WnSoft Forums

Beta 3 "problem"? 1 of 2

dagrace

I made a real show with Beta #3 yesterday and ran into a couple things. If they’re “not implemented yet”, that’s just fine. If I need education and experience, that’s fine too. But I’m not satisfied that this is the way it should be forever. :unsure:

I’ll try to simplify.

Situation #1

Defaults are 1.5 sec transition and 4 sec duration.

I have 6 slides. Using music and timeline, I adjust #3 so that duration is 2 seconds and transition is .5 seconds. I adjust #4 so that duration is 1 second and transition is immediate (0 time and the bottom check mark on the effects). Let’s also say that I’ve manually adjusted each slide on the timeline (I tend to do that to synch up exactly with the downbeat of the music or a symbol crash, etc.)

So my timeline looks like this (just the durations, not showing transitions):

|-- 4 --|-- 4 --|-- 2 --|-- 1 --|-- 4 --|-- 4 --|

So on the timeline, slide #5 starts at T=12, and #6 is at T=16. Total show is 19 seconds long. (Say the music is 30 seconds long.)

Now, I notice a flaw in the image in slide #4. I always make copies of the images for PTE, so I go back to the “original” and fix it. Now I save it as PTE_4b.jpg (instead of PTE_4.jpg).

I want to put it 4b right where 4 was.

A. If I remove 4 from the show and drag 4b into its spot, it has the default timings, and slides #5 and #6 are now moved out by 3 seconds. Unless I did something wrong, when I change the duration and transition times, it does NOT pull #5 and #6 back. I had to move them back manually.

B. I was thinking I could (outside of PTE) rename “4” to “old4” and “4b” to “4”. Now when I re-open PTE, will it grab the “new” #4 and keep the same timings?

C. Any other way to keep the timings of all the others intact, or at least have them restored when I change the newly inserted slide? If I had used the defaults for everything and let PTE synch to the music, it would be fine. But as I mentioned, I usually end up touching each slide on the timeline and moving it (not necessarily changing the duration or the transition) a bit.

I have to admit I have not tried to duplicate this in 4.x, so it may work the same.

This seems like a “technique” or “workflow” issue that Al or Ken or some of the other Masters can lick (or already have!) :D

This is so long, I will post the other situation in a separate thread.

I made a real show with Beta #3 yesterday and ran into a couple things. If they’re “not implemented yet”, that’s just fine. If I need education and experience, that’s fine too. But I’m not satisfied that this is the way it should be forever. :unsure:

I’ll try to simplify.

Situation #1

Defaults are 1.5 sec transition and 4 sec duration.

I have 6 slides. Using music and timeline, I adjust #3 so that duration is 2 seconds and transition is .5 seconds. I adjust #4 so that duration is 1 second and transition is immediate (0 time and the bottom check mark on the effects). Let’s also say that I’ve manually adjusted each slide on the timeline (I tend to do that to synch up exactly with the downbeat of the music or a symbol crash, etc.)

So my timeline looks like this (just the durations, not showing transitions):

|-- 4 --|-- 4 --|-- 2 --|-- 1 --|-- 4 --|-- 4 --|

So on the timeline, slide #5 starts at T=12, and #6 is at T=16. Total show is 19 seconds long. (Say the music is 30 seconds long.)

Now, I notice a flaw in the image in slide #4. I always make copies of the images for PTE, so I go back to the “original” and fix it. Now I save it as PTE_4b.jpg (instead of PTE_4.jpg).

I want to put it 4b right where 4 was.

A. If I remove 4 from the show and drag 4b into its spot, it has the default timings, and slides #5 and #6 are now moved out by 3 seconds. Unless I did something wrong, when I change the duration and transition times, it does NOT pull #5 and #6 back. I had to move them back manually.

B. I was thinking I could (outside of PTE) rename “4” to “old4” and “4b” to “4”. Now when I re-open PTE, will it grab the “new” #4 and keep the same timings?

C. Any other way to keep the timings of all the others intact, or at least have them restored when I change the newly inserted slide? If I had used the defaults for everything and let PTE synch to the music, it would be fine. But as I mentioned, I usually end up touching each slide on the timeline and moving it (not necessarily changing the duration or the transition) a bit.

I have to admit I have not tried to duplicate this in 4.x, so it may work the same.

This seems like a “technique” or “workflow” issue that Al or Ken or some of the other Masters can lick (or already have!) :D

This is so long, I will post the other situation in a separate thread.

I can tell you how I deal with this. Whenever I have such an issue, I save the slideshow and close P2E. I then make necessary changes to the file and copy the altered file to the folder where I'm working from but using the identical name as the old file, then reopen p2e and all timings, etc., are preserved just as they were. If I decide to change an image or substitute an image in a particular position, I usually change to file name of the image to be substituted to the name of the image which will be removed and do the file swap with P2E closed.

The issue is that file information in the .pte file is maintained by file name not by position in the slide list. There may be an option to keep the same timings, etc., in terms of position, but I don't think there is because the pt2 file is regenerated whenever you save your work and since the information for a given image is saved and associated with that image name in the .pte template, I find it easier, especially with a long slideshow containing many images if I just substitute names. I rarely assign timings or effects until after I have finalized the order of the slides. It's not a simple thing to go back and re-set everything in a length show with many slides so I usually name my slides for a show by number such as 01.jpg, 02,jpg, etc. I use IrfanView to batch process and this makes it very easy to rename if I decide to change positions, etc., without messing up the file associated timings, animations, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

I can tell you how I deal with this. Whenever I have such an issue, I save the slideshow and close P2E. I then make necessary changes to the file and copy the altered file to the folder where I'm working from but using the identical name as the old file, then reopen p2e and all timings, etc., are preserved just as they were. If I decide to change an image or substitute an image in a particular position, I usually change to file name of the image to be substituted to the name of the image which will be removed and do the file swap with P2E closed.

The issue is that file information in the .pte file is maintained by file name not by position in the slide list. There may be an option to keep the same timings, etc., in terms of position, but I don't think there is because the pt2 file is regenerated whenever you save your work and since the information for a given image is saved and associated with that image name in the .pte template, I find it easier, especially with a long slideshow containing many images if I just substitute names. I rarely assign timings or effects until after I have finalized the order of the slides. It's not a simple thing to go back and re-set everything in a length show with many slides so I usually name my slides for a show by number such as 01.jpg, 02,jpg, etc. I use IrfanView to batch process and this makes it very easy to rename if I decide to change positions, etc., without messing up the file associated timings, animations, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks. I'll try that. I think back in the "Days of Olde" Al had an excel spreadsheet and macros that managed all the timing info. I'm sure it's doable, but the best answer is probably "Do it right the first time!" :P