WnSoft Forums

Stand Alone DVD Burner

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

The charity show DVD I have just finished ended up with having to make 90 copies, (good for the charities, not for my hardware?) This brings the total burned using my current laptop drive to over 500 and I am expecting it to expire any minute. I still haven't resolved buying my new hardware, so in the interim I am considering buying a stand-alone burner by Freecom. The question is will PTE be able to switch from my laptop drive to the Freecom without prompting, will the Freecom operate on my existing laptop software, or will I have to use the Roxio Software the Freecom comes with. I know that's a lot of questions, but would be grateful to anyone with the same situation to relate their experiences.

Regards Yachtsman1

Eric

you not going to like this

but i am on 2nd external usb dual layer LG burner -- have not burned enough to even count the discs - 2nd is shut off now with a noisy cooling fan -- i took it apart -- lubed it but stll noisy - i bought it to supplement my 2nd desktop --i finally bought an in place burner

btw all my burners are LG

when you have an external you just have to direct the burning software to the proper drive

also Lin warned me that his experience with externals was not good either

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Ken

I chose the Freecom 1) because I have their 1TB hard drive & 2) the feedback from Amazon customers who have bought one. Are yours USB powered or external power supply? The Freecom has a separate power supply.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric,

If you are going to be doing much burning.

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=DR-AC1T1N

Others available from Amazon for around £100 for single duplication.

Frees up the laptop.Stand alone.No PC connection needed.

Davy

Hi Davy

That's a new one (to me anyway), however, how do I burn the original master? Another problem is the size, it's about as big as the cube PC I was planning to buy & shoehorn into the lounge. Looks like an alternative worthy of more examination. Thanks.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Eric,

Burn the original with your laptop.

Put that into the duplicator with a blank cd/dvd Voila.

If you go bigtime you can have a big duplicator 9 discs at a time.

Thats why I keep an old PC stripped out PC with 2dvd drives.

It's a hotrod copier.It lets me work on the current PC without interrupting things.

Davy