I upgraded my Pictures2Exe, and slideshows that I've created since then stall on the first slide. I'm trying to troubleshoot this a little to see if I can provide some useful information to Parallels.

Were there some significant changes to the display engine or other components in PTE in the late 2003 or early 2004 time frame?

All of my newer slideshows stall on the first slide, unfortunately. I'd like to try to get to the bottom of this, since PTE is one of my major reasons for wanting a Windows VM.

Thanks for any clues!

LINDA

SEE

maybe some help here

or people you can direct question to

ken

Thanks, Ken, though these don't help much, and I've seen them before (have been monitoring such threads for years...).

I have an Intel (not PPC) Mac, which does not require emulation, but just virtualization (or dual boot) to run Windows. VirtualPC is not yet available for Intel Mac. The first virtual machine available for Intel Macs was released in beta just this week. That is the VM I'm trying to use.

As I mentioned, some of my PTE slideshows are working fine (other than audio), but my newer ones (since 2004) are not. This beta VM does not yet have audio support (the product release will, I'm told). It may be that this was when PTE changed to using all internal audio support? (can't remember) If this is causing the problem, I can just wait and try it when the audio support comes available. If it's something else with the graphics engine, then I'd' like to scope it so that I can report it to Parallels. This is a beta, and they are listening to what people want in the release.

I've already done the route of converting to AVI, to QT, to Flash with Riva, etc, etc.... I also have another package that will produce QT slideshows directly (Liveslideshow) None of these give the kind of quality (and/or file size!) I'm after, or that PTE gives natively. That's why I am pursuing this. I know it's a long shot, but I still hope I can gather enough info on what is going wrong, rather than just giving up and using something else.

Thanks,

Linda

Thanks, Ken, though these don't help much, and I've seen them before (have been monitoring such threads for years...).

I have an Intel (not PPC) Mac, which does not require emulation, but just virtualization (or dual boot) to run Windows. VirtualPC is not yet available for Intel Mac. The first virtual machine available for Intel Macs was released in beta just this week. That is the VM I'm trying to use.

As I mentioned, some of my PTE slideshows are working fine (other than audio), but my newer ones (since 2004) are not. This beta VM does not yet have audio support (the product release will, I'm told). It may be that this was when PTE changed to using all internal audio support? (can't remember) If this is causing the problem, I can just wait and try it when the audio support comes available. If it's something else with the graphics engine, then I'd' like to scope it so that I can report it to Parallels. This is a beta, and they are listening to what people want in the release.

I've already done the route of converting to AVI, to QT, to Flash with Riva, etc, etc.... I also have another package that will produce QT slideshows directly (Liveslideshow) None of these give the kind of quality (and/or file size!) I'm after, or that PTE gives natively. That's why I am pursuing this. I know it's a long shot, but I still hope I can gather enough info on what is going wrong, rather than just giving up and using something else.

Thanks,

Linda

Hi Linda,

It was myself that posted the news of release of "Bootcamp" for Apple Mac's.

It would appear that the PTE version you were using was PTE 4.20 which came out in March 2004,

I personally use PTE 4.41 a later development.

If you open the PTE Program File and look for the "History Notepad" it should show you the changes

that were made in the interim period since PTE 4.20. If you want a 'copy' of PTE 4.20 I think I have

such somewhere in my archives.

May I suggest that you contact Igor Korolev directly and make yourself and your Project known to him.

Igor is always keen to discuss/find/solutions to such problems...particularily with the new PC Systems.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Linda,

It was myself that posted the news of release of "Bootcamp" for Apple Mac's.

It would appear that the PTE version you were using was PTE 4.20 which came out in March 2004,

I personally use PTE 4.41 a later development.

If you open the PTE Program File and look for the "History Notepad" it should show you the changes

that were made in the interim period since PTE 4.20. If you want a 'copy' of PTE 4.20 I think I have

such somewhere in my archives.

May I suggest that you contact Igor Korolev directly and make yourself and your Project known to him.

Igor is always keen to discuss/find/solutions to such problems...particularily with the new PC Systems.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the hint about the history file; that's provides alot of information. I'm guessing that I was using 4.20 (and later) for the slideshows that don't work, and 4.14 for the ones that do. The major difference is the ability to output AVI files, so I'm not sure how that's related to the problem. It could be something else.

I just downloaded and tried Igor's beautiful Far Worlds slideshow and verified that it does not run past the first slide on my Mac with the Parallels virtual machine.

If you still have 4.20 and maybe 4.14? I would be interested in trying them to verify that they can create shows that work. I'll also retry when audio is working to see if that is all the problem is. Let me know if you have those versions, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Ken & Linda,

Ken thank's for responding to Linda with PTE 4.20 version ~

Linda, stick at this 'Research" as there are many people on the Forum who would like to

resolve this issue a.s.a.p ~ particularily so, as the new 'Dual-Core Processors' are just

being released.

In effect you are joining with Ken, Guru, and many others who are "Beta Testing" and

actively engaged in this particular pursuit and be assured that Igor is fully aware of what's

going on and no doubt he will contact you shortly about this.

Brian.Conflow

Special thanks to Ken who provided me with some useful versions of PicturesToExe.

I also tested with the latest version, and created a slideshow without audio. This one works, so I am certain that the other shows were stalling only because of the lack of audio support in the VM (in the beta).

Parallels plans to put audio support in their VM before they go to product release. I'm hoping they'll put it in a beta beforehand too. I'll test again when support is there, but I anticipate it'll just work!

I'll post an update when I'm able to check that out. By the way, this VM is *fast*, at least for the things that I've tested on it.

Thanks for the support and help!

Linda