WnSoft Forums

Off Topic question

lathompson

I go to open a file, I get this:

I would have shown a screen shot but don't know how to display it here, so here is a description of the pop up.

Title of the dialog box: OPEN FILE - SECURITY WARNING

The message:

Do you want to open this file?

Name: xxxxxx.jpg

Publisher: xxx

Type: xxx

Then:

two buttons, one opens the image, the other cancels.

Then, in a small section at the bottom, there is a small yellow shield with an exclamation point in it and the text beside it reads: While files from the internet can be useful, this file type can potentially harm your computer. If you trust the source, do not open this software. ("What's the risk?" link)

There appears to be no way to turn this off and it's driving me nuts when I have to click okay everytime I want to open an image. It's only on this computer and it just started doing this.

I looked in my AVG AV settings to see if a recent upgrade started this protective measure on it's own. Couldn't find any reference to it. Also looked in my Windows XP firewall settings. I don't use the Windows firewall, it's turned off, so nothing there should be dealing with this warning, I'm guessing.

I do most all windows upgrades on all my computers when they are available and I don't allow them to be installed automatically. I always approve each one. My browser is Firefox and my email is Thunderbird, so Microsoft Explorer or Outlook shouldn't be doing anything. I know there is an upgrade to ME but I have not activated that.

Anyone have an idea where this is coming from? The shield looks like the kind that pops up on the task bar whenever an update available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry

are you trying to open the file in

your mail program

or

windows explorer

when did it start

windows xp?

do a system restore to before it started if you have not installed a bunch of stuff

do a screen shot

paste it into paint

save it as a jpg to a known spot -- desktop

then

when you reply to this letter

below this pane is a slot file attachments

select browse and direct to desktop -- find your screenshot, then click add this attachment

and click

add reply

ken

post-16-1164926853_thumb.jpg

I would have shown a screen shot but don't know how to display it here, so here is a description of the pop up.

The message:

Then:

Then, in a small section at the bottom, there is a small yellow shield with an exclamation point in it and the text beside it reads: While files from the internet can be useful, this file type can potentially harm your computer. If you trust the source, do not open this software.

Larry,

One way you might get rid of this is to lower your security level from say "Medium" to "Medium-low" in the setup menu of your browser. You will have to decide, from the description given, (or read up on it on the web), just what level of security you feel you need.

LARRY,

The following is by way of trying to help you, so don't take exception to anything I say !.

1)

It appears you are using Windows XP and XP without its Firewall has absolutely no defense

against anything.

3)

The Firewall is "turned-off" or so you think ! ~ What is turned off is its "blocking" capability

but it is still actively Monitoring whats coming in but doing nothing about it. (Good Firewalls do that)

4)

If you are using Norton A/V is it fully paid up to date ? ~ If not the Full Protection will have run

out and although it appears to be upgradings it doesn't install the upgrades, so watch that !

5)

Mozilla Firefox has certain protections built into its Browser (unlike I.E) aren't you lucky ?

Summary

You have downloaded an 'Infected JPeg Image' which is still on the system and and the Shield

is telling you its still there. That Icon is probably coming out of Norton and in fact you are now

caught in a "Catch 22" situation. If you remove Norton (if you can) you have a real problem:-

either bring it up to date or download another AV.Program and that won't load properly with

Norton on the System.....That would entail removing Norton and what a massive job that is !

To verify what I have written:- Get on to Paretologic.com and download a Free Scan of

their program "XoftSpy"- run this and see the results for yourself. You are not obliged to buy it !

Link

http://www.paretologic.com

Now decide what you want to do....I would suggest to upgrade your current AV.Program, if not

go out and buy Kaspersky Lab A/V...it has facilities for removing Norton and that 'pesky bug'.

Brian.Conflow.

The message:

Do you want to open this file? ...................

Larry, further to my note above, this is what I see when I click on image files from my email manager. However there is an option to request that files of this type be allowed in future (see arrow in screenshot below).

post-215-1164976066_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the delay on this reply. Have bad storm, power out, services down. Working now.

Ken, thanks for the explanation on posting the message. I'm not in a mailing program or necessarily in any other program, I'm simply opening a file by opening a folder and double clicking on it. then I get this:

post-13-1165008339_thumb.jpg

Ah-Ha, I just discovered that this only happens with images that I open through my network! But, if I open a file on the computer that this is happening on, and I take the path directly to it, no message appears. And any file on this computer can be opened without this happening as long as I take a direct path to it. Now, when I take a path going through my network, pick this computer, navigate to the same file or files, I will get a the message above.

