WnSoft Forums

Lip Sync

I recently tried to combine multiple movies from different cameras (a Nikon D600 and a Nikon S9100) of the same "event" in PTE and maintain a Lip Sync throughout the Video.

Think of someone making a speech and having one "roving" camera which showed the speaker from time to time and another tightly framed on the speaker's head inset into it.

Since the cameras were started at different times it was not possible to just drop both into a slide and have them be perfectly in Synchronisation.

Firstly, I dragged the "head shot" movie into a slide and allowed the Converter to do its job. This became my "master" movie and I muted the audio in O&A Properties. I also sized it so that it fitted into a corner of the 1920x1080 frame.

I then added the Audio of the "head shot" movie in Project Options / Audio.

I played the resulting slide to make sure that all was well with the sound levels and the sync.

I then added the second "roving camera" movie (converted) behind the "head shot" movie and muted its audio in O&A Properties.

Because the "roving" camera had been started before the "head shot" camera, events in the movies were offset by that time difference. By moving the cursor in either O&A or the mini-viewer it was possible to find an event in both of the movies which could be used to Synchronise them. I noted the time difference between such an event in each of the movies and made the rough adjustment in O&A / Properties / Start Time for the "roving" camera file. It might, sometimes, be necessary to use the "offset" parameter to get the synchronisation depending on which camera was started first.

At this point there was still a small difference between the two movies and further adjustments were made (fractions of a second) by trial and error until perfection in Lip Sync was achieved. At this point the duration of each file could be adjusted to ensure that both movies ended at the same time. The overall time of the adjusted movies was transfered to the Slide Duration Time.

It was an interesting excercise and proved just how versatile PTE can be when it comes to Video/Audio insertion.

DG