WnSoft Forums

NT PROBLEMS

Ken Cox

As NT problems don't come up that often, i decided to raid the current thread

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...ct=ST&f=2&t=711

so that members might have an easier time with their searches for NT problems

and possibly others will add problems they have encountered with NT to this thread

ken

Mark ,

Ive seen your CD Writer specs (40x10x32) ... but just another fact to take into account is the CD Disc specs also. Just keep in mind that Discs too have limitations in capabilities. And, even thought 1 Gig of Ram is installed ... what is the AVAIL RAM when all is said and done. Lots of users have system hogs running eating up that RAM.

As for the State Farm PCs ... would they happen to still be running W NT4 OS ?

Alot of office systems I have dealt with still have W NT4 with some mixes of W 2000. Also, many office machines (esp old office machines) barely have a capable graphics card ... and when they have that old and slow of a card ... they are usually well behind in the DirectX version scale. Commonly, most office equipment isnt geared for fast speed content or display ... they are geared for production of tasks. Alot of companies dont even UPDATE their system routinely/properly ... they figure since their equip performs already as needed for tasks at hand, why do they need updating.

Lots of things to inquire about ...esp when dealing with a multitude/variety of office equipment still out there.

--------------------

... nobeefstu

Mark,

Well my inquiry of the W NT4 OS is mainly due to gather information and basic facts ... its not because that OS has any problems running a PTE show.

When I know a user/customer is currently running NT4 ... it indicates somewhat a first impression of what hardware their PC may have installed. In most cases those PCs have barely capable hardware to perform any type of demanding graphic applications. Their CDRom Drives are usually low end , graphic and sound cards are low end, pretty much everthing is low end. Also in most cases ... they are running many background and start-up processes due to the nature of most NT4 users ... better to suit the office environment needs.

Older generation lap-tops also suffer from this barely capable hardware installed.

So with this first impression inquiry ... I generally know how to create my Proposal Shows. "Keep it Simple" to put it simply.

So the bottom line is : since you cant make their PC run your Show any faster ... you have to make your Show run slower

--------------------

... nobeefstu

in the original forum i believe it was Casey that pointed out the problems that would occur with nt 4

maybe if Casey,Igor or other old members can add to to the problem with NT systems

ken

--------------------

"share your knowledge, the wheel has already been invented"

ken

pbyk@sympatico.ca

Ken ...

I remember one discussion back then ... as I played part in it.

As recommended to me from a NT4 Sys Adm of a company I had business with :

All users of that OS must keep upto date on their service packs/releases. The problem was that when a user installed/changed new major software and hardware ... certain sys config/page files were not properly updating to those new changes/versions. So to properply update those changes ... the user "must re-apply" the service pack patch "everytime" after those installs. I believe service patch 6 finally resolved the issue.

--------------------

... nobeefstu

I believe that Win NT, SP 6, is essentially the same as Win 2000.

--------------------

Ciao, Al

Ottawa, Canada

www.alrobinson.com