WnSoft Forums

CD/DVD Burning software

Photo99

On my old redundant PC I had the full Nero package version 6.3. I was going to load it onto my brand new PC but it is a very old version and I do not wish to purchase the latest Nero.

Can anyone tell me of a good shareware or freeware CD/DVD burning package that I can download and use?

I just want to burn the occasional data disk, backup to disk some files, burn audio CDs from my old LP collection and produce the occasional PTE DVD to run on a TV.

thanks

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

There is a free 'cut down' version of Nero 9,just for burning cds/dvds http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php

I think it installs a toolbar which isn't removable,so that may put you off.

There are loads of alternative free software burning applications.You can have a look on Softpedia and Cnets.There will be a rating and

list of what each one can do for your purpose.

You could checkout CDBurnerxp

Infra Recorder

Burrrn

IMGBurn

A nice little app for transferring files from cd to your hardrive in wav or converted to mp3 is CDex.

Check for updates on these type of freebie programs for best results.

Davy

If it aint broke why fix it?

How does that apply to my question? Please explain.

If I was ordering a new PC I would ensure it came with all the software you need.

Fine for you with full deep pockets and a friendly bank manager.

From my experience all you end up with is expensive, bloated software that loads up my PC and goes way beyond what I want, thanks but no thanks to that one. :(

Guest Yachtsman1

How does that apply to my question? Please explain.

Fine for you with full deep pockets and a friendly bank manager.

From my experience all you end up with is expensive, bloated software that loads up my PC and goes way beyond what I want, thanks but no thanks to that one. :(

You said you already had Nero and were happy with it, so why not re-use it?????

Most PC sellers include a burning software if you have a burner on your new PC,

cool off you'll blow a gasket.

Yachtsman1 :angry:

I did not say I was happy with Nero nor did I say it wasn't broke. I simply said it was old and I did not want to load it on my new PC.

You assume too much and read into my post what is not there and did not answer my question. Very unhelpful.

My question was--

Can anyone tell me of a good shareware or freeware CD/DVD burning package that I can download and use?

Good point Ken I had already considered Bluray and Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.77 and several others I have looked at all handle it. I had Bluray put in my new PC system.

I am currently evaluating Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.77 and it looks pretty good the only function it lacks is a one step disk copy so if anyone knows of anything else they think is better I would love to know about it.

thanks

Joanne

Joanne

I think RonnieWest can burn bluray with his version of nero -- he has been experimenting and i think he mentioned staying with nero

so rather than have a bunch of freebie proggies to do things with, why would you not try to update your version of nero suite, you may think it is bloatware but it has all the features you will likely ever need and can access them from "thesmart start button"

i am still using nero 6.6 that i bought many moons ago-i had been using easycd, bought easycd 7 but soon bought nero 6.6 just for the gui alone-very user friendly - it wont do bluray but does all need and if you are familiar with it, your update would have enhanced features and you would understand the gui - i think that is what Eric is trying to say

a new system is bound to have growing pains 'tho from the newsgroups i read,there have been less win 7 complaints than what i have seen from other updates

good luck

ken

A little background.

What caused my old stone-age PC to come to a holt in the end was too many programs running in the background all sorts of things I did not want or use. Things like tool-bars - net connections to download updates or add-ons I did not want or know about - all sorts of tools running in the background that I had no knowledge about - software sitting on my HD that I never used loading it up and got there without my knowledge and so on. This came about partly because I started as a complete computer novice and also has some bad advice. Once bitten twice shy particular of bad advice.

So the main instruction to my PC builder was I wanted a clean machine with only the OS and my virus checker and nothing else loaded. I now have a brother in the IT industry and with his help have become a little computer literate also now know some of the pitfalls to avoid.

Over the last few months I have slowly loaded only the precise tools and applications that I require and have been very happy with the result. A disk burning program was the last of the programs in this process. The reasons I did not want to continue with Nero was it caused me problems along the lines stated above and is against my new PC house-keeping philosophy. Just one example of this is the audio editor in Nero I use Audacity so why should I have that on my PC when I will never use it. I know it is impossible to have only exactly what you want but it is possible to get much much closer than Nero will allow. Nero would also cost me money to upgrade to V9 money better spent in other areas and so on.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit has been 100% fault free for me runs like a rocket and all my peripherals and software have loaded without any issues. In fact some work even better now.

PTE setup OK and I did a quick check to see if I could load and preview a project this was OK also checked a few other functions quickly. Now I have finally got my system fully configured I will start using PTE in more depth and see if there are any problems there with Win7 64bit so far so good.

Joanne

I should have added this to my last post.

In regard to the rather silly quote "if it ain't broke don't fix it" if the human race followed that philosophy we would all still be in the stone age. It would appear some hasn't heard of the word improve.

Just because it ain't broke we shouldn't try to make it better???

Joanne

In regard to PC housekeeping I think you are on the right track.

My 30+ years in the IT and Telecommunications industry has taught me that a clean, lean machine is always a better PC.

Like you I have recently moved to a new PC, my old one gave excellent service for almost 10 years due mostly to this practise. It was only pensioned off due to hardware problems.

Windows 7 has been problem free so far for me too, I think Microsoft may have got it right for the third time with this operating system. Win 3.1, then NT, (XP was just a tarted up version of 2000 which was NT+), and now Windows 7. It is more than 12 months since it became available to the public to try and break so it should be mostly sorted by now.

I think "if it ain't broke don't fix it" should be read in the very broad context.

If something is broken I always try and mend it to a higher standard than it was before it broke. The thousands of hours we men spend in our sheds are not just spent fixing things we are improving things too. Some may not think so. LOL

Yes we all should try and improve ourselves and the world in general Joanne.

EDIT LATER:I also decided not to move Nero from my old PC to my new one. I had a number of problems with it and the 2 CD/DVD units inter-working.

• 2 months later...