WnSoft Forums

can anyone help me??

cheryl.

i have already spent three and a half hours this morning trying to burn this DVD. :blink: i am pretty much losing my mind at this point. LOL

I have a slideshow....not too big...maybe 10 megs or so...synched to music...normal transitions and plenty of time between pics....

The exe looks perfect and synchs perfectly.....I click video to make the avi.....the avi looks PERFECT and synchs perfectly....

So then I open Nero (version 6) and add the avi file.....and NOTHING is timed correctly...the music plays normally but the first slide doesn't even come on for about 30 seconds and then each slide takes like thirty seconds to show when it should be FOUR! :(

I NEED to ship this thing out to the client, but I honestly cannot figure out what I could be doing wrong. I tried playing with the settings in Nero....but no matter what I do, it is always messed up.

Can anyone help me? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl,

Welcome to the Forum!

It's a little difficult to know what might be going wrong without being there and watching your process for creating the DVD. However, some further information would be helpful. How large are the images (in pixels)? How fast are the transitions? Have you actually burned a show to DVD, or is the problem showing up in the preview of the avi before you burn to DVD? Are you selecting the proper video mode (i.e. DVD mode if you are planning to burn a DVD.) Please describe your procedure and nature of the show a little more so someone can suggest a possible problem area.

You might try a different show as a test of your procedure - put a test show together consisting of 8 or 10 medium-sized images (say 1024x768 px), medium-speed transitions (say 2 sec), with lots of time between transitions (at least 2-3 sec.). Use only "fade" or "quick" transitions for the test. Also, do not forget to leave the "PTE" project open while you are doing all the rendering in Nero.

Hope some of this helps. :)

i have already spent three and a half hours this morning trying to burn this DVD. :blink: i am pretty much losing my mind at this point. LOL

I have a slideshow....not too big...maybe 10 megs or so...synched to music...normal transitions and plenty of time between pics....

The exe looks perfect and synchs perfectly.....I click video to make the avi.....the avi looks PERFECT and synchs perfectly....

So then I open Nero (version 6) and add the avi file.....and NOTHING is timed correctly...the music plays normally but the first slide doesn't even come on for about 30 seconds and then each slide takes like thirty seconds to show when it should be FOUR! :(

I NEED to ship this thing out to the client, but I honestly cannot figure out what I could be doing wrong. I tried playing with the settings in Nero....but no matter what I do, it is always messed up.

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry you are having this issue. First, can you answer a couple questions? Did you make a stand-alone AVI that works properly? Which codec did you use? Have you burned DVD's in the past which worked correctly with this version of Nero? If you indeed made a 'stand-alone" AVI which works properly, then the issue can be attributed to some problem with Nero or even possibly with the media.

Why don't you download one of the free DVD burn software programs and give them a try, at least until the nature of the problem can be discovered. Here is a link to one:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Video...ee/1133302143/1

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Cheryl,

Al and Lin have already made some of the comments I would have made. I have done quite a lot of experimentation with using various different codecs to produce video and also tried both Nero 6 (neroVision Express Version 2) and Ulead Movie Factory. Although I can get both to work, I have had problems with the Nero coder. One thing to ensure is that you are creating the temporary AVI file using the PTE codec. When you click on "create video", try selecting the last option in the list - "DVD-video Disk". If you have a copy of Ulead Movie Factory, tick the box "For Ulead DVD MovieFactory". This should creat a temporary avi file which you can import into Ulead. This is the method I use now and it always works.

You are not trying to do this with Version 5 are you, as this may not be fully implemented yet?

Jeff

First, thank you so much for your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. :)

I downloaded that other DVD burner software and had the exact same result.

To answer your questions, the files are about 500x700 pixels in size. There are 59 slides and the music duration is 3:29 so each one is on the screen roughly 3 and a half seconds....with about a one second fade time. I only use fade and no other transitions.

I have never burned a DVD from pix2exe before. This is my first time ever. I have made numerous data DVDs before using Nero and never had a problem.

I AM selecting DVD mode...and if i leave the window open but open the folder up that contains the temporary AVI file....I can view it in windows and it looks PERFECT...

