WnSoft Forums

Screen Saver Installer - Ready !

boxig

Screen Saver Installer - Free.

When user insert the CD with one screen saver on it,

a small window will open and user can choose:

1) Intall to Hard Drive to screen savers folder and Run from Hard Drive.

2) Run from CD only.

3) Cancel - close and do nothing.

There are also instructions for your users.

The zip include "autorun.inf" to use with your CD and "readme" file.

Please your comments.

Download: Program No. 7 on My Webpage

Enjoy

Granot

Thank you! I'll play around with this on the weekend. If I want to launch this installer from inside of a PTE exe show (rather than with an autorun) on CD, is there any reliable way to do it, since I won't know what letter the customer's CD drive has been assigned, and so won't be able to specify a path for an object button to launch this app?

-David

David,

As far as I know when you make a screen saver with PTE you can't put buttons (unless the new version enable this...hummm).

I think what you mean is to install an exe presentation. I think I have some utilities that make this. Anyway, I am going to use the same graphics of "Screen Saver Installer" to make "Show Installer". In that case you will be able to run it from any slide by "Run external file" action (or at end of show) and user will browse to find a folder where to install your show. This one should be ready tomorrow.

since I won't know what letter the customer's CD drive has been assigned, and so won't be able to specify a path for an object button to launch this app

You don't have to specify any path when you are using "Run external file". Your show and the external file are in same place (on the root of the CD) so all you have to do is write the name of the file (file.exe) and your show will run it from the CD. On the other hand, if you run your show on your computer and have a button that link to external file located in another folder, then you have to write the full path.

David and all members,

"InstallShow" is ready and uploaded to my site.

I will post tomorrow the full details about this utility. Similar to "Screen Saver Installer" even in the look. I had no time to test it so I leave it to you and if you find any bug....well... i did it quicky, sorry.

Download: Program No. 77 on My Webpage.

Yes, I do actually mean to install the .scr from a clickable button within a PTE.exe show. I sell a CD that has both a PTE.exe show that autoplays, and also has an .scr show on the CD that the user (until now) has had to copy into the correct folder on their HDD. I was wondering how I could add a button to the start or finish of the EXE show that would allow them to install the SCR, if I didn't know what the drive letter of their CD drive was.

-David

David ,

You should have no problem creating a button to access Boxig's Screen Saver Installer .

Whenever working from CD's ... Make sure all your Button/Object paths are only RELATIVE (use no drive destinations in your path string)

Examples :

USE ------

\FolderName\yourshow.exe

FolderName\yourshow.exe

yourshow.exe

DO NOT USE -------

D:\yourshow.exe

E:\yourshow.exe

D:\FolderName\yourshow.exe

NOTE:

If you create a SYNCRONIZED PTE SHOW ... your buttons will not work ... as PTE does not allow mouse intervention in SYNC MODES.

If you use SYNC MODES to create your exe ... you must use the :

In that case you will be able to run it from any slide by "Run external file" action (or at end of show) and user will browse to find a folder where to install your show.

Stu, you have written a good general purpose note about relative vs. absolute file paths. This is a good topic reply to link for future questions that relate to paths. As many have found, using CD-ROM has special path considerations because you never know what drive letter will be used to play the CD (in the future) when you are making the CD. Thanks!