WnSoft Forums

canot reach beechbrook site

FredUrwin

Welcome Fred! I thought that Tiscali sounded familiar for ISP problems. Another member (iceberg) had trouble with Tiscali and hasn't yet said that the problem was solved. You may find it helpful to send iceberg email through the forum email button. Good luck! Here is a link and some quotes from member iceberg.

Click here to get to iceberg's email access button

Earlier this year I was able to access the Beechbrook web pages and download examples. For the past 2  months or so  I just cannot get to that site using Tiscali broadband.  I have tried on two computers (one Wme, the other XP) but both using IE6 with various settings but to no avail.  It seems to start loading, then dies and returns the page not found error.  Oddly enough if I use dial-up, I can get to the site but a download is then out of the question due to the time involved.  I have put the problem to my ISP (Tiscali) but am just being fobbed off with irrelevant answers.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Follow up:

After a request for the reults of a 'ping' and 'tracert' commands to beechbrook, Tiscali said they would follow this up urgently but I am still waiting.

On a recent visit to my daughter, I used her  broadband (not Tiscali) and downloaded several examples with no problems.

On my broadband I tried Anonymizer - this allowed me to get to the beechbrook/pte page OK and I attempted to download some pte files.  These seemed to download OK but Winzip would not unzip them and the files seemed to be slightly shorter than should have been.  Needless to say Anonymizer claim that they do not alter files in any way.  Strange.

Perhaps I will in due course upload a sample.  However at the moment I cannot even get to Beechbrook (see my other contribution).  The URL is not recognized by my broadband ISP who says he is looking into the matter.

At the moment I am only just looking into digital and am waiting for the price of projectors to drop even further, so my experience is based on slides projected optically with two projectors and a dissolve unit which is what I would wish to emulate most of the time with digital.

By way of explanation, suppose a presentation includes several mini-sequences:  there is a one on wild flowers, naturally the music is slow but not too slow and gentle so the slides change relatively slowly.  Next a sequence of insects - these move quickly so the music is more up-tempo and the slides change more quickly. Finally a sequence of autumn colours - this time slow moody music and a very slow change of slides.  The fade rate is thus related to the slide on-time but within each mini-sequence a sudden slower or faster fade helps to keep the viewer awake!

no problem at the current time 13:10 EST

http://beechbrook.com/pte/

have not had a problem getting there for quite some time and by the look of the downloads either have others by the look of these 4 shows stats

Nerja Costa - del - Sol

File Size: 23.5M

By: tomcourt@ntlworld...

Download Count: 54

3D Fractals by Sharon Webb

File Size: 5M

By: sharwebb@alltel.net

Download Count: 270

Fall/Winter 2002

File Size: 16.6M

By: slau104@photo.net

Download Count:

Photo Paintings From Thailand

File Size: 4.5M

By: sharwebb@alltel.net

Download Count: 183

ken B)

Guest Techman1

Fred and Denwell,

If you are on a dialup link, you may want to try several times to get into the Beechbrook site. I know that on occassion I have had the same problem. It may be their site is down for maintenance (backup) or their Web Hosting Server is too busy to allow additional connections.

I have the best luck reaching them through: http://www.beechbrook.com/pte/

Good luck and keep trying. There are some nice samples of others work there.

Fred

(Yes, I'm another "Fred" :rolleyes: in the Group)

• 3 weeks later...

Tiscali have not got back to me at all and I still cannot get to Beechbrook directly with broadband. However I have discovered a little trick which may help others:

Log on to Tiscali using dial-up service. Go to the Beechbrook/pte page and allow it to fully load.

Disconnect from dial-up, connect via broadband. As configured it goes to the Tiscali home page. Click on 'the Back arrow' and it goes to the Beechbrook/pte page. Select the file you wish to download, at the download page don't 'wait' and most times you get to the usual download file conversation. When finished, just click on 'back' and you should be on the /pte page.

I have no idea why this works and why direct access fails.

On a similar topic, I had tried going via 'Anonymizer'. I get to the /pte page OK and it seems to download the selected file, however the file is incomplete and will not unzip.