WnSoft Forums

Timeline Problem

Barry C

P2E version 4.48. I have a project of 67 slides, every one set to 'P' with customised times and transitions. The music duration is 3m 11s. Project Options set to not synchronise to music duration. When I look at timeline, it extends to 3m 11s, and the 67th slide ends at 2m 37.5s. However, when I play the preview, the music does indeed stop at 3m 11s but the show continues for a total time of 4m 23s!

If I add another piece of music it extends the timeline but the slides still show as ending at 2m 37.5s.

As an example, the timeline says slide 10 starts at 18.5s, but when I run the show it starts at 49.5s.

Hi, Barry,

Welcome to the Forum.

First of all, does the slide list contain slides not indicated on the timeline? In other words, do you have more than 67 slides in the slide list? If so, remove the slides not on the timeline.

Secondly, check the timeline for slides added past the vertical red end-of-music indicator-line. (If there is no line, then you are OK). Either remove any of these too, and also from the slide list, or else adjust the timing of the show (slide durations and transition times) so that all the slides fit on the timeline. Remember that in v.4 the total time should equal the total "duration" times plus the total "transition" times.

Thirdly, if all of these conditions are met and there are still timing problems, report back here.

Hello Al, thanks for replying.

I have 67 jpgs in the slide list and 67 on the timeline.

I have no red line in either the slide list or the timeline.

It's the timeline that's incorrect, i.e. my total durations plus transitions time exceeds the music although the timeline says the opposite.

Barry

Hello Al, thanks for replying.

I have 67 jpgs in the slide list and 67 on the timeline.

I have no red line in either the slide list or the timeline.

It's the timeline that's incorrect, i.e. my total durations plus transitions time exceeds the music although the timeline says the opposite.

Barry

Barry,

This is the way the timeline works in non-synched mode. If you add a number of slides to the slide list, and set project options in certain way, unless you customize the timing of certain slides, they will play back according to the timing you have set, or using the default timing, if you have not changed anything.

Even if you use the timeline to change certain intervals, so that the show time matches the music, and then re-select "non-synched mode", when you exit from the timeline the times you have set there will be ignored, and PTE will follow the default times, or any times you have modified in Project Options or Customize Slide.

To make the show fit the music in non-synched mode, you have to change the default times and/or transition times in Project Options and/or Customize slide.

So, you can see, it's easier in this case to use the "synchronized" option, and set the new times on the timeline, in which case the default or modified times in Project Options, etc., will be ignored, and the show will fit the music.

Barry,

This is the way the timeline works in non-synched mode. If you add a number of slides to the slide list, and set project options in certain way, unless you customize the timing of certain slides, they will play back according to the timing you have set, or using the default timing, if you have not changed anything.

Even if you use the timeline to change certain intervals, so that the show time matches the music, and then re-select "non-synched mode", when you exit from the timeline the times you have set there will be ignored, and PTE will follow the default times, or any times you have modified in Project Options or Customize Slide.

To make the show fit the music in non-synched mode, you have to change the default times and/or transition times in Project Options and/or Customize slide.

So, you can see, it's easier in this case to use the "synchronized" option, and set the new times on the timeline, in which case the default or modified times in Project Options, etc., will be ignored, and the show will fit the music.

Hello Al

I'm not trying to synchronise the slides to the background music. Each slide has a custom time and effect because they must fit a voice narrative I have recorded and which I will add later. Can you explain why the timeline shows the 67 slides last a total of 2m 37.5s yet when I play the Preview it lasts for 4m 23s?

Hello Al

I'm not trying to synchronise the slides to the background music. Each slide has a custom time and effect because they must fit a voice narrative I have recorded and which I will add later. Can you explain why the timeline shows the 67 slides last a total of 2m 37.5s yet when I play the Preview it lasts for 4m 23s?

Hello Al

I've worked out what the problem is, but don't know how to correct it. The total of the 67 individual slide times comes to 2m 37.5s - the figure on the Timeline, but the total of the 67 transitions adds to 1m 41s. So the Timeline is only showing the slide times without the transitions.

Barry

Barry,

If you are not synching the show to music, forget about the timeline, and just concentrate on making each slide the right time to fit the narrative. The times shown are not the same, especially after you have made some changes. The timeline is used in synced shows in order to be able to "tweak" the times between transitions, and the durations thereof.

In the new version 5, this discrepancy does not occur. But the catch right now is that you can't add narration for each slide separately at the moment in v.5.

Barry,

If you are not synching the show to music, forget about the timeline, and just concentrate on making each slide the right time to fit the narrative. The times shown are not the same, especially after you have made some changes. The timeline is used in synced shows in order to be able to "tweak" the times between transitions, and the durations thereof.

In the new version 5, this discrepancy does not occur. But the catch right now is that you can't add narration for each slide separately at the moment in v.5.

Thanks Al for explaining that. As I want to make a show with background music running throughout, with clips of voice narration coming in with certain slides, it seems I cannot do that in P2E. I perhaps should not say this in this forum, but I've just tried out the show in ProShow Gold, and so far it's working real okay. Thanks again.

Barry

Thanks Al for explaining that. As I want to make a show with background music running throughout, with clips of voice narration coming in with certain slides, it seems I cannot do that in P2E. I perhaps should not say this in this forum, but I've just tried out the show in ProShow Gold, and so far it's working real okay. Thanks again.

Barry

Barry,

Of course you can do this in PTE. (see my tutorial, "PTE-101" on Beechbrook - it's not synchronized, and I used narration for nearly every slide). You can superimpose narration using the "Sound" line, over whatever background music you have running. But when I developed the tutorial, in those days you couldn't even see the timeline if the show was non-synched.

If I were you, I would use the "synchronization" option. Then you will be able to visualize the slideshow from the timeline, and also tweak it from there to make small changes to the timing for each slide. If you use this option, it will override any custom timing settings you have selected.

The main problem with using the timeline in this case is that you can't hear the narration when you "Play" the timeline preview. However, you will hear it if you use the "Preview" button on the timeline window, instead, to preview the show. With this button, you can also replay the show from the transition you have selected without leaving the timeline view, or without replaying the entire selection. You also get a full-screen preview instead of just a little window, but of course you can't see the timeline when you use this option.

It would be nice if Igor would add the ability to listen to the "Sound" insertions when previewing on the timeline. (hint, hint! :) )

PTE 4.48 handles synchronization better than most other programs I know of, and it is a lot easier than it may seem. :)

Best of luck!