WnSoft Forums

Simple instructions to Audacity?

okiediver

Are there simple instructions for this program? I downloaded it and I'm lost. I want to incorporate different sections of music at specific points, and do the shutter "click" for some fast slides. Anyone have any suggestions?

I love this PTE program, I am now consumed with it!

Okiediver,

There is a very detailed help section on the menu bar at the top - says "online", but I think it's included in the downloaded material.

Guest guru

Al,

I didn't find the help file in downloaded Audacity. But it is possibile to find it (in zipped html format) at this address:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help.php?lang=it

Okiediver,

as for adding the shutter "click" effect to slides, the most convenient method is to add it to each slide in "Sound" box (third at the bottom of right main panel). To do this, insert it in a slide, then copy and paste in all other ones you want.

Guido,

Maybe I have a later version of the program (1.0.0). There is a separate "help" tab on the menu bar at the top on my version.

I haven't use Audacity myself, but the help instructions look very detailed and orderly. There are 12 tutorials, and lots of other useful information on how to edit files, combine them, etc.

The menu is labelled "on-line" help, but I think it's all from the included Help file.

Guest guru

You're right, Al. I use usually v1.1.1 beta, that has not the .htb help file.

I just downloaded the new 1.1.3 beta, where this help is present.

But as to this last beta version pay attention please! I wasn't able to run it under my Win 2000 - it crashes as soon as I launch "audacity.exe".

Anyhow this help file, as you say, is very detailed and orderly, and is seems almost identical to separate help (zipped html) I indicated in my previous post.

Okiediver,

I'm not sure I follow you - is this supposed to be a feature of PTE, or is it a special effect you want to add to a show?

I think you are referring to shutter click sounds in the sound track - if so, you would have to dub them into a music file using a sound-editing program. You can do this easily in Cool Edit 2000, which I am more familiar with, but I believe it is also possible in Audacity by creating a small sound file, opening it along with the main music file, and positioning it where desired on the time-line.

Okiediver,

After refreshing my mind on PTE options, I think I have a better idea of what you are wanting to do. If you are using version 4.01 of PTE, you should have a box under "comments" called "sound", and a file-finding box you can click on to choose a sound file for the slide that is highlighted.

This sound will play when that slide is opened in the PTE slide show, along with whatever music is playing at the time. Make sure that "continue playing current sound file" under "customize slide" / "music" is checked.

You have to provide the sound clip (wave or mp3 file), though, by creating one and recording it in Audacity or Cool Edit 2000, etc. Hope this helps.

Guest guru

Forgive me Okiediver, my reply was probably not clear enough, but Al explained better than me how to get the effect you want.

Only a little remark: when you add mixed sounds to soundtrack for some sldes in "Sound" box, it's NOT necessary to check "Customize slide".

As to rotating, moving or fading text, for now the only way is to make some slides with an image editor and change them as quickly as possible.

Okiediver,

As Guido indicated, you can make PTE accomplish all sorts of special effects with the image editor, and by speeding up the showing of slides, etc.

To make text fade in and out, you can either put text on a second appearance of a slide, using the image editor, and then put another instance of the same slide without image editor text after it. So, you will have three "copies" of the same image (actually there is only one image in the show, but one image used three times - this is allowed, and it doesn't take up any more space than using it once!)

Then you select a "fade" transition (or circle, etc., for special effect), and the text will fade in and out, leaving the main slide motionless.

To be sure that the text is where you want it over a large selection of pc's, it is best to add the text to a copy of the image in a photo editor, such as photoshop, and use two separate images in PTE, one with text, and one without.

Guido is correct about not having to customize the slide (after all, that is why we call him the Guru! :) Only if you have already customized it and checked "stop music" would it be necessary to go back and check "continue playing". This happened to be the case in the example I tried out in order to answer your question. Hope this helps. :)

i kept trying and with the help of a friend, i manage to "Marry some mp3" :D

my notes in case some body else is having probs

merge mp3's using soundforge or - audacity

19:08 5/28/03

new

project

import audio

just open a mp3 file and then Click on

EDIT and select all,

then copy...close window,

open a NEW file and paste,

minimize that one, open another mp3 file, Edit select all, copy, close the

window, open the new one your making or rather maximise and paste

can do that as many times as you wish

if you are careful you can click the merge point and not have a gap

ken :blink:

Ken,

With most of the sound editing programs I have seen, once you have loaded in all your images, and positioned them along the timelines (audacity opens each sound clip in a separate timeline), you have to "mix down" to create a single sound file.

Guest guru

Ken, Al is right, it's not so complicated!

Try to do this way:

1) Open Audacity

2) Project > Import Audio 1

3) Project > Import Audio 2

4) Select <---> symbol (top left), and move forward the 2nd file.

5) Play to check if the effect is right.

6) If so, File > Export as Mp3 (or if you prefer as a Windows Wav).

it is pretty easy the way i did it

my problem is i've been away from writing operating instructions since i retired 10 yrs ago this aug 31 :D

you have to read my mind i guess - the hockey night in Canada - beer and coke commercials i married my way were pretty slick :D

but hangin out with you guys is what i call an advanced extension course

ken :blink:

Guido & Ken,

Maybe when you save in Audacity, it automatically mixes everything together. I'm more familiar with Cool Edit where you do a "mix-down" before you save.

With all the experience you two have, I wish I could read your minds! :blink:

I realize that, Guido, but one is not always merely "appending" them.

I usually overlap them, or sometimes merge two together, if I am combining a special sound with the background music, for instance.

(i.e., a marriage is not always a matter of taking on an appendage - it often comes with some merging of assets). :blink:

Guest guru
a marriage is not always a matter of taking on an appendage - it often comes with some merging of assets

I agree, Al... :D But I quoted the words of Ken: "i manage to 'Marry some mp3' " :blink: