WnSoft Forums

Pic2exe on DVD

bripat

I have been using this excellent program for 4 years and always displayed results directly from a laptop to either my LCD TV or to my digital projector/screen. The image clarity is excellent. I recently had need to produce a DVD, for distribution to family, a family event .exe show. I used ROXIO My DVD software.

I followed recommended settings such as interlacing, but the picture quality from the DVD on TV and Projection was noticeably inferior to that directly from my laptop. I had believed that the digital process would give effectively a cloned image quality..

What is the experience of forum members in this respect? Am I expecting too much? Would it ever be possible to achieve equivalent quality on DVD?

Brian

I followed recommended settings such as interlacing, but the picture quality from the DVD on TV and Projection was noticeably inferior to that directly from my laptop. I had believed that the digital process would give effectively a cloned image quality..

What is the experience of forum members in this respect? Am I expecting too much? Would it ever be possible to achieve equivalent quality on DVD?

Brian,

I doubt if the quality of DVD (even high-definition) will ever be as good as an "exe" file shown directly on a pc or projector. It has something to do with the fact that your high-resolution images are squished down to 720 x 480, (or 540, or 576, or some similar size), in the process, and then expanded out to fit the screen. With this happening to your images, the video results can never be the same as in your original show.

It's a little like taking a piece of paper, cutting it into pieces, throwing away some of the pieces, rolling it all up into a ball, and then trying to smooth it out and put it all back together again. It can never look the same as it did. :) The amazing thing is how good the image does look on a TV set, considering what it has been through.

With high-definition TV, there are codecs which don't scrunch your images down as much (e.g. 1920 x 1080, or 1035, or 1152, or whatever), but that is a ways off in the future for us. Even here, I'm sure the images will go through some sort of a degenerating transformation in the interests of overall compatibility.

Brian,

I doubt if the quality of DVD (even high-definition) will ever be as good as an "exe" file shown directly on a pc or projector. It has something to do with the fact that your high-resolution images are squished down to 720 x 480, (or 540, or 576, or some similar size), in the process, and then expanded out to fit the screen. With this happening to your images, the video results can never be the same as in your original show.

It's a little like taking a piece of paper, cutting it into pieces, throwing away some of the pieces, rolling it all up into a ball, and then trying to smooth it out and put it all back together again. It can never look the same as it did. :) The amazing thing is how good the image does look on a TV set, considering what it has been through.

With high-definition TV, there are codecs which don't scrunch your images down as much (e.g. 1920 x 1080, or 1035, or 1152, or whatever), but that is a ways off in the future for us. Even here, I'm sure the images will go through some sort of a degenerating transformation in the interests of overall compatibility.

[/quot

Brian,

Thanks for that Al, you have confirmed what I suspected. I shal try to stick to .exe files straight onto my LCD TV.

Brian