WnSoft Forums

AUDIO EDITING

davegee

• 2 weeks later...

Great way to display how it works! Thanks!

Can you add how crossfade works? I thought it would do the job of fading into the next track, but when I tried it with 6.5 beta 3, it did not do what I expected... Mind you this is beta software...

Dick

Hi Dick,

I'm not sure that I can figure out what Igor's version of Crossfading actually does.

I have demonstrated above a LINEAR CROSSFADE using the Fade In and Fade Out sliders.

True crossfading would attempt to keep the volume constant throughout while the first piece ends and the second piece begins and a number of different curves could be used to achieve this i.e. Linear; Sinusoidal; Logarithmic.

Maybe someone else has some knowledge of what Igor's version of Crossfading does. I have tried a variety of combinations and none of them appear to make any sense given my definition of Crossfading.

The only thing I know for certain is that if, for instance, you inserted two pieces of music in a track the first piece being 4.36 long and the second 2.57 long, by adding a crossfade of 33 secs to both tracks the total time for the track becomes 7.00 long.

I'm struggling a little to define what happens (and how it happens) during the 33 sec Crossfade.

DG

Hi Dick,

I'm not sure that I can figure out what Igor's version of Crossfading actually does.

I have demonstrated above a LINEAR CROSSFADE using the Fade In and Fade Out sliders.

True crossfading would attempt to keep the volume constant throughout while the first piece ends and the second piece begins and a number of different curves could be used to achieve this i.e. Linear; Sinusoidal; Logarithmic.

Yeah...

After experimenting I learned the role of offset in delaying the start of given track. Since the Offset/Crossfade appear to be radio buttons, (you can only select one of them at a time) I thought perhaps they played similar roles. Selecting offset to decide when a track takes over from another or overlays according to the fade in and fade out parameters and that is how I made my slideshow. But I had the impression that selecting crossfade would achieve the same result without setting the fade in and fade out parameters.

I look forward to someone with an example of the cross fade function.

Dick

Dick,

DavidP has provided an example here: http://www.picturest...showtopic=12006

While he was working on that I devised a little test which allowed me to see / hear what was going on during a Crossfade.

To cut a long story short, if you have two MP3 files in a track you need only apply Crossfade to the second file. The type of waveform applied appears to be LINEAR.

Applying Crossfade to the first MP3 merely fades the music in for the duration of the set (crossfade) value. (Crossfade only applies to the beginning of the MP3).

If you insert more than one MP3 into any given track they will play consecutively and applying crossfade to the second and third etc provides an overlap.

If you insert MP3 files into different tracks then the OFFSET is required to give the correct placement of the second, third etc MP3s.

DG