WnSoft Forums

Selecting DVD Burning Software

JDoran

Hi,

Our camera club is purchasing software primarily to burn image/data files to CD/DVD. Some members plan to use P2Exe to create slideshows and I think they may want to create DVD's as well.

On the basis of comments on this forum I am selecting between Ulead Movie Factory 5 plus, Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, and Nero 7 Premium.

Other forums dedicated to burning software are not very encorouging with several posts highlighting problems with Ulead, Roxio, and Nero previous products. There does not seem to be a "best buy" or even clear critria that could be used to choose between them.

Anyone on this forum got any advice before I buy?

TIA

Thanks Ken, Tom for your help.

Tending towards MF5 Plus in view of your comments.

Thanks again.

Jane

I can't offer help because I badly need some on this subject myself. I am trying to burn PTE slideshows on DVD with Nero 7 Premium and Ulead MF 3. I get either perfect video but lousy audio, or vice versa, quite unpredictably and following exactly the same procedure every time, as instructed in the online help manuals.

No problem burning CDs from the exe files. They come out with superb quality both video and audio, using either Nero or Ulead 3.

I am desperately hoping that the long-awaited version of PTE with DVD burning capability will arrive soon and save my sanity.

Ernest

Ernest

I am desperately hoping that the long-awaited version of PTE with DVD burning capability will arrive soon and save my sanity.

Ernest,

To back up Ken's reply, see this note (post #3) earlier from Igor in response to the same suggestion:

"If we add own MPEG2 encoder it will increase prices, add 3 MB to size of program. After this we will be asked to add own DVD burner and creator of DVD menu :) I can't guarantee that all it will work without bugs on every PC. "

If you just want to burn a DVD (No authoring), I use CopyToDVD all the time. Check it out here:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/copytodvd/copytodvd.php

"CopyToDVD is a new generation DVD backup software tool to copy your music, games, movies, video, photos and data files. CopyToDVD provides you with a variety of ways to create CD(s) or DVD(s), such as integration to shell, user friendly frontend or FileDepot technology. With just a few clicks you can backup DVD movies, burn files, folders, pictures or photos, and music (MP3 Ogg Vorbis WMA Flac) to CD DVD. "

They just updated the program to a new version. It's very easy to use and has always worked with no problems.

Guest Techman1

Ernest,

I have used both MovieFactory 2 & 4 (MF) with very good results. The only thing that I do is let MF create my ISO files and not let it burn it to the DVD. Then when I have created the ISO files, then I use Nero to actually do the burning to DVD. I find that this is the most reliable way to create DVD's using MovieFactory.

Since I have started doing it this way, I don't waste any DVD's and have always received very good results. The video and music are both of very high quality (not as great as that on the PC (exe), but still very good). Ulead MF has some settings that you might want to consider revising when you are ready to create your final image (ISO file).

Good luck and hope this helps a little. I look forward to hearing from others on the reliability and functionality of the new MF5 version.

Take care all!

Fred

If you just want to burn a DVD (No authoring), I use CopyToDVD all the time. Check it out here:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/copytodvd/copytodvd.php

.........snip.............

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for the tip - sounds like a great program, especially for anyone who doesn't already have a user-friendly CD/DVD copy program.

As you probably gathered, most of the queries here on the forum are for something that will do a little more than just copy files - i.e. render to video and then copy to disk. As it stands now, the approach that Igor has taken with PTE (and I think it's a good one) is to prepare one's show for acceptance by a third-party program and then let the user choose which video program he or she prefers to use to render the show.

By the way, how did your Little League slideshow turn out?

Good luck with PTE! :)

Hi Al,

Yes I see that members want to create videos on DVD as well as basic burning files to CD/DVD. I have used Nero, Roxio and Pinnacle Studio (my favorite). I find the "do it all" programs don't always do it all well. It's obviously personal choice because there are a lot of people satisfied with all the aformentioned programs. I like to use programs, like PTE, which do what they are supposed to do very well and don't get bloated with extras that are more flash than substance.

As for the Little League Project I did have a somewhat finished version then I found this forum and all the creative ways to make a slideshow and that was good and bad. :D I did purchase Photoshop CS2, so now I am redoing the slideshow. It's easy to get lost in all the neat things that can be done with PTE. I just have to get the project finished and "get it out the door". :D It's been a great learning experience though that will surely continue.

Sorry for getting off the topic.

Guest Techman1

ernest

welcome to the forum

"long-awaited version of PTE with DVD burning capability" -- dont believe Igor ever plans that

ken

Well, I know I was surprised by this announcement today. Based on Ken's message above, I know he was too. ;)

PTE Deluxe Version - DVD Burning Software Included - Announced Today

Before you purchase any other software, you might want to consider this coming out soon. The nice thing is that Igor is only charging the difference to existing PTE customers to upgrade to the Deluxe version.

Take care all,

Fred

Guest Techman1

I believe this month's saying is, "Never say EVER"! :D

I hope you got your truck running fine again. I'm glad to hear you used wire. I probably would have used the all purpose - Duck Tape (it holds the universe together)!!!

Take care!

Fred

no room to use duct tape and the weight of the muffler was quite heavy -used a shovel for leaverage to lift muffler up - rammed a stake in the inlet and then the 9 ga wire around intermediate pipe and stake to keep off the road -- was tough slugging cause i could not remember how to use the fencing pliers to tighten while laying on my back and using one hand

ya have to keep stakes and garlic handy here in the north :)

ken