WnSoft Forums

Audio jitter

davechilvers

Dave, you are going to have supply more details

OS, size of show , wav, midi,mp3 -- internal external player -- likely some i forgot so add all you can think of in your re post

synchronize or not

did you try it in another machine

have you rebooted and tried it

ken :)

I also am experiencing this difficulty. When viewing straight from hard drive, it runs/sounds great. Once burned to CD, it skips and stutters.

The following was sent to tech support:

I'm running V3.80 on Win98

40GB / 7200 rpm

40 GB SCSI / 7200 rpm

526 RAM

Dual screen / Matrox G400

After a fresh reboot, I enter P2E.

Create 72 meg slideshow w/ 2 min.

MP3 as background.

An error message will come up saying I'm

out of system resources - hard to believe, as

I edit video from this system.

Another problem I experience is the

background music plays skippy.

I've noted and tried the "Use Internal wav/mp3

player" in project options. It clears up the

skippiness, but that is when I started to experience

the "Out of system resources" message.

This is the answer I received from tech support:

You'd better use internal WAV/Mp3 player always.

It will help you to solve some problems with music. :lol:

I did not synchronize. I have tried the CD on two other systems, one running

W2k Pro, 1 gig RAM, 52x Plextor: another, my neighbor's Win98 HP Pavillion Costco Special.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Teejit

Hello Teejit

I suspect that your image sizes are too large, and this is causing the problem rather than the audio side. A 2 minute MP3 file will typically be less than 2Mb, which means you are trying to show 70Mb worth of images in two minutes. Look at the post "help with error message" in the message list. Your image sizes needn't really be more than 200k each. The larger the image the more processing resource is taken up to display it - particularly if the 'fade' transition is used.

Ian

Ian - Thanks for the help.

I have the mp3 set to replay after it finishes, so I am not making a 2 min. slideshow. I just mentioned so readers would understand the file size. I should just have noted the mp3 file size. I'm new to forums, so I'll try to be better at explaining.

Anyway - I see that my jpgs are large - Do I understand you to be saying that even though I set it to 800x600 in p2e, I need to resize them outside of the program?

I did use fade - not extensively, but it is in there. Are you saying that the fade transition should not be used? You've had trouble with it?

I'm going to give this a try. I'll let you know how I did.

Again, thanks so very much.

Teejit

The fade transition is actually my favourite - I use it almost exclusively. The trick is to use optimised images so that the processor has less work to do.

From your note it seems that you are setting the playback at 800x600, which is fine. But if your original images are larger than this then PTE will squash them down to fit your chosen display - it won't alter the original image size. Therefore it is much more efficient to size the images to your chosen resolution before making the show.

If you use Photoshop 5.5 or later, use the "Save for Web" feature for your jpgs as this gives a higher quality and better compression as simply "save as jpg".

Hope this helps

Ian

Other members have had satisfactory results with pictures in the range of 60 to 100 kb size

for example -- at present i have a show that has +- 240 jpgs 640/480 final size saved at 75% compression/72dpi

with no sound it is +- 12.5 meg

with 6 mp3's and the same # of jpgs it is +-26.2 meg

ken

Teejit, Ian and Ken are perfectly right. You cannot have any advantage by using image files larger (in pixel) more than your screen. On the contrary, you demand from your processor a very hard work.

Sure, resizing your pictures to a max size of 800 in width and 600 in height is an additional work, but you can make it in automatic way, not only with expensive software like Photoshop but also with the "free" Irfanview (www.irfanview.com): see File menu | Batch Conversion-Rename | Advanced Options.