WnSoft Forums

ICON PROBLEM

Raydene

Sorry,

I have read in search etc. about Icons and been remaking and making them all day with different

icon programs and even downloaded another and tried it, but when trying to get one to be there when I make

this slide I finished - NO ICON, but the programs icon.

I am using 5.0 and haven't had a problem getting one on the exe file before.

This slide is 644.5 MB big and has 186 photos and it makes the slide fine but won't put any

of the icons I have tried into it. I have been making them 32x32 like I always do.

I've been at this for over 4 hrs and give up!

Anyone have any ideas whats wrong-besides me? :unsure:

Thanks,

Raydene

Raydene,

Since you have made them before and they worked ... Im sure you know they need to be 256 color format.

Why dont you upload it as a attachment to your post and I will check it out. Put the icon file in a zip might be a better idea.

Thank You,

k.zip

I have never uploaded here and hope I got it up here.

Raydene

Raydene,

I was replying to another query when I saw your Post ~

Question: Are you trying to change the PTE.Exe Slideshow Icon ?

I found that was impossible to do unless I was making a CD-Disc of

the Slide-Show and where I was using a 'CD-Autorun Utility' and I

could use my own Icon to represent the new CD-Slideshow Disc.

But when I opened the CD-Disc the Pte Icon was still there on the Disc.

Brian.Conflow.

Raydene,

I have checked out your K icon file ... and all appears to be correct. I loaded your icon into a project of mine and all worked as expected.

Are you sure you loaded your icon file properly within Project Options|Main tab ... and also enabled checkbox - Use Your Own Icon for Slideshow or Screensaver File ?

Raydene,

I have checked out your K icon file ... and all appears to be correct. I loaded your icon into a project of mine and all worked as expected.

Are you sure you loaded your icon file properly within Project Options|Main tab ... and also enabled checkbox - Use Your Own Icon for Slideshow or Screensaver File ?

Yes, I'm sure I followed the directions correctly and checked the "use your own icon box" and also loaded and reloaded it and re- made the icons over and over again,

not really caring what it looked like just trying to get one on the exe. file after it was created.

Now that you have tried it, and it worked for you? I'm thinking now maybe there is something wrong with my PTE program?

Thanks for your help at least I now know it's not me.

Raydene

Raydene,

I was replying to another query when I saw your Post ~

Question: Are you trying to change the PTE.Exe Slideshow Icon ?

I found that was impossible to do unless I was making a CD-Disc of

the Slide-Show and where I was using a 'CD-Autorun Utility' and I

could use my own Icon to represent the new CD-Slideshow Disc.

But when I opened the CD-Disc the Pte Icon was still there on the Disc.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

I always put a different Icon on any PTE.exe show I create in my PC. I have never had the problem you discribed above. Actually, NO problems

adding a different Icon to any .exe shows I've made using the Icon option in the program, until now. They are usually inside my PC with the Icon I added - already

on it after I creat it and before I load into a CD-Disc and the created Icon goes with it. My question now is "Are others having a problem like you also or am I not

understanding what you said above?

Raydene

Raydene,

Now that you have tried it, and it worked for you?

Yes, your icon worked perfectly. I actually used v 5.11 of Pte to test your icon file. I no longer use or have v5.0 (July 17, 2007) installed to qualify a possible bug in that version.

If you re-install Pte ... why not install a more current version like 5.11 (February, 2008) or v 5.52 (July 11, 2008).

Raydene,

Yes, your icon worked perfectly. I actually used v 5.11 of Pte to test your icon file. I no longer use or have v5.0 (July 17, 2007) installed to qualify a possible bug in that version.

If you re-install Pte ... why not install a more current version like 5.11 (February, 2008) or v 5.52 (July 11, 2008).

nobeefstu,

I haven't been keeping up with the ugrades, just using 5.0. If I did do an upgrade as your suggestion, will my slide project open and work like I now have it or would I have to redo it?

I also haven't downloaded anything higher than my last which was 5.10 and never even installed that one. Where would I go?? to get the one that will be less work at this point for this

project I now have finished and can't get my icon on?

