WnSoft Forums

cosmetic/user-friendly improvement to Video Builder

Just a suggestion for the interface on the next version of Video Builder, arising from my burn-error difficulties described on a separate thread, which arose from inadequate space for temp files on the default C drive location on my computer <_<

Currently the main temp files for the burn to DVD option are located using a field in Project Options>Program, which is easy for the careless (e.g., me ;) ) or the technically unsophisticated to overlook.

On the final page of the Video Builder interface, there are default locations (which can be changed) for the temp files for creating MPEG2, DVD folders and ISO files, but not for the DVD burn itself. I would prefer to see the llocation for the field that designates where temp files for the DVD burn are to be stored, moved from Project Options to this final interface page, for consistency with the fields for all the other temp files, and for easier and more prominent access.

I also would recommend adding a short warning, perhaps in bold or red font, on that same final page, something like "be sure that the drive for the temporary files contains at least 2 GB of empty space for every 1 GB or 20 minutes of DVD space needed for your project." If this restriction also applies to the MPEG2, DVD folder or ISO file options AS WELL, then obviously this should be indicated too.

I don't think this warning is mentioned prominently anywhere else in the software nor in the user manual (as far as I've noticed anyway). One can find this advice if one thinks to search the Forum for posts on burn errors, but many users won't think of that. As this lack of adequate temp-file space may be a prime cause of frustrating burn errors in Video Builder (and certainly that was true in my own case), I think it is important to make these warnings more prominent, as I've suggested above.