WnSoft Forums

Digital Projector (1024 vs. HD 720p)

Spafford

Hello ...

My family and I are in the midst of making a fairly elaborate (and hopefully special) slide show for my mom's 70th birthday in November. We plan to use a Digital Projector to show it to her and the rest of the family (on Thanksgiving Day).

Question #1 ~ How dramatic will the difference in the viewing experience be if I use a HD Digital Projector {e.g. Optoma HD70 Projector} vs. a standard 1024 x 786 Projector. I have access to a 1024 Projector, but would have to purchase the HD Projector. I want this to be special for my mom, but am trying to weigh the value of purchasing a projector (vs. borrowing one ~ specifically a 1024 x 786).

Question #2 ~ If I use the HD Projector {720p}, what would be the optimum image size of my pictures?

Thank you for your insights/perspectives!

Kind regards,

Kelly ....

Hi, Kelly,

Welcome to the Forum!

The Optoma 70 is designed so that it will project the optimum image from a 16:9 high-definition source such as a dvd player or satellite TV receiver (i.e. 1280x720 pixels). Of course, it is an excellent projector for PTE shows from a pc (or laptop) as well. The Optoma 72 is a little more flexible in that it is also compatible with the more "standard" wide-screen 1280 x 768 (15:9) aspect ratio from a widescreen pc. On the Optoma 70, a 1280 x 768 pc image would be scaled down to something like 1200 x 720. So, if you are using the Optoma 70, with PTE images from a pc, the ideal image size, in order to realize the projector's maximum capability, would be around 1280 x 720, a little smaller than that with the Model 72. Or, if your images are "standard" pc size, then you would go for something around 1024x720 or 1000x720). The projector will just show them with dark spaces on each side.

As far as the 1024x768 projector is concerned, there are many different models (nothing is very "standard" in this technology), so it is hard to say whether your images would look better in the Optoma 70 than a high-end 1024x768 projector. The main difference would be the image size - 1024x768 is only 4:3 in aspect ratio - not wide-screen like the Optoma. The other main difference may be in contrast ratio - the new Optoma advertises an excellent contrast ratio (around 1:4000), whereas many of the commonly-used models used for commercial powerpoint presentations are much less (typically between 1:400 and 1:1000). So, the images would look much better with the Optoma than with one of these cheaper "standard" 4:3 projectors.

The other important consideration is "lumens" (or lamp intensity). Most of the home theatre projectors like the Optoma 70 are designed for home applications, and may not have sufficient power to satisfactorily fill a larger screen in an auditorium.

If you are thinking of buying a digital projector anyway, particularly for home use, or for presentations on modest-size screens in a smaller venue, then one of the Optoma's would be an excellent way to go. I can't believe how much the prices have dropped on these high-end projectors in the last couple of years. Best of luck on your mother's birthday - I am sure she will be very pleased, no matter what projector you end up using! :)

Here is an excellent source of reviews on various projectors:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_hd70.htm