WnSoft Forums

synchronized shows

lenny

Hi everyone, I'm knew to p2e so please excuse me if I ask stupid questions or state things that are impossible.

I believe I read in the documentation that nav bars cannot be used with music synched automatically by p2e for the slides. Since this was something I was looking for in slide show software I was disappointed. I assembled a show with nav bars but no music, leave last slide up at end, saved it, then created it, burned it to CD and it ran perfectly. After I called up the same show I went in and added an MP3 file, I was surprised that the nav bar was still there and it worked. If I used the nav bar during the show it threw off the timing, but if I let the show run, the synch worked fine and I could use the nav bar to go to previous slides. Did I discover something that shouldn't be possible or did I misunderstand the help files.

Hi, Lenny,

Welcome to the Forum!

I wish you had found a way to control synchronized slide shows. But, unfortunately, when you choose "Synchronize slide show to music duration" in "Project Options", the navigation bar disappears.

You can add music, however, and play it, and as long as you don't touch anything, it will play and slides will slide, and if you have chosen music to last the duration of the show, everything will seem like it is in sync.

However, this is not what we mean by "synchronized". You have to click on "Customize Synchronization" and either choose "Automatic" or "Customize" on the timeline in order to have a show that is really "in-synch" with the music. This lets one time the transitions to occur with the beats of the music, if one wishes, without specifically fiddling with the timing of the show to try to make them occur where wanted. The latter method is not accurate enough for most synchronization requirements.

Igor has promised more control over a compiled show, so do not despair - we will have that capability soon. :)

Al thank you for responding to my post so quickly, sorry I didn't respond sooner, I had trouble getting to the WnSoft Forums page this morning.

I understand what you are saying about "true" sychronization, perhaps I didn't do a very good job of explaining what I wanted and what I ended up with. I wanted to assemble a show of slides of my house with nav bars so friends could go back to previous slides. As you say the nav bar disappeared from my show when I went into project options, main screen and checked "synchronize slideshow to music duration and clicked automatic synchronization(all slides display for an equal amount of time-calculated by PTE), on music screen I checked play background music and added an MP3 audio file. So I assembled a show with the same slides with nav bar but no music, I saved it , then created the show and burned it to a CD. I opened this show again from the HD and turned on the same music options as above, I saved it as something different, created it, and burned it to a CD, when I ran the show from the CD it played the music and had nav bars and they worked, is this normal.

Thanks Lenny

AL,

I wish you had found a way to control synchronized slide shows

Never use synchronized and know little about it, but I'm thinking, if starting and ending point of each slide have their corresponding point in the sound file, why can't we use the Nav Bar for example, to go to previous slide, and when we go again to next slide, points will meet again ? ;)

It seems logic but I have a feeling it's hard to do. :(

Am I completely wrong ? :unsure:

Granot

Lenny,

Yes, it is quite possible and normal to create a show which runs with music, changes slides regularly, and also has a navigation bar. When you reload a show as you described, the synchronization function will be disabled unless you re-activate it. Therefore, the navigation bar will work properly.

However, I think if you time the slide transitions you will find that the intervals are not the same as for the synchronized show, but will be governed by the default (or customized) time intervals.

This is no different than creating a show, setting the default and/or customized display times so the show runs through along with the music, and turning on the navigation bar, without touching the "synch" settings.

I'm thinking, if starting and ending point of each slide have their corresponding point in the sound file, why can't we use the Nav Bar for example, to go to previous slide, and when we go again to next slide, points will meet again ?

Granot,

I think that with the new sound player, Igor should now be able to program in the capability to rewind a show and have it restart at the proper place in the music, just like he does in the timeline preview.

I think this should have a high priority in the next version.

Hi Al

Thanks for the input, I see what you're saying, set the music to play for duration of slideshow then save, create and then go back and add nav bar. I'll try this and let you know what happens. Thanks to everyone that has responded to my questions. I hope I haven't created new programming problems for Igor by posing this question. It sounds like everyone is beginning to think about what is possible.

Good night to all, it's 10:30 pm in Denver, Colorado, it"ll take me some time to realize what time it is where you are.,

Lenny

Lenny,

I must not have made myself clear. I am saying that you have to set the "slide duration on-screen" in either the Project Menu or Customizing menu for individual slides to values which "sync" your show to the music in order to use the nav bar successfully - otherwise, whenever you activate true "synchronization" to music, the nav bar will not function. And, you don't have to save the show before adding the nav bar. It should make no difference.

Do a little test. Make a little show with the default slide duration left at 4 sec. Add a short music selection, so that when you select "synch to music duration", (you don't need to touch the timeline menu), the slides change every 2 or 3 seconds.

Now, go through the process of saving and creating, and then open the show, de-select "sync to music ..." and add the nav bar. The transition timing will go back to the default of 4 seconds. But the music will still play. At least that's the way it works for me.

In other words, in PTE, it is not possible to sync and drive at the same time! B)