WnSoft Forums

Holding the playback marker

11pete34

I am using version 5.6 and the Timeline to accurately set slides to music. When the playback is paused at a particular time in the music is it posible to hold the palyback marker in that position.

It will stay in position when a slide previous to the marker is moved forward to the marker but when a preceeding slide needs to be moved back to the marker the marker jumpes to the end of it's fade area, thus making it necessary to always make a paper note of the time the playback marker stopped at.

Thanks to anyone with an answer or is this a suggestion for version 5.7

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

I'm not sure what your problem is, but if you move a slide from behind the timeline marker the slides in front of it will drop back to fill the gap. The way I do what you are trying to acheive, I use audacity to mix my st then leave it open so I can switch between PTE & Audacity, this way I can judge exactly where a slide needs to go in relation to the st. Alternatively set all your slides in their correct positions, clear all the time line points, run the st & click when you want a slide to appear. This is the method Peter introduced me to:

Instructions For Slide positions on Time line

1. Select all slides.

2. Click “Cut Transition Button.

3. Click Waveform.

4. Either run show in mini player, or manually select.

5. Click new transition button for each new slide corresponding with ST.

6. When Finished, Click Timed Points Button, and Set End Of Last Slide At End Of ST.

7. Save as is if successful.

Yachtsman1

Thank you Yachtsman for replying to my query.

I have used your suggestion for initially setting slides to music but invariably there are some mistimed insertions. I don't know what you mean about the slide dropping back to fill the space when a slide previous to the marker is moved as I am talking about moving slides not removing them.

It's all bacause the timeline playing position marker jumps to the end of the fade time when a slide is highlighted, which is necessary before it can be moved backward or forward on the timeline. Sometimes this movement is less than a second or so.

This must be a problem for everyone who wants very accurate slide and music syncronisation without having to keep repeating playback.

Peter

Peter

This must be a problem for everyone who wants very accurate slide and music syncronisation without having to keep repeating playback.

Yes the accurately synchronisation of sound to images is a long standing problem with many users in PTE. So much so that when I am making an AV that requires a large number of accurate sound/image points I currently use another piece of AV software that allows this, I would much prefer to do it in PTE but it saves my sanity.

There has been a lot of discussion on the subject of how PTE handles audio and Igor has indicated several times he is looking at it. The latest was that v5.8 will have a rework of the audio facilities. Fingers crossed and hoping. :rolleyes:

See for Igor's comments---

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....showtopic=10074

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6806

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=8203&hl=

Some of the discussion---

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ic=9424&hl=

Peter,

In my experience it is very rare to require absolute pin-point precision of slide timings. If you are trying to "hit a particular beat" in the music and you have a transition of, say, a second; then you have a very wide margin of error. Which part of the transition do you want to "hit the beat"?: the start, the end, somewhere in the middle?

In my experience, hitting the beat precisely requires "Quick" transitions with no fade element. In such a situation I would use the Waveform display in the Timeline view to guide me in placing the slide change points.

I doubt if any of us get all our slide changes "spot on" at the first attempt. Preview, refine, preview, refine,... ad nauseam is the rule.

regards,

Peter

Thank you to everyone for picking up my thread. I didn't know it was a long standing item.

It came about trying to fit slides to parts of 'The Blue Danube' waltz where the music lacks positive beats and I was trying find which of the repeated phrases in the music best suited the transisiton.

I have coppied my original thread direct to Wnsoft and have received a ticket confirmation and am for waiting their reply.

Peter