WnSoft Forums

How to customize the color border on an image object?

Don

I have been putting picture frames around the images that I use in PTE slideshows. I accomplish this using Photoshop. I created a number of different frames on different layers. Then, I drop my image in on a lower layer, make the desired frame visible, and save as a JPEG. This works, but is time consuming. I was wondering if there is a better way of achieving this outcome. I have tried the color border option in PTE, but it produces a more simple frame than I want. My Photoshop frames have beveled edges, drop shadows, multiple colors, etc. They are subtle, not gaudy, but more complex. Any thoughts?

I am new to PTE. I want to thank Lin Evans for suggesting this program to me. I had not previously heard about it. I had posted a question on dpreview.com asking if anyone knew of a slideshow program that yielded higher quality images than the options I had been using. Lin suggested PTE. I downloaded the trial version and within a week purchased the Deluxe V 6. It is outstanding, not to mention addictive. I have read / viewed many of the tutorials on this site, which have been helpful. I am also reading the various posting regularly. Thank you Lin.

Don

Hi Don, Welcome on board an congratulations for choosing the right software! :lol:

The border feature in PTE is very basic. You can only choose the width and the color of your frame.

What you could do for you frame question is to make the frame in photoshop.

Then in PTE, use this frame image as a layer for each of your pictures.

The frame layer will be of course put underneath each of your images.

If your images have all the same format (3:2 by example), it will be very quick.

And if you have portrait and landscape pictures to frame, just rotate the frame layer.

Actually, my advice is to put the image and the frame layer as children of a same PTE frame object, like this :

Frame

!

!---> Your image

!

!---> Frame Layer

This way, if you want to move your image, just move the father object (Frame) and the frame layer will perfectly stay around the image.

Hope it helps.

Welcome to the world of PTE A-Vs and the user forum Don, you will find lots of friendly help and advice here.

Like you I had until recently been building my frames as layers in Photoshop but have now adopted a similar method to that described above by Dominic. This method also allows a zoom or pan to be applied to the image and the frame will remain static. There is a more detailed description of the use of frames in PTE in one of Barry Beckhams tutorials- "Creating and Applying Borders or Frames Part 1." found here --

http://www.beckhamdi...e6/pte6list.htm

Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks Dom & John. Those suggestions are helpful. I had read online that the PTE user community provides a major advantage for PTE over its competitors. Having read through these forums, I can see that in action. With your quick responses to my questions, I now also see how effective and targeted this can be.

By the way, Dom, I've visited your new website and registered there. It's a great resource!

Don