I also am attaching a copy of the Icon that has kept showing up on the created exe file project when I click on create the exe slide show. "Weird" and not like any I have seen before

when I have made an exe without an icon and just let the program do it. The one I always before got as the icon is on the left, the one I've been getting now on the right.

post-146-1227158596_thumb.jpg

I appreciate all your helpful imput - Thanks :rolleyes:

Raydene

Raydene,

In reply to your Post #7 above ~ I had followed the instructions as described elsewhere above ~ the New Icon worked

sometimes but it permanently changed the (standard) CD-Icon which is always parked on my Desktop for easy access

to that particular CD-Drive. To get rid of it I have to delete the New-Icon and open 'My Computer' and make a short-cut

back to the (standard) CD-Icon shown in My Computer now restored to the Desktop.

It is quite possible that this 'problem' has something to do with the way we at Conflow Services have set-up our Laptop's

and the Desktop PCs in our Workshops. Personally I don't like (dead) Icons left on our Monitors as they usually 'hang-up'

our PC's particularily when the active CD-Program or Exe is no longer running on that particular PC.

Now we use the standard PTE.Icon but that stays on the Monitor even when the CD-Pte.Exe is long gone from that PC.

It doesn't happen with other CD-Run Exe's ~ they exit cleanly and don't leave remnant Icons ~ No left over Icons.

Its really an 'inconvenience' more that anything else ~ and I'm not worried about it ~ I was just reporting my experiences

with PTE Icons and Bespoke Icons used to herald the Pte.Slideshows.

Brian.Conflow.

Raydene,

I haven't been keeping up with the ugrades, just using 5.0. If I did do an upgrade as your suggestion, will my slide project open and work like I now have it or would I have to redo it?

If the pte file is a v5.0 file ... it should work the same. Its when you open a older v4 pte file into a v5 pte program some changes may be required.

I also haven't downloaded anything higher than my last which was 5.10 and never even installed that one. Where would I go?? to get the one that will be less work at this point for this

project I now have finished and can't get my icon on?

You can try your last v5.10 installer or download lastest final build v5.52 from Pte site.

WnSoft - Pte Site - http://www.wnsoft.com/download.htm

--------------

However, I would not install any new pte versions yet. Your attached jpg file concerns me ... the right side image is a windows default icon for executables with no icon information. Windows resorts to that default icon when it can not find any icon data in a 32 bit executable file.

Do your icon tools allow you to extract or see icon files within your executable file ?

If yes ... look wihin the executable to see if the K icon file info actually exists in the pte exe file.

If no ... please make a new executable of just a single slide without music of a pte file with your selected K icon. Zip both the .pte file and exe file ... upload as attachment to your post and I will check it out.

Better to check out first ... then later proceed to reinstall or new install versions.

Raydene,

If the pte file is a v5.0 file ... it should work the same. Its when you open a older v4 pte file into a v5 pte program some changes may be required.

You can try your last v5.10 installer or download lastest final build v5.52 from Pte site.

WnSoft - Pte Site - http://www.wnsoft.com/download.htm

--------------

However, I would not install any new pte versions yet. Your attached jpg file concerns me ... the right side image is a windows default icon for executables with no icon information. Windows resorts to that default icon when it can not find any icon data in a 32 bit executable file.

Do your icon tools allow you to extract or see icon files within your executable file ?

If yes ... look wihin the executable to see if the K icon file info actually exists in the pte exe file.

If no ... please make a new executable of just a single slide without music of a pte file with your selected K icon. Zip both the .pte file and exe file ... upload as attachment to your post and I will check it out.

Better to check out first ... then later proceed to reinstall or new install versions.

Before you check the downloaded .pte file and exe file you requested -

I was checking things and this is what I find maybe causing the problem?

I made a short slide without music as you requested in 5.0. Saving the project as a pte file first, then closing 5.0 and then re-opening

5.0 and running it again and checking my settings before I made the exe of it. The exe did have my icon this time ? where I had saved

it on my PC and played. I then went to the pte file where it was saved inside the pc and clicked on it not using 5.0 to do so - just clicking on

the pte file stored inside my PC. When it opened the pte file inside the PC - the project box was empty of any photos and the project name says

"PicturesToEXE v4.48 - Project1". I then opened the 5.0 program again then opened that same project from inside the program and it then

opened showing the photos of the slide I had made correctly BUT only when opening the saved pte file inside the 5.0 program itself, but not

when just clicking on ithe saved pte file inside the pc?