So I've narrowed this problem down to any file that I access through my business network, BUT from THIS computer only. The other 8 computers in my network open images just fine, regardless of which computer they reside on. Only this one displays this weirdness.

Thanks to all of you for the answers above. Here are answers to your posted comments:

First, Norton AV has not and will never be on my computers again since I ditched it 4 years ago, ever!!! Damn program is like a spider weaving into your system never to be stopped and the worst program this side of McAfee for giving me popups, reminders and... well, you see I don't like Norton very much... Not that theres anything wrong with that... Harry, the little shield does look like a Norton shield. It also looks like the little shield on the task bar that reminds you that you have updates waiting.

I use Grisoft's AVG and it's updated daily. My firewall is ZoneAlarm and it's updated daily. I just this minute finished scanning AVG with no viruses detected. My security level is no different than it has been for years. I don't think I should change that at this point.

Brian, thank you for your detailed contribution. I wish I had Norton working so I could do what you have outlined... Uhh, on second thought, no, I don't think so...

larry

LARRY

I think I have solved your dilema ~ your Screenshot answers the problem !

Somehow or other you downloaded/or/were sent a Jpeg Image from a new Sony Laptop Computer

the Tradename of which is "Sony VAIO" followed by Model No:XXX.

This Sony is using 'Corel Software' which is also used on Mac's and Mini-Mainframes. It is using

Corel Draw or Corel Grafix to process images prior to sending them over the NET.

Quite some time ago Corel aquired the sole rights to 'Wordperfect' and if you are using Microsoft

Word '97 or 2000 there is a facility within these to process Corel Wordperfect and Corel Image products.

I may be wrong,I also think Photoshop has a similar utility to handle Corel/Viao images.

It looks as if Grisoft AVG is not set-up to recognise Corel/Viao products and in my opinion you may be

getting a 'False Alarm' which is quite common with Grisoft !

May I suggest....

Scan the image with your Grisoft AVG and if its O.K press the "Start Button" on your Screen (lower LH.side)

select-->Search/Find-->when the Search Window opens-->type in the Corel/Viao File name and run a search.

When the image is found (within the Search Window) simply RH.Clk on it and select delete,thats it.

See Attachment.

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1165017695_thumb.jpg

LARRY

I think I have solved your dilema ~ your Screenshot answers the problem !

Somehow or other you downloaded/or/were sent a Jpeg Image from a new Sony Laptop Computer

the Tradename of which is "Sony VAIO" followed by Model No:XXX.

This Sony is using 'Corel Software' which is also used on Mac's and Mini-Mainframes. It is using

It looks as if Grisoft AVG is not set-up to recognise Corel/Viao products and in my opinion you may be

getting a 'False Alarm' which is quite common with Grisoft !

May I suggest....

Scan the image with your Grisoft AVG and if its O.K press the "Start Button" on your Screen (lower LH.side)

select-->Search/Find-->when the Search Window opens-->type in the Corel/Viao File name and run a search.

When the image is found (within the Search Window) simply RH.Clk on it and select delete,thats it.

See Attachment.

Brian.Conflow.

Yes, I wish it were that easy Brian, but I forgot to mention that when I posted that screenshot, but all JPG files on my computers are destined to be tagged as corel-paint type files. I have used CorelDRAW since it first came out and still do daily. I have another older program that I use for creating fake personalized magazine covers and sports trading cards automatically. It saves me hours of time daily. CorelPAINT, part of that suite, plays a big part in that scripted operation. Every file that is edited on my computer using CS2 or any other photo editor, ends up being tagged as a corel-paint file type. BTW, I never edit with anything but CS2. In spite of this, COREL-PAINT just wants to control the labeling of all file types, whether they go through COREL or not. Many image files come straight from the Camera, into CS2, then off to my lab and then go to archives. I can navigate back to that image file and find that it is now a COREL-PAINT type of image. Isn't that weird?

I Never did find out why that *re-typing* of my JPGs took place... I did find that there is no way to change it, but it doesn't matter. This has never caused a problem and still doesn't. It's the same on all the other machines that has COREL programs loaded, BUT they don't have this popup problem, even when going through the network to open a JPG.

Also, my AVG has been set to scan every image before it is opened and particularly, everything that is downloaded. For me, it has not had any false positives to my knowledge. I know some people have reported false positives, but I have not experienced that.

