WnSoft Forums

opening saved files

jim.smith24

Help

When I save a project with save as and later go and try to open it nothing appears in the window, no files.

Bottom right I can see what folder and the title of my project but when I click open nothing happens.

If I am working on two projects my second one overwrites the first when I ask it to save .

What am I doing wrong.

Jim

Welcome Jim!

Sorry that you are having difficulty. I had difficulty figuring out just what you were doing, but maybe this will help. If not please tell us more:

When nothing appears in the window, what window are you describing? The window to to left is simply the explorer window. It has whatever path you last explored, and not necessarily anything of interest. The window to the right is the slide list. In this window you *should* see something after reopening a work-in-progress. It sounds like you are opening a .PTE project file that describes work-in-progress, and then when you click OPEN it is already open, so nothing happens. It may help to know that whatever the last project you worked on is, it opens automatically when you restart PTE. It is difficult to keep this from happening (in my experience). You should be able to stop the automatic reopen of previous projects upon PTE restart by unchecking the option, Options --> Advanced Options --> Load Last Used Project. In my experience the checkbox keeps reappearing even though I want it permanently OFF. Usually when you start PTE from the Start --> Programs menu, if anything appears in the slide list, or if anything other than Project1 appears in the PTE title bar at top of screen, you have reopened a previous presentation.

Finally, to avoid overwriting .PTE files, keep using SAVE AS... until you know where things are being saved. Each time you use SAVE AS... be sure it is the correct project. The fact that PTE remembers what you were working on previously can cause confusion.

Thanks for your help.

I have just had a session and have 'sorted' it, I think.

It appears after I cleared list and did another operation it always asked project ? has changed do you want to save it.

I was hitting yes and overwriteing my original with an empty list if you see what I mean.

It is a little confusing for us beginners but my wife has a great show which we fortunatly saved to disc first before we lost our files and had to do it all over again as we had before.