WnSoft Forums

Edwardian Liverpool

Barnston1

Hi all

Among my other interests I collect old postcards, some time ago an old lady gave me an album of cards

from the Edwardian era featuring Wirral, the Mersey & Liverpool because, "when i die they'll only get

thrown out". I thought it would be an interesting exercise to try and make them in to a show. I did at

lot more in Photoshop than I usually do, I hope somebody enjoys the results.

The download for the show is at

http://www.mediafire.com/?cjuut15wqh62cnd

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barnstom1

Downloaded your show as we have strong memories of Liverpool having kept our first yacht in the Marina for a while. Great pictures, but IMHO there was a tad too much animation & the images were not on the screen long enough. Liked the idea of the frame, however it did reduce the size of the picture being viewed somewhat on my 5-4 monitor. Had you thought of converting a few of the images to sepia then fading them in to colour? Another technique I've seen is to take shots as of now & fade them into then, or visa versa. Overall it's a keeper for me B)

Yachtsman1.

BARNSTON

great collection c/w manual control, thank you sir

in my darkroom days i lucked on 1 ea 36 and 20 exposure b/w film to process -- they were some copies of postcards and random shots that were taken in the first half of the 20th century - ship scenes on the great lakes - steamers, wrecks etc - they were very poor copies but as they say something is better than nothing

ken

BARNSTON

great collection c/w manual control, thank you sir

in my darkroom days i lucked on 1 ea 36 and 20 exposure b/w film to process -- they were some copies of postcards and random shots that were taken in the first half of the 20th century - ship scenes on the great lakes - steamers, wrecks etc - they were very poor copies but as they say something is better than nothing

ken

HI Colin,

I enjoyed that sequence .............. it was great to see some pictures of Liverpool when it was still 'booming'.

For me, presenting the cards against the album-cover background kept them in context and gave a sense of continuity to the images. Your choices for the final couple of postcards were good, leading us nicely into the closing frames of the sequence.

Being able to use the space-bar to stop the sequence and examine selected images more closely was a bonus.

Regards,

Sheila G

Thanks for the kind comments, too much Photoshop in that one for me my Colours of Summer is more me.

Enjoyed your Grand Day Out, liked the voice over, I want to make an A/V about the live of Norman Ellison

'Nomad' opf the BBC which will need a voice over but haven't got round to sound recording yet

Regards

Colin Millington

Hi Thanks for the kind comments, re the colouring, it was the way the ere made in B/W then

later the producers would hand colour them, so its as they are, I'm hoping to get a few

better images when i visit a postcard fair nxt month

Regards

Colin M