So I'm thinking it may do the same for you. But here they are:Test.zip

I have all the programs I have downloaded over the years inside the same file, but each version has it's own seperate file.

The only difference in this short slide attached and the Ike slide (644 mb) is the size of the slide and the music (I kept the slide time

and transistions the same, but not the sizes of the photos because they are of Hurricane Ike in the one that I'm trying to get

the icon in) and the Ike slide photos are personal photos of friend of mine who lives in Galveston.

I have used the same music before in slides with no problems and did work even with no icon.

Isn't the project file suppose to change to the file version that creates it? I do still have the 5.0 install exe, if you think deleting the one I'm now using

and re-installing may help my problem as a quick fix, until I get more time to play with a newer version after Thansgiving................I'm expecting

lots of family who I'm not done getting ready for yet........so not much time for me to play like I'd LOVE to.

Thank You for all and any help - You've been great! :)

Raydene

Raydene,

In reply to your Post #7 above ~ I had followed the instructions as described elsewhere above ~ the New Icon worked

sometimes but it permanently changed the (standard) CD-Icon which is always parked on my Desktop for easy access

to that particular CD-Drive. To get rid of it I have to delete the New-Icon and open 'My Computer' and make a short-cut

back to the (standard) CD-Icon shown in My Computer now restored to the Desktop.

It is quite possible that this 'problem' has something to do with the way we at Conflow Services have set-up our Laptop's

and the Desktop PCs in our Workshops. Personally I don't like (dead) Icons left on our Monitors as they usually 'hang-up'

our PC's particularily when the active CD-Program or Exe is no longer running on that particular PC.

Now we use the standard PTE.Icon but that stays on the Monitor even when the CD-Pte.Exe is long gone from that PC.

It doesn't happen with other CD-Run Exe's ~ they exit cleanly and don't leave remnant Icons ~ No left over Icons.

Its really an 'inconvenience' more that anything else ~ and I'm not worried about it ~ I was just reporting my experiences

with PTE Icons and Bespoke Icons used to herald the Pte.Slideshows.

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Thank You for explaining this to me with your reply . :) Your right! I think alot of what happens are how WE set things up.

I'm still not sure what I may have set up wrong that is causing mine yet!

Raydene

Raydene,

I then went to the pte file where it was saved inside the pc and clicked on it not using 5.0 to do so - just clicking on

the pte file stored inside my PC. When it opened the pte file inside the PC - the project box was empty of any photos and the project name says

"PicturesToEXE v4.48 - Project1".

Ok. We now know you use multiple Pte versions installed on your pc. Using multiple versions of Pte on the same pc can get confusing at times and requires some user disipline. It appears your default Pte program for opening .pte files is PicturesToEXE v4.48. Any .pte file you have on your pc will double-click open into PicturesToEXE v4.48. Pte does not identify file version to open with its corresponding program version.

I then opened the 5.0 program again then opened that same project from inside the program and it then

opened showing the photos of the slide I had made correctly BUT only when opening the saved pte file inside the 5.0 program itself, but not

when just clicking on ithe saved pte file inside the pc?

You did correct. The only way is to use File|Open when requiring a particular version Pte other than PicturesToEXE v4.48.

So I'm thinking it may do the same for you.

File opened by double-click in v5.52 ... cause its my default. I also use multiple versions Pte.

Notes on Test.zip

Your High Red pte file is a v5.0 file. The Use Own Icon checbox is enabled. The icon file used is C:\Pics 2 Exe\5.0 FINAL FINISHED\5.0-PROJECTS\High_Red_Photos\3-k.ico.

Your icon is embedded into the High_Red_Test.exe and the K icon appears normal as expected on my desktop. So in conclusion your Pte v5.0 program is working correctly.

