WnSoft Forums

PROGRAM DUMPED

fitzner3

:unsure: I JUST DUMPED MY XAT.COM VIDEO CD PROGRAM DELETED IT FOR GOOD. TO MANY PROBLEM WITH THEM AND THEIR BETA VERSIONS. THEY HAVE BEEN BETA TESTING FOR MONTHS AND STILL CANNOT GET RID OF THE MANY ERRORS.

I WOULD RATHER WAIT FOR IGOR TO PRODUCE HIS PROGRAM AND WOULD GLADLY PAY FOR IT.

I FEEL BETTER ALREADY!!

HARRY

Harry, Sam --- Ulead's PS2, Photodex's PSG and Wnsoft's PTE are all in some ways niche solutions. PTE is artistically and technically superior to all for show design features, and is lacking in only the native SVCD/VCD/DVD authoring feature. I can understand your enthusiasm Sam, since PS2 can make video discs and this is clearly a need in the slideshow marketplace. But then I can also understand Harry's anxiousness for PTE to support SVCD/VCD/DVD. For the benefit of everyone looking to choose what best suits their needs, I offer a product feature analysis and comparison.

PS2 offers VCD and DVD playback without universal computer playback. Some of the drawbacks to PS2 are:

• PS2 makes shows for VCD/DVD playback only, on either PC or separate player, but not both - see note (*)
  • PS2 does not make .EXE based universal computer shows
  • PS2 show files are large and are not emailable - best distributed on VCD or DVD discs
  • VCD or DVD playback software and DVD drive are required for computer playback (limiting to many)
  • Show design features are very limited - a small subset of those in PTE
  • Navigation is through a player's remote control, and is somewhat limited and cumbersome

* Why not best quality on both computer and external disc player? Ulead's answer:

"Q: Why do my photos look blurry when I view slideshows on a computer monitor?

A: The anti-flickering filter, while improving picture quality for TV slideshows, will cause photos to look blurry on a computer monitor. The anti-flickering filter is the default setting for DVD PictureShow. Should you wish to make a slideshow that will primarily be viewed on a PC screen, disable the anti-flickering filter by going to Menu>Preferences (or pressing F6). "

Photodex's PSG is better than Ulead's PS2 in that it can make .EXE file shows in addition to VCD/DVD shows. Like PS2, PSG is quite inferior to PTE in show design features. PTE has a world of difference in support for creativity and utility when compared to the competition. Yet for just showing the pictures with fancy fades, the competitive products certainly do have a place in the market.

Recently I posted an answer to the "Why PTE?" topic (Click here to view that topic reply if you wish). With my apologies to those who have weak color vision, here is an update with comparison to PS2 and PSG:

GREEN = Exists, Well done, etc.

BLUE = Exists, but has some issues or is inferior

RED = Does not exist or is poor

GRAY = Not applicable

• PTE PS2 PSG Universal .EXE shows for computers
  • PTE PS2 PSG Quality of image display (PC vs. TV issue exists in PS2; unknown PSG status)
  • PTE PS2 PSG Ease of use overall
  • PTE PS2 PSG Ease of use for templated show classes
  • PTE PS2 PSG Show artistic design features in addition to fancy fades
  • PTE PS2 PSG Show technical design features, especially the object editor for slide customization
  • PTE PS2 PSG Image to music synchronization features (PSG has real-time slide timing feature)
  • PTE PS2 PSG Design programmability features for viewing and navigation control during show
  • PTE PS2 PSG Monitor display options including full screen and fixed size display
  • PTE PS2 PSG Per-slide titling flexibility and support
  • PTE PS2 PSG Transparent graphics support
  • PTE PS2 PSG Mouse cursor display control options
  • PTE PS2 PSG Show startup screen feature
  • PTE PS2 PSG Customizable "Help" screen available during show
  • PTE PS2 PSG Compatibility: From new to old computers and any Win O/S software
  • PTE PS2 PSG Can create SVCD/VCD/DVD shows directly from show software
  • PTE PS2 PSG Text based show production file format that facilitates script or spreadsheet processing
  • PTE PS2 PSG The PTE Forum and its members' expertise, experience and kindness
  • PTE PS2 PSG Wnsoft's great customer service response
  • PTE PS2 PSG Wnsoft's ongoing PTE feature development, especially in response to forum members' input

PTE is the winner overall, lacking only native VCD/DVD support. Hats off to Igor Kokarev and the Wnsoft team! :)

:) Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!