WnSoft Forums

pictures not found

Photofanatic

Could anyone tell me if there is a way of forcing pte 5.6 to 'reconnect' missing files if the 'pictures not found' message comes up when the project opens? or can this be manually done by browsing for the new location and telling the program to reconnect. Like in elements organizer?}

Guest Yachtsman1
Could anyone tell me if there is a way of forcing pte 5.6 to 'reconnect' missing files if the 'pictures not found' message comes up when the project opens? or can this be manually done by browsing for the new location and telling the program to reconnect. Like in elements organizer?}

Hi

I don't think you can.

To ensure it doesn't happen again, when starting a new show, start a new file and put everything connected with the show in it, pictures, sound files, PTE create icon & created PTE icon. It's common what has happened to you if you don't follow that regime.

However someone may be able to tell you how to find the missing pictures. It happened to me in my early days, until I started doing things as suggested.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Photofanatic,

PTE does not have the ability to reconnect to missing images or to missing sound files. The PTE project file simply records the pathname and filename. So, if you edit your image or sound file and then re-open your PTE project, it will automatically pick up the modified file provided it still has the same name and is still in the same place.

Only when you Create an EXE file does PTE actually include the image file and/or sound file into the final EXE file.

Therefore, as yachtsman1 has suggested, the best modus operandi is to create a new folder for each new AV sequence and to then place in that folder all the image files and sound files that you think you might use.

To resolve specific instances of missing files:

- find all the missing files and copy them into the folder for this AV sequence

- use the Change Image File feature on the upper tool bar to reconnect to a missing main image

- or, for an image used as an object, then take the Properties tab within the O&A window and browse to the image location.

regards,

Peter

Photofanatic

This is a problem I encountered sometime ago as a result of repartitioning my hard drive.

A work-around that will let you recover the show I found is as follows--

1/ Open the .pte file in PTE. Select a missing image in the slide/time line. The missing image file old path will be displayed in the preview window and the status line. (screen-print 1).

2/ Click on "Change Image File" at the top of the screen. This will open an explorer window. Locate where the missing image file now resides and select it. (hopefully the image name will still be the same which will make it easier to find). It will now be inserted into your pte project.

3/ Work through the project replacing each file this way. If you have one the sound file can be replaced by selecting "Project options" "Music" tab which will show the old path and filename. Delete it and then add the same file at its new location.

4/Once this is all done and the PTE project previews OK most important make a Template of it . "File > Templates > Create a template for this show" this will gather a copy of all the image/sound/pte files together and can be used for this show in the future if you have this problem again.

Hope this gets you out of trouble.

post-3194-1245628005_thumb.jpg