That was very interesting about the SONY files from newer SONY laptop computers. Guess this is something I'm going to have to live with, or I need to switch to another computer to do my editing. Afterall, this is the only computer that has the problem. I don't want to do that for many reasons I won't bore you with here.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry

This gets more interesting, but it seems that I am on the right track !

Comment:-

Like Windows Media Player for Sound, many Graphics Programs have a hierachy to process Images.

It seems to me that you have accidentally set the Corel Program as the "On-Top Graphic Program"

which makes it difficult to access other programs 'on-call'.

Somewhere in the Corel Opening Window there is a Button titled "Options" or "Preferences" and if

you find this I bet you have selected the function 'All Image Associations' or another titled 'On-Top'

which means you have set it as the de-facto primary Working Program to the exclusion of others.

This also answers why your other Computers don't do as you Personal PC does. (slang english)

If you want the choice of "Opening With" another program you have to cancel the Corel Association,

but don't be alarmed as it will appear when you RH.Clk on any Image where-in the opening Screen

you can have the choice of opening with multiple Programs by choosing.....'Open With' option.

As I said before, you can do a Search/Find and delete any 'pesky' Image from the Search Window,

that applies to ALL Operating Systems and I must say I am a loss to understand why you don't

do that as that rogue Image is what you origionally reported and was the basis of this 'Thread' ?

Hope this helps...

Brian.Conflow.

The message:

Then:

Then, in a small section at the bottom, there is a small yellow shield with an exclamation point in it and the text beside it reads: While files from the internet can be useful, this file type can potentially harm your computer. If you trust the source, do not open this software. ("What's the risk?" link)

There appears to be no way to turn this off and it's driving me nuts when I have to click okay everytime I want to open an image. It's only on this computer and it just started doing this.

I looked in my AVG AV settings to see if a recent upgrade started this protective measure on it's own. Couldn't find any reference to it. Also looked in my Windows XP firewall settings. I don't use the Windows firewall, it's turned off, so nothing there should be dealing with this warning, I'm guessing.

I do most all windows upgrades on all my computers when they are available and I don't allow them to be installed automatically. I always approve each one. My browser is Firefox and my email is Thunderbird, so Microsoft Explorer or Outlook shouldn't be doing anything. I know there is an upgrade to ME but I have not activated that.

Anyone have an idea where this is coming from? The shield looks like the kind that pops up on the task bar whenever an update available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

This little shield appeared on my desktop some time ago and like you it drove me nuts I can assure that it nothing to do with Norton as i've never used it. Eventually the only way I got rid of was to reinstall, drastic but it worked

Best of luck...Hastinga

This little shield appeared on my desktop some time ago and like you it drove me nuts I can assure that it nothing to do with Norton as i've never used it. Eventually the only way I got rid of was to reinstall, drastic but it worked

Best of luck...Hastinga

HASTINGA

Look at Larry's Post No:98 and the 'Attachment' ~ It quite clearly shows that the 'rogue file' is a Corel-Viao JPeg Image. To suggest by inference to re-install his XP System is a bit OTT until all other avenues are explored. Furthermore in this instance he could invoke the utility "Restore to last known Good Configuration" within XP ~if he so wished. This before resorting to a full 'Re-Install' which creates many serious problems unless you have the 'System Utilities Disc' to hand.

I also think at this stage that we have really gone as far as we can go with this 'Off-Topic' thread and its really up to Larry as to how he should proceed..

Brian.Conflow.

HASTINGA

Look at Larry's Post No:98 and the 'Attachment' ~ It quite clearly shows that the 'rogue file' is a Corel-Viao JPeg Image. To suggest by inference to re-install his XP System is a bit OTT until all other avenues are explored. Furthermore in this instance he could invoke the utility "Restore to last known Good Configuration" within XP ~if he so wished. This before resorting to a full 'Re-Install' which creates many serious problems unless you have the 'System Utilities Disc' to hand.

I also think at this stage that we have really gone as far as we can go with this 'Off-Topic' thread and its really up to Larry as to how he should proceed..

Brian.Conflow.

Okay guys, I've been up to my a$$ in snow-power outage-ice problems here and have not been able to put much time on the computer probelm, however I 'm back at the office now and I have at the very least, made the problem go away.