Conclusion

Isn't the project file suppose to change to the file version that creates it? I do still have the 5.0 install exe, if you think deleting the one I'm now using

and re-installing may help my problem as a quick fix

The .pte file will not change to the file version that creates the exe ... you must Save As to create a new .pte file (also use a new filename as not to overwrite your original file.) However, the exe created will be of the version Pte program you have open to make it.

Yes ... reinstall v5.0. Normal install will make all your .pte files open with double-click as default with v5.0 and no longer with v4.48 ... which may be contributing to your what version your actually opening and using issue. User disipline File|Open will be required when wanting to open a .pte file with a different version Pte.

Raydene,

Ok. We now know you use multiple Pte versions installed on your pc. Using multiple versions of Pte on the same pc can get confusing at times and requires some user disipline. It appears your default Pte program for opening .pte files is PicturesToEXE v4.48. Any .pte file you have on your pc will double-click open into PicturesToEXE v4.48. Pte does not identify file version to open with its corresponding program version.

You did correct. The only way is to use File|Open when requiring a particular version Pte other than PicturesToEXE v4.48.

File opened by double-click in v5.52 ... cause its my default. I also use multiple versions Pte.

Notes on Test.zip

Your High Red pte file is a v5.0 file. The Use Own Icon checbox is enabled. The icon file used is C:\Pics 2 Exe\5.0 FINAL FINISHED\5.0-PROJECTS\High_Red_Photos\3-k.ico.

Your icon is embedded into the High_Red_Test.exe and the K icon appears normal as expected on my desktop. So in conclusion your Pte v5.0 program is working correctly.

Conclusion

The .pte file will not change to the file version that creates the exe ... you must Save As to create a new .pte file (also use a new filename as not to overwrite your original file.) However, the exe created will be of the version Pte program you have open to make it.

Yes ... reinstall v5.0. Normal install will make all your .pte files open with double-click as default with v5.0 and no longer with v4.48 ... which may be contributing to your what version your actually opening and using issue. User disipline File|Open will be required when wanting to open a .pte file with a different version Pte.

nobeefstu,

Again, I thank you for your time and knowledge.

After my last post, I deleted all - cleaned and defraged everything (I have 2 hard drives) restarted and tried to get the icon in the IKE.exe again after starting over. This time I got a notice while creating the exe file just after it showed 100% finished saying " Out of Memory" (was using C drive when I got this message) and had to ctrl-delete to get out of the Pic2exe program. Then Checking where I saved the exe file-it did make it but no icon again-except that weird one.

I then repeated the cleaning etc. again and this time did a batch resize + sharp of all the photos that will go into IKE, decreasing each photo 25%. Finally all worked and looks great like always!

Question: The original photos inside IKE came up to 664 mb and I have dual processors with a gig of ram is that not enough to make a slide that size in mb's? My C drive has only 1 gig, but is 63% free

and my D drive has 300 gig and 200 free. I tried making the IKE using the D drive 1st then went to C this time, with same results (no icon) until I decreased the photo sizes. I try to keep the C drive for operating

use only and the D for all my work and haven't ever had any problems doing things this way until now. Do I just need more RAM again? I don't usually make my slides with that much mbs in a photo, but these

aren't MY photo's and I was requested to leave them the original size. Didn't work though, but maybe a lesson of needing more ram just incase? :unsure:

Thank You again !!

Raydene

Ray,

I just read your last Post, you wrote:-

"...Question: The original photos inside IKE came up to 664 mb and I have dual processors

with a gig of ram is that not enough to make a slide that size in mb's?"....

My C drive has only 1 gig, but is 63% free....Ray are you sure about that 1 gig?

Is that the size of the C:Drive or the volume of Programs on it? something wrong here!!

Normally it's nothing to do with your C:Drive ~ Just simply 1.Gb of RAM is not enough to 'process'

that size of Slideshow because it leaves virtually nothing left for the Dual-Processors to work with.

They require +300.Mb for XP to run properly and in Vista its nearly 600.Mb.

The machine is probably trying to create more 'Virtual-Memory' for you but it can't create the

necessary File-Pages to generate that 'Virtual-Memory' ~ it's doing other invisible things.

I bet you have an awful lot of 'Programs' in your Start Menu and there is probably an awful lot

of stuff running in the background ~ this clogs up Ram Memory and gives the machine a severe

dose of con**ip**ion.

