WnSoft Forums

Backup problem

Henri.R

Some time ago I made a slideshow with PtE version 5.5; recently I wanted a new exe file of this show so I started the old 5.5 version with no problems. After that I tried to load the slideshow from the backup-dvd I made at that time. but PtE refused to do that; I only see blue lines with in thick fonts the missing path...

As far as I can see PtE only want to see the harddisk with the files and pictures from two years ago, but in the meantime I changed that hd for a new one.

I know that it's possible to create a backup in PtE itself, but that is a zip file.

I'm wondering what happens to the slides in that case; the pictures are compressed jpeg's allready, so I suppose, as the zip file is compressing again, the quality of my slides is worse.

regards,

Henri. :unsure:

Some time ago I made a slideshow with PtE version 5.5; recently I wanted a new exe file of this show so I started the old 5.5 version with no problems. After that I tried to load the slideshow from the backup-dvd I made at that time. but PtE refused to do that; I only see blue lines with in thick fonts the missing path...

As far as I can see PtE only want to see the harddisk with the files and pictures from two years ago, but in the meantime I changed that hd for a new one.

I know that it's possible to create a backup in PtE itself, but that is a zip file.

I'm wondering what happens to the slides in that case; the pictures are compressed jpeg's allready, so I suppose, as the zip file is compressing again, the quality of my slides is worse.

regards,

Henri. :unsure:

Did you use the 'Backup in Zip' option within PTE when you made your backup?

If you did, then all of your images, sound files plus the project file will have been backed up for you.

If you did not use that option then things will not work for you especially since you have changed your hard drive.

Ron

Did you use the 'Backup in Zip' option within PTE when you made your backup?

If you did, then all of your images, sound files plus the project file will have been backed up for you.

If you did not use that option then things will not work for you especially since you have changed your hard drive.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for your reaction.

No, I didn't use the "Backup in Zip" option, because I still think that causes a downgrading of my slides (see my second question).

So there's no way for PtE to recognise my (exactly the same) files and pictures on the dvd?

regards,

Henri.

Henri,

Zipping a file into a package is a different compression method that of image compression. Here is a recent topic on just this question.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....=10033&st=0

So there's no way for PtE to recognise my (exactly the same) files and pictures on the dvd?

Yes. If you burned all the files, images, and the pte project file into the same folder (no sub folders) on the DVD. This is why many use the Create Template feature of PTE instead of Create Backup Zip.

I didn't use the "Backup in Zip" option, because I still think that causes a downgrading of my slides (see my second question).

Actually, I guarantee there will be absolutely no downgrading of your pictures (neither for sounds) when you decompress the zip.

The "backup in zip" feature is only a convenient way to put all your files of a project in the same archive.