WnSoft Forums

Best way of creating JPEGs

kgoreilly

Hi,

I'm currently creating jpegs from master files using Photoshop. I'm wondering what is the right way to go about this?

I've read that by creating them in 'save for web' the exif information is stripped from the file, giving a smaller size than if you simply 'save as' jpeg.

I've found that the exif information is stripped, but I get a larger file size this way. (I've only tried it at maximum quality)

I've also read here that jpeg quality 8 is probably good enough, but are there some 'tricks to the trade' for creating jpegs for PicturesToExe shows (especially from a Photoshop viewpoint)?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Kevin, I have made all my conversions to JPEG for PTE in photoshop, (after all other editing has been done), by resizing to 1024x768 and then saving as JPEG with a quality level of 8. This has provided a high level of quality and small files. If you have a large number of images to convert the batch process in photoshop can be very helpful for this.

Regarding the exif information this will be retained with the original image. It is good policy to always use a copy of your image for PTE for this and many other reasons.

Another option to resize multiple files in Photoshop is to use the Image Processor found under File/Scripts in Photoshop or Tools/Photoshop in Bridge. I like to use Bridge to select the images you want processed, set the size and quality in the Image Processor window along with an output location and color space. Then just click "go" and wait while the process does its magic and puts the resultant files into a JPG directory in your chosen output area. Good luck.

Kori,

Following up on the advice from John and Bruce here are 2 important things to remember:-

If you are re-sizing any Images make sure you are using a 'Lossless Conversion Program'

and do not include 'Exif Data' within the Images. (Not everyone is using Photoshop).

Exif Data causes ringing and smear in the Red Colour spectrum and fringing in Blue Colours

particularily so if you have to do:- 2 or 3 passes of "Save-As" when you are Editing.

If your Camera allows, turn-off 'Exif Data'.

If you want to retain Exif Data its better to make a 'Thumbnail-Library' of the origional

Photos and then use an Exif-Editor to remove this data from the origional Photos (see below).

The more you edit an Image and "Save-As" the more the compression you are applying to

the Image and ultimately it will start to come apart. With Image Exif Data switched-on this

effect is accellerated because the Exif Data can't be compressed and tends to 'erupt' within

parts of the Image (dark-smears) and 'bleeds-out' to the edges of bold parts of the Image

this is called 'fringing'. It would happen anyway with too many "SaveAs" but with Exif turned

on it happens after the first "SaveAs".

Its just 2 more of those things you have to watch out for.

Link to a good Compression Manager (Shareware):-

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/BetterJPEG/betterjpeg.html

Link to a good Exif Editor (Freeware):-

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Exifer/Exifer.html

Have fun with PTE....

Brian.Conflow.