WnSoft Forums

Gridiron artifacts

johnchap

Ken - if I had known how to publish it I would have done so - I just followed Igor's instructions.

Yachtsman - I am intrigued. What is the average file size of each image in your show? Those in my sample clip are of between 400KB and 600KB each - and that was greatly reduced from their original ex-camera size. I am in need of guidance as to the smallest file-size one can use while maintaining quality.

I HAVE PUT A ZIP UP TO MEDIAFIRE as a test for you

the link is below the words

share this url

http://www.mediafire.com/?uwtnmvdqmku

this is similar what you would have to send Igor

see screenshot attached

so the url that you sent Igor

copy and paste it into this thread

re the zip:i was trying to master macro settings/shooting -- also included in the zip are a bunch of links for how to do macro shooting

ken

post-16-125733317687_thumb.jpg

Guest Yachtsman1

Ken - if I had known how to publish it I would have done so - I just followed Igor's instructions.

Yachtsman - I am intrigued. What is the average file size of each image in your show? Those in my sample clip are of between 400KB and 600KB each - and that was greatly reduced from their original ex-camera size. I am in need of guidance as to the smallest file-size one can use while maintaining quality.

At present all my slides are sized at 1024x768 with a resolution of around 150 which gives an average size of around 125KB per slide.

Yachtsman1

Thanks, Ken and Eric. Your findings seem to confirm my feeling that there is something peculiar about my particular set-up - or some conflict with other software. I have just made another 40-image program - with files from a different folder - and, in spite of using several page-curls, there is no sign of a portcullis. I'm baffled!

Ken: I have run an extensive series of tests, along the lines you suggest, but also randomly varying the order of the slides and changing the custom transition on the one 'special' slide. What emerges is as follows:

1. The portcullis or gridiron defect always appears if the 'special' slide is set with a Curling Page, Push Effect or Slide Effect transition. It does not appear if any other transition is used.

2. The defect normally appears on the third slide after the 'special' one, and on alternate slides thereafter. If the special slide is No. 3, the defect appears on slides 6, 8 and 10. Certain settings of the page-curl - e.g unrolling from right - would alter this, with the defect appearing on the fourth slide after the special.

3. The issue seems to be independent of the order in which the slides run, or of which slide has the special transition applied.

One further observation: I ran the same tests with pics from another folder - but taken also in 2008, with my current camera (a Canon EOS 450D). Exactly the same defect appears. However, the same test done with pics from 2007, taken with a Canon compact, show no defect at all. Could it be that this problem is in some way camera-related?

Later: Taking a cue from Yachtsman, I have now resized all the images in the troublesome sequence to 1024x768, at 150dpi - and lo and behold! it runs without defect. So it looks as though the issue does indeed relate to a high megapixel camera such as my 450D. Problem solved?

Guest Yachtsman1

I have a Canon 50D which has the facility to add a copyright lable to the image, could this be a case of inadvertantly adding this. Similarly this could have been done in your editing software?

Yachtsman1?

Ken: As the original test file I uploaded runs OK on your computer, and on others, there doesn't seem much point in uploading further 'bad' sequences. I think I must accept that the phenomenon is peculiar to my set-up; and at least I now know how to avoid the problem! And I have learnt quite a lot about PTE in the process. Thanks for everyone's contributions.