WnSoft Forums

start slide show in middle

pushu

I am using pic2exe for my wedding presentations. when I give my customer a cd I inclued 2 shows (same images)

the first show is just to watch.. has music, no file #'s

the second copy has the file numbers, no music, no transitions, and the nav bar. the purpose of this is so they can study the image closer.

Is it possible to make the show start at a different point other than the beginning? How about at the end so they could work backwards? I have had a couple of customers complain that it takes a long time to scroll through all the images (usually 500+) to get to certain parts.

could a button be added to the nav bar to take you to the end like there is one to take you to the beginning?

The simple way to do this is by using "First Page" on the navigation bar.All you have to do is make your First Page to be a thumbs index of about 100 x 80 thumbs so you can put about 60 thumbs (you can use also page 2 if you have more slides). Then put a link under each thumb to the slide.

Granot

pushu,

Follow Boxigs suggestion ... and/or just create a menu exe that will link to several others exes ( example create 5 of 100) Reviewing a single 500 photo spread can be quite overwhelming to customers that are already quite excited about the event.

I personally recommend creating separate sections of your your entire Photo/ Image review ... and then access each section or category thru your menu exe. Limiting the total count of photos to be reviewed in several exes will be alot easier for your customers to thumb thru.

thanks for the replys.

I don't really understand how to do either one. However I do like Nobeefstu's idea of creating separate sections make good sense. Can you elaborate a bit more on how I would do this?

What do you mean by accessing each section though your menu exe?

pushu,

To begin ... first determined how many categories or sections you want to separate your photo review into.

Since a wedding is really a series of multiple picture settings and step of events ( example: rehersal/diner, the wedding itself, reception, cake cutting etc.) ... create a manual advance show of each setting/event using no transitions and no music.

Since you already have a complete show for the entertainment part. The Review Photo portion (several individual exes) is more or less simple in setup as to give the client time to quietly browse thru at their own speed.

Creating a Menu :

This is just a 1 page ( or more pages is nice too ) show with a list or row of buttons (objects) that are linked to the separate settings/events shows you create. For each (setting/event name) Button ... select properties/action to RUN APPLICATION OR OPEN FILE.The file you want to run is the name given to one of the settng/event exes you create. So if you have 6-7 etc settings/events ... you will have that same amount of Buttons and photo review exes to make. In the properties/ enter program name ... here you enter the relative path of the filename given to 1 of your photo review exes.

With PTE you can make great menus ... as it has quite a bit of flexability to perform many variety of actions. You can be colorful ,dramatic and simple witout being just a bland looking menu.

I don't really understand how to do either one

nobeefstu way is somehow more practic. My suggestion is good for recalling single images.

1) Make thumbnail of all images.

2) Put them all in rows on first page.

3) Make a link to eack thumb to go the the slide number where the big image is.

Finished

Hawk (and others)

thank you... that is just what I needed.

Now I understand the concept, I still have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

If I am understanding this correctly... I would separate my wedding images into catagories (lets say 4 or 5) and make a separate exe show for each catagory. these would all be burned to the cd along with a menu page for navagation? I would not use music or transitions for these shows but would need a file number to show plus a nav bar.

I'm not clear on the menu page... was this created in a different program such as photoshop? how are the buttons linked to the separte .exe shows

are the buttons themselves created within pic2exe?

Thanks again for all the help... I think this is the answer to my problems

pushu,

Ralph's example is a great tool for you to learn from ...as it has all the ingredients and parts to get you started.

As for:

I'm not clear on the menu page... was this created in a different program such as photoshop? how are the buttons linked to the separte .exe shows

are the buttons themselves created within pic2exe?

You can use any image editors to create the menu page as Ralph has done. Or you can make it alot easier on yourself by using a photo from the clients wedding as the background ... then just use PTEs Object editor and make generic Buttons ... this way would be real fast to do.

Give it a little time to think it out ... as it will soon become real easy once you get the basic idea.

pushu

but would need a file number to show plus a nav bar.

In all your seperate selected category shows. - add

For file name / number:

In Project Options / Comments ( at bottom ) Customize Comments Section - checkmark box ( Set comments for all slides ) - from drop down menu choose " Picture name " or one of the others.

For navigation bar:

In Project Options / Advanced - checkmark " Show Navigation Bar " click Customize Navigation Bar.

I have been trying out your suggestions and have met with some sucess, but more important I know think I understand a feature of pic2exe that I had not used before. I do have a couple of question though...

If I were to use boxigs suggestion and create thumbs and link them to the larger image, wouldn't that mean setting the properties to link to the larger image for every one? With a show of 500 images this would take a long time wouldn't it? Is there a simple way to do this?

I have been working with splitting the wedding into 4 or 5 sections and linking the section to a button on a menu or home page. I understand how to make the buttons (within pic2exe) and link to a slide in the show, but am having a problem with creating a template of this menu that I can use for each wedding and adjust the properties of the buttons for each show.

I tried making a separate .exe show - 1 image (the menu) that I could include in each presentation but when I reopen the show, the buttons are not there. I saved the show - what did I do wrong?

Is this the way to do this or is there a better way? I would like to make a nice title (menu) page to reuse to save the time of creating a new one for each show.

I noticed shows that have buttons created in programs outside of pic2exe.

I downloaded some buttons to use and they are now .gif files. How do I get those buttons onto my menu page, and how does pic2exe recognize this button?

Pushu,

Yes, to link to each large image would be a big job. However, done once, you could save it as a "template" for future use.

It would be less work to confine the links to separate sections only.

Re loss of the objects after saving, maybe you forgot to press "OK" after adding the buttons in "object editor". Are they still there in the ".pte" file when you test the show using "preview"?

Don't save the "template" page as an "exe" file, but keep it as a ".pte" file so you can use it and modify it for another show.

As for adding "picture" objects and using them as buttons":

- in the "slide list", highlight the image on which you want your buttons to appear,

- click "Object Editor",

- click on the "picture" icon at the top (fourth one from the left),

- look for and "open" your button file in the directory dialogue box provided,

- drag it down to where you want it on the main image,

- right-click on it to access the "properties" menu where you can select the appropriate action when pressed.

Hope this helps! :)

alrobin:

thanks for the speed reply.

good point about saving the menu as a .pte file so I can modify it for future shows.

Am I correct is thinking that I should save it as a pte file untill I have customized for a specific show and then save it as a .exe file for use in that show only?

Pushu,

That's correct, always keep the .pte files for all your shows, just in case you ever have to go back in and change something, or if you are using them as templates, so you can go back and adapt them for new shows.