WnSoft Forums

DVD Aspect ratio

Roy

Royo

When creating a show specifically for DVD

In ver 5 are you using the “Show Safe TV Zone” feature?

Objects and Animation – Tools – Show Safe TV Zone. (Guidelines)

Ver 4:48 it is located in the Object Editor – top part of screen.

“Show TV Safe Zone”

Royo

When creating a show specifically for DVD

In ver 5 are you using the “Show Safe TV Zone” feature?

Objects and Animation – Tools – Show Safe TV Zone. (Guidelines)

Ver 4:48 it is located in the Object Editor – top part of screen.

“Show TV Safe Zone”

Thank you Ralph Still not quite sure what I need is a tutorial of Wnsoft DVD Builder

When you get to late 70s things are not easily understood.

Don't worry Royo it gets better when you are over 80 :D . Joking apart I too look forward to some useful tutorials once Version 5 has reached its final stages.

The use of the TV Safe Zone in Objects and Animation is understandable, but what is the equivalent setting in Project Options>Screen to match those borders?

Ron [uK]

Can anyone explain the best Aspect Ratio to use in PTE 5 Beta 7 and DVD builder

I have created a DVD in DVD builder using 4:3 but when I display it some aspects are just off screen

My TV is quite new.

Thank you Royo

Converting digital camera and/or computer images into a movie (DVD) format for the television will result in either a distorted image or a cropped image. This is because they are different standards. In addition, analog TVs (everything except the latest digital HDTVs, and only if they are being run in digital mode) vary from set to set and the image that can be seen depends on how well the set is adjusted. This is why there is a "TV Safe" zone function in most programs for making movies. It shows you what may not show up when displayed on any individual TV set. This is the easiest way to go when you want to be sure certain parts of the image show up in most people's TVs.

If you are talking about just your TV, and it is well adjusted, I've found the default settings in P2E do not produce the best movie, in terms of coverage and distortion. I've had better success with movies on my TV set to create a Custom AVI file with 740x480 dimensions (P2E adds two 40 pixel black bars on either side to preserve the aspect ratio of the photograph and at the same time put it into the correct dimension for the DVD format) and burn it with a DVD authoring program. I'm not certain if the latest betas with the DVD Builder included have the same problem as I haven't had much luck burning DVDs with it. With the Custom AVI, I see almost 100% on one axis and 96% on the other using standard 1024x768 photos from my camera and no other settings adjusted.

Ken Nickles made some good points on this matter in a post to the forum in 2004. The best explanation for this (which he also referenced) is a web page on aspect ratios by Jukka Aho

http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/

but it is a technical paper. The actual paper starts several pages down.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Converting digital camera and/or computer images into a movie (DVD) format for the television will result in either a distorted image or a cropped image. ............

Steve,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. I have put many shows at 4:3 aspect ratio onto DVD's made for a widescreen application at the 16:9 ("anamorphic video") aspect ratio. There may be some cropping when viewed on a TV set, but that is due to the TV set leaving off some of the image. In the DVD production, however, that part of the image is still present.

The 4:3 shows end up at 4:3 (un-cropped and un-distorted), but with the letter-box effect (black bands at either side), and the widescreen (15:9) shows appear with black bands on all 4 sides, but uncropped and un-distorted.

In the latest PTE, if I don't have a 4:3 aspect ratio show on the "anamorphic video" DVD, the 15:9 show appears almost full-screen, but with slight letterbox on the sides due to the slight difference between 15:9 and 16:9.

I'm not interested in all the fine-points about square pixels vs rectangular pixels, and the fact that the aspect ratio may end up as 15.1x9, etc, because when viewed on a TV set, or projected on the screen, everythng looks fine, and probably within the tolerances of my "keystone" correction, barrel distortion of the TV screen, etc. Everything in this business (even in jpegs being truly representative of a scene) is a compromise in some way. Even my images end up being distorted to some extent to start with. :)

Seeeing as Al started the ws thread many moons ago and Al, myself and the "hawk" have caused the dvd makers to put on an xtra shift to supply our needs of dvd's , i have to agree with Al.

He has widescreen and a projector at home , Hawk drives to his daughter's to use her ws plasma, and I head for my dealer to use their numerous screens -- including a 100"/dvd/projector setup.

we 3 have tried to inform the forum of all our findings and what we are up against -- Al hand delivered DVD's to me from him and Hawk on his journey south last year and I verified what they were seeing at my dealer"s place of business as well as testing them at friends home's that have ws tv's

we have discussed different pixels topics many times and lets face it,we are not Hollywood or the BBC -- we are doing the best we can with the tools we have.

I spend a lot of time going to tv dealers and look for "shimmer" etc on te screens -- they have the same problems we have - - the difference being

TV VS MONITOR VIEWING

as one member used to say "think outside the box"

ken

Converting digital camera and/or computer images into a movie (DVD) format for the television will result in either a distorted image or a cropped image. This is because they are different standards. In addition, analog TVs (everything except the latest digital HDTVs, and only if they are being run in digital mode) vary from set to set and the image that can be seen depends on how well the set is adjusted. This is why there is a "TV Safe" zone function in most programs for making movies. It shows you what may not show up when displayed on any individual TV set. This is the easiest way to go when you want to be sure certain parts of the image show up in most people's TVs.

If you are talking about just your TV, and it is well adjusted, I've found the default settings in P2E do not produce the best movie, in terms of coverage and distortion. I've had better success with movies on my TV set to create a Custom AVI file with 740x480 dimensions (P2E adds two 40 pixel black bars on either side to preserve the aspect ratio of the photograph and at the same time put it into the correct dimension for the DVD format) and burn it with a DVD authoring program. I'm not certain if the latest betas with the DVD Builder included have the same problem as I haven't had much luck burning DVDs with it. With the Custom AVI, I see almost 100% on one axis and 96% on the other using standard 1024x768 photos from my camera and no other settings adjusted.

Ken Nickles made some good points on this matter in a post to the forum in 2004. The best explanation for this (which he also referenced) is a web page on aspect ratios by Jukka Aho

http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/

but it is a technical paper. The actual paper starts several pages down.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Thank you for your help Steve

Royo