WnSoft Forums

Some AVI files not displaying on Menu screen

ADB

I have been trying to create a DVD consisting of 11 separate AVI files all rendered from the same video editing package within minutes of each other. All AVI files play fine on anything I can find to play them in however when I load them up into Video Builder just two of the AVI's don't display. On the Menu Building page (see attached) or on any other Video Builder Screen

cap.jpg

It seems like this is a bug. When I try to select a frame to show on the thumbnail of the two affected files I get nothing but the blank grey image you can see in the attached image.

It just seems weird that it happens on only two of the AVI's yet these AVI's play fine on anything other than Video Builder?

Anybody experienced this?

Hi Ken

Yes I can drag all 11 to the bottom.

Using the same AVI files I have successfully burnt a DVD using ULEAD DVD MOVIEFACTORY.

One thing I have noticed is that these are the two biggest AVI files out of the 11 with both of them being over 4 GB in AVI format.

Perhaps there is a bug in Video Builder with the loading of AVI files greater than 4 GB in size?

Hi Andrew

I cannot answer your question as to why this happens although I have a couple of .Avi’s that give me problems. ( which at some time or another may have been converted from some other format )

I do not think it is a “Bug” with Video Builder as Igor’s remark states.

Support of all kinds of AVI files imported to a project (including AVS video file script).

So I take this as NOT ALL avi’s, as you are aware there are many different types of AVI’s.

A possible work around that I did was to convert the problem .AVI to DVD / NTSC using TEMPEnc results in a MPEG file.

Then dragged into VideoBuilder along with a few none problem AVI’s, created DVD folder files that played OK.

I might mention also converting the file to DivX then re-naming with an .AVI extension that Video Builder accepted also.

With my problem AVI which was displayed with a red (X) I also could not select a frame in the thumbnail. When I did proceed to create the DVD folder files / MPEG2 with just this problem file, Video Builder showed a message “ Cannot extract frames “

So I am not sure if the framerate in some AVI’s is the problem area. You can right click on the none working AVI and choose “Properties” in my case it showed as 25 frames / second, the workable ones showed 30 Frames / second.

* Video Builder ver 5.1 NewDVD 1

Tom & Hawk (Ralph) thanks for your posts the following will provide some more information about my setup:

*I'm shooting Mini-DV tape on a Panasonic Video Camera

*I'm capturing this video into Sony Vegas

*I'm then rendering out sequences using the Sony DV-AVI Codec

WINDOWS FOR VIDEO (AVI) - PAL DV-WIDESCREEN TEMPLATE

Audio: 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM Uncompressed.

Video: 25 fps, 720x576, Lower field first.

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.457. OpenDML compatible.

Widescreen PAL DV video files compatible with Sony Video Capture.

I imagine this a fairly mainstream codec.

I have ran a few tests now and I can confirm the following:-

* Using the above work stream any AVI file I produce which is less than around 4 Gigs in size will load into Video Builder Fine

* Using the above work stream any AVI file I produce which is more than around 4 Gigs in size will not load into Video Builder but instead will only show a grey box.

I completely took the original video out of the equation and ran a test with a single jpeg image. I imported the image into Sony Vegas and rendered it into a static video clip (using the above codec) of the following durations:- 15sec, 15min, 22min

The sizes of the clips were 58megs, 3.4Gigs and 4.8Gigs respectively

I replicated the same results as with the original video footage, the 58meg and 3.4Gig AVI files imported perfectly but the 4.8Gig file only showed the grey box.

From these tests I can safely say Videobuilder happily recognizes the Video Format but struggles with AVI video size larger than 4 Gigs Approx from this particular codec.