WnSoft Forums

AVI to MPG

thomasfw

Thomas, a few points... I agree with bfreas that TMPGEnc is pretty much the best available free encoder, but keep in mind that there are TWO MPG file formats (not counting DivX/MPG4). VCD disks are encoded with MPG1 and DVDs and SVCDs are encoded using MPG2. TMPGEnc does them both, so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't be intimidated by all the encoding options available in TMPGEnc because there are numerous help sites on the web in how to use it properly. I recommend going to VCD Help.com as a starting point in how to do just about anything with video.

THere are also two dominant AVI formats. The first is an uncompressed version that you get from a video camera. The avi files for this (DV1) are HUGE. On the order of 213 MB per minute of video! The other avi version is DV2 and is a compressed version that varies in quality according to the degree of compression used. DV2 is the more commonly seen unless you work with video a lot. I don't believe that Windows Media Player currently supplies a codec capable of viewing DV1 video. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas,

Sorry, I didn't see your replay earlier. Uncompressed AVI (DV1) can be converted to compressed AVI with the use of codecs like Indeo's codec. I think it is version 5.10 or 5.11 and it is also free. You *should* be able to see a compressed AVI on your computer, but you probably CAN'T see an uncompressed AVI unless you have the required codecs installed (which come with most Non Linear Editors).

Casey

Thomas, no, it only means that you have the codec for DV1 on your computer. Media Player *normally* doesn't come with this, but when you attempted to view the AVI either the program went to the internet automatically to find the codec OR, your NLE (Non Linear Editor) installed the codec when you installed the program.