WnSoft Forums

Email (or related) issues ??

spd7

I'm a new PTE user and am having problems sending "PTE.EXE" emails to certain addresses. Shortly after hitting the "send" button, I get a message stating that the email has been aborted. There are some email addresses that have received without problems. Also, my Internet supplier has recently changed to "Norton" security software to screen for viruses (and other problems). Norton has "removed" and "quarantined" these "PTE.EXE" files. (Two calls to Comcast and three to Norton have resolved this issue, but, with a "band-aid".) Could these two issues be related ? Along with PTE, I use "Audacity" for music help and "MultiResize" for resizing. Can anyone help me resolve these email issues ? TIA

Hi,

Many email hosts will automatically reject a file with the .exe extension. My suggestion would be to use your favorite "zip" utility to zip the PTE executable slideshow so that automated rejection software will not affect your emails. The recipient would then simply "unzip" the attachment and everything would then be normal.

Certain anti-virus/anti-threat software has problems with executable code of various types. Unfortunately Norton has been one of those which consistently and in a reoccurring manner find false positives when looking at perfectly sound and virus free PTE executable code. Specific is the Norton 2010 SONAR module which has been very obnoxious in this respect. Symantec Corporation has been notified on numerous occasions and they simply will not "fix" their defective product. I personally have left telephone messages for Symantec's Chief Technology Officer, Mark Bregman and he has has subordinates call me back. This issue has been carefully explained and for a brief time the software ignored PTE executables, then the problems began all over. Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone using this product because of the myriad false positives associated with the 2010 SONAR module. They have "work-around's" which involve providing a specific file name or folder to be "excluded" from testing, but this is really only a "solution" for application code and not a solution for products which "create" executable output. In their zeal to protect the user from virus and trojan threats, they have improperly identified thousands of perfectly good executable files as "threats" and have even caused members of this forum to loose data. BAD SYMANTEC!! very BAD.

Other anti-virus companies such as Kapersky, AVG, etc., have been very cooperative and have "corrected" their software but Symantec apparently is just too big and too important to worry about what they are doing to thousands of photographers and AV people around the world. Personally, I'm very "unimpressed" with their corporate policy on this.

Best regards,

Lin

I'm a new PTE user and am having problems sending "PTE.EXE" emails to certain addresses. Shortly after hitting the "send" button, I get a message stating that the email has been aborted. There are some email addresses that have received without problems. Also, my Internet supplier has recently changed to "Norton" security software to screen for viruses (and other problems). Norton has "removed" and "quarantined" these "PTE.EXE" files. (Two calls to Comcast and three to Norton have resolved this issue, but, with a "band-aid".) Could these two issues be related ? Along with PTE, I use "Audacity" for music help and "MultiResize" for resizing. Can anyone help me resolve these email issues ? TIA

hi

in the early days of pte we were all trying to send our exe's to our friends -- some went thru others did not because of isp limitations re email size

I posted the following answer that my friend got back from her ISP

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 2:57 AM

Subject: email encryption

am sending one of the better descriptions that was fwd'd to me by me

friend while we were sorting out the problem. this what she got from the 3rd

largest ISP/cable supplier in Canada. BTW the owner Jim Shaw went to school

when i did -- was behind me in high school, but happened to do not bad in

life as he is the 39th richest man in Canada. his elder brother just missed

the top 50 list. not bad for a pair of farm boys. he runs ShawCor

Jim Shaw's son JR Jr., runs the cable business out of Calgary

so i hope that the following letter satisfies your curiosity

the particular exe + letter was <4.5 mb in my out box but from what they are

saying the increase is put on when it leaves the out box and is removed

before it hits your inbox so your test did not prove anything. what it did

do was cast doubt on my statement in the forum. i am not in the habit of

knowingly offering in falsehoods to people that are asking for help -- as i

"say share your knowledge"

to get the file to my friend i simply took the music out to get the file

size down and it went thru. their address is the only one in my address book

that gives me a problem due to the strict adherence to rules by the ISP.

ken

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 12:38 PM

Subject: RE: Mail System Error - Returned Mail

>

>

> Hello,

>

> My name is Tim.

>

> Mail servers are specifically designed to transmit text messages; similar

to

> electronic 'postcards', or letters. Sending large email attachments

congests

> data traffic, and delays delivery to ALL accounts on the server.

>

> Email is encrypted 'before' passing through the outgoing mail server, and

> decrypted 'after' passing through the receiving mail server. This

> encryption process can increase file size by 30% or more, depending on the

> file format.

> The 'shaw.ca' mail server can process files up to five (5) megabytes

(Total)

> in size. However, this includes the size of the outgoing file after

> encryption.

>

> Though larger files occasionally get through, the recommended setting

> guarantees safe passage through our mail server. Remember that receiving

> mail servers, especially dial-up connection mail servers, may have further

> size restrictions to as low as 1 or 2 megabytes; in which case the message

> and attachment will be rejected and returned to you.

>

> Alternatively, most email programs will allow you to 'break' the message

> into smaller pieces to send it. Please see the programs help files for

> assistance with this.