I don't know anything about codecs....so I don't even know what that is to know which one i used. LOL

Did I answer everything?? Let me know if you have any more questions or ideas that I can try!!! Thank you again for your time.

one more thing....i also tried to just make a VCD, but i get the exact same thing.....

Cheryl

I have never burned a DVD from pix2exe before. This is my first time ever. I have made numerous data DVDs before using Nero and never had a problem.

Burning Data and DVD Video are different.

Encoding DVD video can take close to 100 % of computer resources.

You may want to try shutting down any running programs “ EXCEPT PICTURES TO EXE “ – which is minimized.

I go as far as turning off my Internet connection – closing down my virus scanner, mailer – etc. and not touching the computer while encoding.

I don't know anything about codecs

Just choose ( DVD – Video disc ) – choose ( NTSC / PAL ) your area, and try that first.

First, thank you so much for your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. :)

I downloaded that other DVD burner software and had the exact same result.

To answer your questions, the files are about 500x700 pixels in size. There are 59 slides and the music duration is 3:29 so each one is on the screen roughly 3 and a half seconds....with about a one second fade time. I only use fade and no other transitions.

I AM selecting DVD mode...and if i leave the window open but open the folder up that contains the temporary AVI file....I can view it in windows and it looks PERFECT...

I don't know anything about codecs....so I don't even know what that is to know which one i used. LOL

Did I answer everything?? Let me know if you have any more questions or ideas that I can try!!! Thank you again for your time.

one more thing....i also tried to just make a VCD, but i get the exact same thing.....

Hi Cheryl,

Do the following:

Open your pte file and click on the "Video" tab then click inside the very top little circle next to where is says "Create Custom AVI Video File". This should put a "dot" inside that circle. Next type in the precise size you want under the "Width" - "Height" tabs and type "29.97" in the space under the FPS (frames per second) tab. Next click on the "Video Codec" tab and then from the "Video Compression" window, click on the little black down arrow in the small blue block in the Compressor window.

Please write down everything under the PicturesToExe Video Codec tab and list it for us. A "Codec" is a compress/decompress algorithm which is used to create video or audio compression. Some work very well for DVD's and some are not suitable. Each computer will usually have several of these available depending on software you've downloaded in the past which included these codecs. You "may" need to download and install other "free" codecs but first let's see what you already have available.

The PicturesToExe Codec is not a true Video Codec in that it doesn't create a stand-alone AVI file but rather furnishes audio information for Nero or other specific burning engines along with a "template" of transitions and image files which lets them use their own Codec choice to actually burn the DVD.

In addition, PicturesToExe can use other codecs to create stand-alone AVI files which can subsequently be burned to DVD disks. In your case, something is not quite right about the use of Nero so what you may want to do first is create a good stand-alone AVI file. One which can be played on any computer regardless of whether PicturesToExe is resident and open. Once you have successfully created a quality stand-alone AVI file, the rest will be quite simple.

So report back on which Video codecs your system has by following the instructions above and then we can help you choose a suitable codec to make a stand-alone AVI file to proceed.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi again!

Thanks for trying to help me.

As soon as I'm done writing this, I'll try to do it again with everything else shut down.....but I don't even have to start the process of encoding to see that it's not right. In the PREVIEW screen....before you even burn the DVD....it is not right.

So this codec thing...would have the Avi file looking FINE by itself until I pull it into Nero?

My choices for codecs are:

Pictures to EXE Codec (selected)

Cinepak Codec by Radius

Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50

Intel Indeo® Video R3.2

Intel Indeo® Video 4.5

Intel IYUV Codec

Microsoft RLE

Microsoft Video 1

Microsoft H.263 Video Codec

Microsoft H.261 Video Codec

Indeo ® Video 5.10

TechSmith Screen Capture Codec

Full Frames (Uncompressed)

one more thing....

how LONG should it take to create the avi file? the only message i get while it's creating is encoding audio files and it literally takes 3 seconds to make. is that part supposed to take longer? and it is supposed to show and "encoding video" message? because it does not.

Hi again!

Thanks for trying to help me.

As soon as I'm done writing this, I'll try to do it again with everything else shut down.....but I don't even have to start the process of encoding to see that it's not right. In the PREVIEW screen....before you even burn the DVD....it is not right.

