WnSoft Forums

Slide show too big?

Slrguy

I routinely shoot live stage shows for the owners and submit the images on a dvd using PicturesToExe for review. This has worked fine in the past. This time I've got 540 photos at about 5megs each with the resulting exe file at 2.5 gigs. PicturesToExe previews fine and creates the exe but the exe is not readable. Nothing happens when the exe is double clicked but it is listed in the Processes tab of Task Manager. This has never happened before. I tried moving the file to another computer with the same result. I tried uninstalling ver. 4.48 and installing ver. 4.2 with the same result. Is this a bug?

From version 4.48 - Help - FAQ

Question:

What is the largest size that the generated EXE file can be?

Answer:

The resulting EXE file can not be larger than 2100 Mb.

Thanks for the clarification.

I also noticed that the program predicted an exe size of 1.69 gig. When creating the exe the % bar went beyond 100% (about 130%) then went back to 95% and climbed back up to 100%. Maybe there should be some warning built into the program if it exceeds 2.1 gig instead of creating a file that can't be used. Just a suggestion.

I routinely shoot live stage shows for the owners and submit the images on a dvd using PicturesToExe for review. This has worked fine in the past. This time I've got 540 photos at about 5megs each with the resulting exe file at 2.5 gigs. PicturesToExe previews fine and creates the exe but the exe is not readable. Nothing happens when the exe is double clicked but it is listed in the Processes tab of Task Manager. This has never happened before. I tried moving the file to another computer with the same result. I tried uninstalling ver. 4.48 and installing ver. 4.2 with the same result. Is this a bug?

Probably you will want to resample the originals down to a more usable size. The highest resolution monitors built today are 9 megapixel so unless the owners are using a $6,000 monitor to display the slideshows, you would get better results on the executables by doing a batch resample using something like IrfanView to get the image sizes down to the display resolution of the monitors being used to view the slideshow.

Even though P2E does on the fly resample very well, you will get better images by doing it yourself and it doesn't take IrfanView (free) very long to batch resample using some very good interpolation algorithms.

For best results with DVD you would also want to do this and resample down to around 1024 on the longest axis rather than let the program downsample the originals. It will go quicker and the results will be superior. Just a suggestion....

Best regards,

Lin

Probably you will want to resample the originals down to a more usable size. The highest resolution monitors built today are 9 megapixel so unless the owners are using a $6,000 monitor to display the slideshows, you would get better results on the executables by doing a batch resample using something like IrfanView to get the image sizes down to the display resolution of the monitors being used to view the slideshow.

Even though P2E does on the fly resample very well, you will get better images by doing it yourself and it doesn't take IrfanView (free) very long to batch resample using some very good interpolation algorithms.

For best results with DVD you would also want to do this and resample down to around 1024 on the longest axis rather than let the program downsample the originals. It will go quicker and the results will be superior. Just a suggestion....

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I indeed ended up resampling down about 50% and that solved the issue completely. I used ThumbsPlus in batch mode only because it was already installed.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

Currently, I do resampling in Photoshop usung the crop tool. Having read your comments I'd like to hear your opinion on whether better results would be obtained using IrfanView.

Quite fancy one of those $6000 monitors too!

John

Lin,

Currently, I do resampling in Photoshop usung the crop tool. Having read your comments I'd like to hear your opinion on whether better results would be obtained using IrfanView.

Quite fancy one of those $6000 monitors too!

John

Hi John,

Actually, there is no qualitative difference in our experience in using Photoshop (5, 7, CS - we don't have CS2) and using IrfanView - essentially the same algorithms are available in both. The primary advantage in my experience of using IrfanView is speed and convenience. Creating a Photoshop action can greatly speed up doing 500 images in Photoshop, but IrfanView already has batch processing, auto sharpening (you set the amount), automated file rename, etc., which makes it ever more convenient. It's definitely easier, especially for those without serious Photoshop experience, to use a program like IrfanView to do batch resizing.

Yes the high resolution moniotors are very nice but complex (we have one) and tend to spoil the user in terms of image quality expectations. Our medium resolution monitors (Nokia 445Xi) which have screen displays at 2048x1536 pixels are plenty good for any practical purposes. Actually I keep mine at 1024x768 most of the time because my 64 year old eyes are not as good as they onece were - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin