WnSoft Forums

Copyright issues abroad

Maureen

Hi

I've been contacted by someone who wishes to show some digital AV sequences in the States. I'm happy to send work on CDs but I'm not clear how our British IAC licences cover the copyright issues in other countries, particularly the USA. :blink:

Does anyone have any knowledge of this copyright issue.

I know I will be able to send sequences using copyright free music.

Many Thanks for all the help. :rolleyes:

Best wishes

Maureen

The use of copyrighted music is a bit of a grey area. Traditionally, AV makers in the UK have purchased a licence from the IAC (actually an MCPS licence) that allows the use of recorded music in a public show so long as no money is made.

The terms of the licence really related to "shows" given to the public, and were written well before the days of digital sequences and CD Roms.

At the moment we are still relying on the cover given by the MCPS licence, but once the sequence is burned to a CD Rom its debatable as to whether its covered or not.

If anyone has done any research and could shed some light it would be appreciated!

Ian Bateman

Has "Beechbrook" any views on this?

Ron [uK]

Latest news from IAC is that the British licence is a legal document and covered worldwide. However the person abroad receiving our CD containing the digital AV, is not allowed to copy the CD, and it should be returned after the "show". ;)

Obviously where the author has put a time lock on the PTE sequences this will negate the need to return the CD I assume.

Unfortunately the IAC licence does not cover sequences on a web site, so sadly I won't be able to upload my sequences to my web site, :D unless I produce something with copyright free music. I should (if I ever get Broadband) be able to e-mail a sequence (I think?) or certainly send a CD by "snail mail".

Keeps my husband in work!

Does anyone abroad have any advice?

Best wishes

Maureen

Just record and play the A/V backwards. B)