So this codec thing...would have the Avi file looking FINE by itself until I pull it into Nero?

My choices for codecs are:

Pictures to EXE Codec (selected)

Cinepak Codec by Radius

Intel 4:2:0 Video V2.50

Intel Indeo® Video R3.2

Intel Indeo® Video 4.5

Intel IYUV Codec

Microsoft RLE

Microsoft Video 1

Microsoft H.263 Video Codec

Microsoft H.261 Video Codec

Indeo ® Video 5.10

TechSmith Screen Capture Codec

Full Frames (Uncompressed)

one more thing....

how LONG should it take to create the avi file? the only message i get while it's creating is encoding audio files and it literally takes 3 seconds to make. is that part supposed to take longer? and it is supposed to show and "encoding video" message? because it does not.

Hi Cheryl,

Of the codecs you have listed, Cinepak by Radius is the best candidate for a stand-alone AVI file. Follow the previous instructions to get to the point where you selected the little black down arrow in the small blue box then change the selection to the Cinepak by Radius codec. Use the 29.97 frames per second and set the display size to something very standard for now until we get this sorted out. I would choose 800x600 (this won't be the final DVD size) and create the stand-alone AVI file.

This will take a good bit of time - the fact that you only took a few seconds tells me that you were looking at the PicturesToExe Codec which just sends the software a template for video and doesn't actually make a stand-alone AVI file itself.

Once you have created the AVI file, test it by playing it back. Then if it looks good, use the downloaded software first to burn a DVD. If that works, try Nero. It will take a bit of time which you don't have right now to sort out why Nero isn't working correctly. It "could" be something you are doing, it "could" be the interface between Nero and the PicturesToExe AVI template. Buy to solve your immediate problem, i.e., getting your client a DVD, let's go ahead and make a stand-alone AVI file to work with.

Best regards,

Lin

ok...so it JUST got done. wow. that took forever.

i now have some new problems. LOL

it looks like it created the avi file....but the quality of the pictures is very poor....and they look all "sparkly" during the transitions and the transitions just jump instead of fading. i'm wondering if i didn't set the settings correctly when i made the custom parameters....like what should i have the compression quality set at???

so i pulled it into both nero and that other program....and AGAIN....both of them start the first slide at around 18 seconds and then each slide stays up for like 30 seconds....

or is the preview screen not an accurate representation of what i'd actually get on the burned DVD?

PLEASE advise...and i'm sorry if this is getting annoying....if it makes you feel any better, i'm actually annoying MYSELF! LOL

ok...so it JUST got done. wow. that took forever.

i now have some new problems. LOL

it looks like it created the avi file....but the quality of the pictures is very poor....and they look all "sparkly" during the transitions and the transitions just jump instead of fading. i'm wondering if i didn't set the settings correctly when i made the custom parameters....like what should i have the compression quality set at???

so i pulled it into both nero and that other program....and AGAIN....both of them start the first slide at around 18 seconds and then each slide stays up for like 30 seconds....

or is the preview screen not an accurate representation of what i'd actually get on the burned DVD?

PLEASE advise...and i'm sorry if this is getting annoying....if it makes you feel any better, i'm actually annoying MYSELF! LOL

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry to be so late responding - I've been out of town on a job since just after my last post. Let's try something else because there seems to be a problem where there shouldn't be.

If you open your P2E file then click on file then "Create Backup in Zip". Once the zip file is created, can you post a link to it? I'll download the P2E zip file and create an AVI file for you then post a link to the created AVI and at least this will get you started so you can burn the DVD. We can figure this out, but something isn't quite right because the AVI "should" play very well without the issues you are having.

It's "possible" that you may need to download and install the free ACE Mega Codec pack and use one of the Microsoft MPEG codecs eventually, but for now if you zip up the pte file and images (this is all done automatically by following the above) then we can get a good AVI file created with the proper parameters.

In general, you want to use the least possible compression on the AVI file. You need some or the file size could be huge but I would guess that you want the least compression possible with the codec being used to get the best quality AVI which will then make the best quality DVD.