Yes, the program COREL-PAINT has been set to associate JPGs as it's own (and for the last 10 years). That has never been the issue because I don't care what type file the programs designates it to be as long as the file behaves normally for me. For years, the JPGs have given me no problems until this problem came up. I didn't think (and still don't) think there is any rouge file on my computer. I searched, my AV program can't find one and so I still don't think that was a problem. However... Brian, you said to go in an dis-associate the JPG type from COREL... This morning I did that and of course, the JPGs are now designated simply as JPGs, not Corel jpgs. BUT, lo n behold, the pop up message no longer pops up. That surprised me. Why has this pop up not been doing this for the last 10 years? All of the settings are the same.

Well I don't have to understand how this worked, all I'm concerned with is that it did and the message has stopped popping up. Brian, your push to make the association change made the difference. I just didn't think that would do it.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for helping. Now we can all get back to talking and working with P2E.

larry

Larry,

I knew Brian would solve your problem - he usually knows what he is talking about! :)

Just one further suggestion - I have set IrfanView as the default program for opening jpegs whenever I receive one attached to an email, or when I double click on a file, as I have found it to be much faster than photoshop or corel draw in opening image files. And, by hitting "Enter", the image is immediately viewed full-screen.

Al, I'd configured my system in the same way: Irfanview was my default image viewer for all pictures. And this is very easy to do. It suffices to open Irfanview, go to Options > Properties > Extensions and select "Images only".

But now I've preferred to chose PixBuilder Studio to open Jpeg and Gif, because it is almost as fast as Irfanview, the image quality is better and I can edit pictures much more accurately than with Irfanview.

Wow! I've seen this is my 1000th post. I congratulate me... :)

Al, I'd configured my system in the same way: Irfanview was my default image viewer for all pictures. And this is very easy to do. It suffices to open Irfanview, go to Options > Properties > Extensions and select "Images only".

But now I've preferred to chose PixBuilder Studio to open Jpeg and Gif, because it is almost as fast as Irfanview, the image quality is better and I can edit pictures much more accurately than with Irfanview.

Wow! I've seen this is my 1000th post. I congratulate me... :)

Guru, Congrats on your 1000th post. I see we signed up on this forum the same day... Today, I posted my 100th post? Guess I'm slow, huh?

Al...

I have always designated ACDsee as the program to open all of my files. It is my browser of choice and where I rotate, rename and categorize my images. Even all these years with images being shown to be corel-paint images, ACDsee still opened them when double clicked. Corel opened one.

larry

Yes, welcome to the forum, Harry!

You are a brave man - most people start by asking questions, and here you are already offering advice! :)

Keep up the good work - we need more people like you around the Forum! (not that there's anything wrong with asking questions! :) )

Okay guys, I've been up to my a$$ in snow-power outage-ice problems here and have not been able to put much time on the computer probelm, however I 'm back at the office now and I have at the very least, made the problem go away.

Yes, the program COREL-PAINT has been set to associate JPGs as it's own (and for the last 10 years). That has never been the issue because I don't care what type file the programs designates it to be as long as the file behaves normally for me. For years, the JPGs have given me no problems until this problem came up. I didn't think (and still don't) think there is any rouge file on my computer. I searched, my AV program can't find one and so I still don't think that was a problem. However... Brian, you said to go in an dis-associate the JPG type from COREL... This morning I did that and of course, the JPGs are now designated simply as JPGs, not Corel jpgs. BUT, lo n behold, the pop up message no longer pops up. That surprised me. Why has this pop up not been doing this for the last 10 years? All of the settings are the same.

Well I don't have to understand how this worked, all I'm concerned with is that it did and the message has stopped popping up. Brian, your push to make the association change made the difference. I just didn't think that would do it.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for helping. Now we can all get back to talking and working with P2E.

larry

LARRY

[i]......Quote:-BUT, lo an behold, the pop up message no longer pops up. That surprised me. Why has this pop up not been doing this for the last 10 years? All of the settings are the same....[/i]

Just to answer that point:- JPeg Images sometimes contain 'hidden script' or 'code' such as Watermarks and Display Instructions....most of the time these are completely innocent, but now and again some idiot decides to load malicious script into them such as a Virus or Trojan. Then again the Image could contain some innocent Sun Java Code and as XP does not have a Sun Java Reader up comes the Warning Flag, the same would happen if the implanted innocent 'script-code' was badly written.

By dis-associating the XP Graphic Engine from Corel-Draw you broke the 'scripting-hook' within the Image and your XP is no longer trying to auto-download something it can't understand....(simple explaination)

Larry, over the year's I have pulled my hair out over these System glitches and 'one-off bugs' which can cause absolute mayhem in Control Data Electronics (thats my field)...in your case it was a unique once-off experience.

Best of Luck,

Brian.Conflow.