WnSoft Forums

MP4 files will play directy in my HDTV!!!

goddi

Greetings,

There has been much discussion about using a media player (such as the WD HD Media Player) to play PTE's MP4 files on HDTVs. However, I just made a discover with my recently purchased Samsung LED 40" HDTV. Since I got this TV, I have been playing my PTE MP4 files through my WD HD Media Player, which is excellent.

However, I wondered what the 'Media.P' button was for on my TV's remote. So I plugged in my memory stick directly in the TV's USB port and pushed the 'Media.P' (Media Player). I discovered that the MP4 files came up and played just as well as when I used the WD HD Media Player. I had no idea that this would be possible.

So, in case others have not tried this on their HDTV, I just want make you aware of this possibility. The WD HD Media Player is great to have (its portability is nice, too), but it was also a nice discover for me that my HDTV will play PTE's MP4 files directly thorough its USB port using a memory stick. Maybe your HDTV will do this too?

Gary

Greetings,

There has been much discussion about using a media player (such as the WD HD Media Player) to play PTE's MP4 files on HDTVs. However, I just made a discover with my recently purchased Samsung LED 40" HDTV. Since I got this TV, I have been playing my PTE MP4 files through my WD HD Media Player, which is excellent.

However, I wondered what the 'Media.P' button was for on my TV's remote. So I plugged in my memory stick directly in the TV's USB port and pushed the 'Media.P' (Media Player). I discovered that the MP4 files came up and played just as well as when I used the WD HD Media Player. I had no idea that this would be possible.

So, in case others have not tried this on their HDTV, I just want make you aware of this possibility. The WD HD Media Player is great to have (its portability is nice, too), but it was also a nice discover for me that my HDTV will play PTE's MP4 files directly thorough its USB port using a memory stick. Maybe your HDTV will do this too?

Gary

Gary -

This is good news! I have everything I need to do what you are saying except the thumbdrive and a HDTV. :) A couple of questions: Did you make the MP4 in the 1920 x 1080 format? And can you play the MP4 on your computer, like thru Quicktime with equal success? (not that one would need to with the slideshow already in an exe file.) I found that my computer doesn't have enough umph to play a full 1920 x 1080 MP4.

Thanks,

Dave

Gary -

This is good news! I have everything I need to do what you are saying except the thumbdrive and a HDTV. :) A couple of questions: Did you make the MP4 in the 1920 x 1080 format? And can you play the MP4 on your computer, like thru Quicktime with equal success? (not that one would need to with the slideshow already in an exe file.) I found that my computer doesn't have enough umph to play a full 1920 x 1080 MP4.

Thanks,

Dave

=====================

Dave...

I was not too excited about getting an HDTV since my old analog was working just fine with the HD converter box. But...I am so glad I made the purchase. It is really an incredible picture...and I am using my 20 year-old Radio Shack antenna that is inside my attic.

I create my .pte/.exe file with the 16x9 setting. Then I create the MP4 file using the 1920x1080 format. I have found that I don't see a difference between the HQ and the LQ setting, so I have been using the LQ (low quality) setting and save space on my memory stick.

I use the Media Player Classic-Home Cinema program to play my MP4 on my PC. I also see that my Windows Media Player (in my Windows7) plays MP4 very well, also. I don't like using Quicktime. The screen opens too large and I have to fix it each time.

I just tried a few of my MP4 files with the Media Player Classic (MPC) on a friends PC and it stopped and started every so often. An error came up about updating a DirectX or something like that. Maybe that is your problem. I did not try it with their Windows Media player.

Also, when I create my 16x9 PTE show, I 'zoom' in on each image while in the O&A so that the left and right edges of the image are to the far left and right of the format, and will therefore lose a portion of the top and/or bottom of the image. But I can make the choice which part of the image I will keep or lose (top or bottom). At first, I did not like having to make this decision but now I like it 98% of the time. It really looks so much better that the 4:3 format I used to use on my PC.

I used to shoot slides and have slideshows with the screen and projector. Having PTE being able to create MP4 shows that are shown full screen on my HDTV from a memory stick (or from a WD HD media player), WOW!!!! You'll never go back.

Hope this helps.

Gary

P.S. I also notice that when I play my MP4 file (created at 16x9, zoomed in, and at 1920x1080) with the MPC program on my PC, I get smaller black lines on the top and bottom than compared to the same file created as the .exe. So I prefer to play my MP4s on my PC using MPC.