I have plenty of storage space so I can post a link to the AVI file and you can then download it and burn it to DVD. I have all available codecs and tomorrow I'll find the link to the ACE Mega Codec Pack download so you can download and install some of the better ones. This will greatly help with your creation of quality AVI. Eventually Igor will have the Deluxe version of 5.0 with it's own burn engine and this will all be an academic exercise, but to get your slideshow burned for your client, the quickest way is to probably let me do the AVI for you then we can decide on the best codec for you to use and the precise parameters for the best results.

You can call me if you wish at 303-776-8897 in Colorado or email at data2@lpbroadband.net.

You can always reach me from my site at:

http://www.lin-evans.net

Just follow the email link......

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Cheryl,

There are a few comments in your original post that don't make sense to me.

After clicking Create AVI, you say the AVI looks perfect and syncs perfectly, but it shouldn't. The proprietary AVI P2E creates does not play smoothly or is synced to the music. There are reasons for this, but you don't need to be concerned with them.

Nero itself does not create video DVDs. If you are using Nero Vision Express, then everything is ok. You are probably seeing delay in the video portion when you are using the preview mode in Nero Vision Express (when the remote is on the computer screen). This is normal.

Burn the DVD and view it in a stand alone DVD player connected to a TV set. The show should play fine. You can also play it in your computer DVD player to check it, though it won't look as good as through the TV set and may stutter depending on what software/hardware you have on your computer.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Hi again!

Steve....I can view the "stand alone AVI" (least i think that's what it is) and it DID look perfect, so I'm not sure how i managed that if i am not supposed to be able to view it. LOL And yes, I am using Nero Express!!!

Lin helped me get the AVI, but now i'm having an impossible time getting the quality to where someone could watch it on a TV. I'm going to do a search to see what i can do about that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry for the late reply. I don't read these forums as often as I would like.

You can view the proprietary AVI files that P2E produces. The quality in terms of stuttering and sync probably depends on how fast your computer is. For my computer, there are noticeable lags when the proprietary AVI file plays by clicking on the filename in windows explorer, and huge lags when previewed in Nero Vision Express 3 (about 3 "next" screens into the process, when the DVD remote is on the right side of the screen).

I should have asked in my first reply, but are you burning a DVD and then watching it on a TV through a DVD player to view its quality? Viewing video files on a computer don't give you the complete picture as far as quality that one would see on a TV set.

If so, at this point I can only offer you the settings I use that produce good quality DVD movie discs when viewed on a TV set with a DVD player.

1. Resize photo files to 1024x768 using photo program (like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc).

2. Use Create Custom AVI video and set it to 720x480

3. Uncheck boxes for Pinnacle Studio and Ulead Moviemaker templates

4. Check Smart Anti-Flicker filter

5. Select Progressive Video in drop down box below Smart Anti-Flicker filter

Create the proprietary AVI file, load it into Nero VISION Express 3 and go through the steps and burn DVD movie disc. View result on TV set using stand alone DVD player.

If there are still some images that are sparkly you can try selecting the Blur box on the Objects and Animation page for that image. Most of the artifacts that bother me on the TV set are caused by jaggies or sharp contrast edges often seen in scenes with leaves or water.

If all the pictures still look bad, you could try setting the parameters in NeroVision Express 3 to the following (again, what I use in my DVD movie slideshows)

1. On the first screen, click More button, then Video Options, then DVD-Video tab

2. Quality Setting: High quality Sample format: Progressive Encoding mode: High Quality 2-Pass

3. Back on first screen, click on Edit Movie..., click on Blue Checkmark under the preview window

4. Set volume to 100% if it is not already that value

This isn't guaranteed to produce a good looking DVD movie, but it works well for the slideshows I create and using the equipment I have. There are too many parameters

The smoothness and resolution (essentially 640x480) of DVD movie slideshows is much lower than what you see when viewing a EXE slideshow file on the computer. But I think the quality is still good on the TV compared to content that is usually watched on TV.

Hope that helps a little,

Steve

Tucson, AZ

P.S. After rereading some of your responses to the forum, it's possible your original photo files don't have enough resolution to make a good quality DVD movie disc. Starting with 500x700 pixel images (they are portrait, higher than wider?), they will be resized to 343x480 to fit the DVD format. And depending on the content of the images (lots of detail for example), it may be asking too much of such a small resolution.