>

> FTP (File Transfer Protocol)

>

> For years the Internet has used FTP 'File Transfer Protocol', to transport

> large files across. FTP transfers files of any size, from one Internet

> connected computer to another, and is the standard used to move 'Internet

> Freight' (Large Files). Just do a search on 'FTP', as there are 'free'

and

> 'shareware' FTP programs, as well as 'packaged' software that can be

> purchased.

>

> Our first priority is to ensure that shaw.ca mail servers are available

> continuously, and we encourage you to consider file transfer options that

> directly meet the need.

>

> Please feel free to contact us, the local phone number for technical

support

> can be found at http://support.shaw.ca/contacts.htm or visit our Customer

> Support Site at http://support.shaw.ca.

>

> Thank you for choosing Shaw.

>

>

> Tim

> E-Mail Support Team

> Shaw High-Speed Internet Service

> internet.help@sjrb.ca

>

> When sending a reply to us, please remember to include all previous

> correspondence.

and additionally from one previous letter

So i would suggest you check the size limitations of you ISP emails

and/or

post your exe's to beechbrook

http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/index.asp

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87

Bill Hines hosts a site to aid members getting their shows on the web for others to share

http://beechbrook.com/upload - Upload Presentations

or set up an account at

http://www.mediafire.com/

or similar site

if you visit the forum regularily you will see members posting to both sites

ken

SPaul,

I have Posted on this problem many times before about certain ISP providers and here is a 'presse' about those Posts.

1)

Comcast is one of the 'known' bad culprits in relation to the quality of its IPS-Services to its Customers even to the

extent of being examined by many Federal-State Authorities and still it flies in the face of Communication Law and

this can be verified by a Google-Search.

2)

If ANY attachment exceeds 15.mB it is automatically 'ditched' by its Servers whether its in Zip-Format or in PDF format

or simple Plain-Text.

3)

Attempts to upload +15.mB Files to 'MediaFire' are also blocked, and unknown to most of its Customers it has a silent

counter which limits Monthly-uploads to XX-amount of Megabytes depending on the type of customer-account in service.

4)

Comcast is not the only IPS-supplier with such a track record. Virgin Communications in the U.K is another, but at least

they let you know in advance its precise business terms & conditions. Their client Anti-Virus also gives major problems.

5)

There is always an "excuse" for this arrogant behaviour, such as the "doctored" Norton-Sonar 10 provided by Comcast.Inc.

No Commercial IPS-Provider would use a domestic-product such as Norton-S10 as its mainstream 'Server-Filter System'

for the reason that such Server-Filters cost in excess of $250,000 each and additional Licence-fee's for each IPS-connection.

Note

With respects to the Norton-Symantec Corporation they know that their 'Norton-Sonar10' product is being abused by various

IPS-Providers to the extent that Customers-PC's has been effectively 'Hi-jacked' by these people and in response they have

provided an honest solution to these problems. (Refer to the Link below).

My Advice is:-

Uninstall 'Norton-Sonar-10' and replace it with 'Avast-Free Anti-Virus' and claim reposession of your Hi-Jacked Computer.

Alternatively just purchase a simple Norton AntiVirus Program ~ DO NOT PURCHASE the "Internet-Protection + Anti Virus"

(Dual-Package) otherwise you will end up as you started.

Link:-Norton Removal Tool.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20100225150644EN&pvid=nav_2010&selected_nav=5

Link:Avast Anti-Virus Tool

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

If you are in a position to dump Comcast, do it as soon as you can ~alternatively~ live with it, but at least get your PC back

under your own personal control and then download a UPX-Packer which will reduce your AV-Files up to 58%. This will give you

some 30.mB File size capacity ~ its not a lot more, but its very useful.

Hope this helps you...

Brian (Conflow).

VERY helpful responses Lin and Ken !

Brian, I will execute your approach today ! Norton-Sonar 10 is a major problem for me in MANY ways . . . not just with .EXE files. Comcast is simply the WORST Internet service provider that I've ever had. In this way, Comcast/Symantec are an appropriate combination. I plan to dump Comcast ASAP.

Excellent response, Brian . . . THANKS !!

SPaul,

We are glad to help you and anyone else who falls foul of Comcast and of course if

you get into difficulties ~ just drop a line here and we will get you on course.

Brian (Conflow)

P.S

When you go to uninstall Comcasts' (version) of Norton-Sonar10 make sure you go

to Section.2 of the Norton-Uninstaller as you were not given a 'product-key' from

Comcast.Inc ~ Section.2 of the uninstaller is provided by Norton for people in your

situation.

Brian . . .

Just an "FYI". I removed Norton and I could hear my computer breath a LARGE sigh of relief !! I then installed AVAST and all is now back to normal. I have started looking into a replacement for Comcast. Looks like my telephone company might have an answer.

Before retiring this evening, I shall point myself towards Dublin and yell (at maximum decibels) . . . . "THANK YOU, BRIAN" .

Pax Christi,

Paul