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

Ray,

I just read your last Post, you wrote:-

"...Question: The original photos inside IKE came up to 664 mb and I have dual processors

with a gig of ram is that not enough to make a slide that size in mb's?"....

My C drive has only 1 gig, but is 63% free....Ray are you sure about that 1 gig?

Is that the size of the C:Drive or the volume of Programs on it? something wrong here!!

Normally it's nothing to do with your C:Drive ~ Just simply 1.Gb of RAM is not enough to 'process'

that size of Slideshow because it leaves virtually nothing left for the Dual-Processors to work with.

They require +300.Mb for XP to run properly and in Vista its nearly 600.Mb.

The machine is probably trying to create more 'Virtual-Memory' for you but it can't create the

necessary File-Pages to generate that 'Virtual-Memory' ~ it's doing other invisible things.

I bet you have an awful lot of 'Programs' in your Start Menu and there is probably an awful lot

of stuff running in the background ~ this clogs up Ram Memory and gives the machine a severe

dose of con**ip**ion.

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Thanks for the info. So your telling me that I need more Ram because 1 gig isn't enough to make a slide that large.

As for my start up, NO I don't have alot of programs starting up, I use msconfig often to make sure I don't.

Raydene

Ray,

My apology for delay in replying to yours ~ yes your statement is correct.

Your Show of 645.Mb would just about fill a CD-Disc of 700.Mb (writeable size).

The XP-Operating System is approx 330.Mb in size and your Show is nearly 'double' that size.

Now for some statistics: Show-Size:- 645.Mb spread across 186 Images = 3.46 Mb. per Image.

Anyone on the forum will tell you that those Images are 10~20x Larger than normal for a Slideshow.

That Slideshow should be somewhere about 65.Mb in size, thats about 345.Kb/Image which is way more

than enough for larger Screen-Format such as 1280x800 and 1400x875 (Wide-Screen 16:10 Formats)

To do that you would need to re-size your Images to something more managable such as 1024x768 pixels

(the standard) or perhaps a little larger to suit your PC-Monitors' Resolution.

Now that you have made the Show ~and if you don't want to 're-do' it, I'm afraid you would need more

Ram-Memory to execute that Slideshow whilst maintaining the integrity of the XP-Computer.

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

• 3 weeks later...
Ray,

My apology for delay in replying to yours ~ yes your statement is correct.

Your Show of 645.Mb would just about fill a CD-Disc of 700.Mb (writeable size).

The XP-Operating System is approx 330.Mb in size and your Show is nearly 'double' that size.

Now for some statistics: Show-Size:- 645.Mb spread across 186 Images = 3.46 Mb. per Image.

Anyone on the forum will tell you that those Images are 10~20x Larger than normal for a Slideshow.

That Slideshow should be somewhere about 65.Mb in size, thats about 345.Kb/Image which is way more

than enough for larger Screen-Format such as 1280x800 and 1400x875 (Wide-Screen 16:10 Formats)

To do that you would need to re-size your Images to something more managable such as 1024x768 pixels

(the standard) or perhaps a little larger to suit your PC-Monitors' Resolution.

Now that you have made the Show ~and if you don't want to 're-do' it, I'm afraid you would need more

Ram-Memory to execute that Slideshow whilst maintaining the integrity of the XP-Computer.

Regards,

Brian.Conflow.

Brian,

Sorry I took so long to get this back after your reply also.

Your suggestion to resize the photo's I had already done (before I seen your reply) and it worked great as usual.

I usually do resize, but the person I was making this slide for asked me not to. I think your statement

"Your Show of 645.Mb would just about fill a CD-Disc of 700.Mb (writeable size)" is why - a full disk.

I had never tried to make a slide with photos in original size off camera so I have never had the problem as I had with these before.

I also thought that when I had my PC upgraded last year (instead of going Vista) that the company doing my work

understood that I needed lots of ram for what I like to do, but I now know he didn't quite get what I was telling him

and I just don't have enough ram.

So for now, I'll just muddle along until the new, after Vista gets here.

Thank You All for your help. :)

Raydene