WnSoft Forums

Posting a new 'exe' slide show

Ronniebootwest

I am proud of my very first little slide show and would like you all to see it. Can anyone guide me through the process of creating the finished 'exe' file and then how to upload it on to the Beechwood site. I wold also like to know if the exe file can be transmitted via email.

Ron West

Ronnie

first of all you did a save as

and that created a pte file

example

ron first show.pte

this contains all your settings

now you must do a create as

this will make an exe

example

ron first show.exe

make sure the exe will run when you double click it

when you have that done come back to this trhead and tell us the size of the exe

then we will proceed from there

ken

Hi Ken! I did as you suggested and created the .exe file. The size appears to be 34.7mb which is quite large considering the show only has 14 slides in it. My internet connection (AOL) only allows for uploaing 16mb so I am unable to send this .exe file to anyone at the moment. Questions:

1. How can I reduce the size of the file without losing quality

2. Does the initial input of the image control the size, e.g. what size jpeg should I aim for.

3. How can I save the .exe to a CD.

Ron West

Ron

give us the average size of each slide

you should aim for < 100kb/image

what is the size of the music files

most people use mp3 files at +- 3 mb/ea

normal email attachment size is < 4mb -- due to the way a mail program functions it adds "overhead" so the resulting email and file is likely close to 5.5 mb

AOL) only allows for uploaing 16mb -- you will have to explain this further

yahoo used to limit the uploading of files to their servers to a total of 30 meg -then you could give friends an url to go to, to download the files - this was not email but files -- picts, exe's etc.

if you planned on uploading to

http://beechbrook.com/upload/

for forum members to see, the present size would not be a problem, but you should get it's size down.

you will have to tell us what cd burning program you are using

but

you will just burn the exe as a data file to a cd-r and make sure the disk is "closed" if you are giving it to somebody otherwise depending on their system they may not be able to play it.

burning cd's is another can of worms and should be in a separate thread

ken

Ron, if you don't have a good photo editing tool, Click here for Irfanview It is top quality and free for non-commericial users.

I have a hunch that you have a 5 or greater megapixel camera. At 5Mp and little compression the jpg file size can be 2MB for each photo. With 14 photos that is 28MB out of your 35MB total.

If you would like to keep your photos high-res but make files smaller as suggested, I suggest aiming for more like 300KB to 400KB. Most of the time we suggest smaller than this so that people make slideshows that will play on the oldest and slowest computers. It sounds like you want a top-quality compromise on this.

I suggest Irfanview resizing your photos to 1280x960 at 80% quality (this is determined when you save). This will give you a 300KB to 400KB file size and better res than 800x600 or 1024x768 as is commonly suggested. The only consideration is that if you use tight timing in a synchronized slideshow the minimum performance computer that can play it successfully may be up a bit, 500MHz to 1GHz min.

While in Irfanview, experiment with sharpening and other tools.

If you've followed Ken's tip on MP3 (or Ogg music) everything should be OK now, and your slideshow should be more like 6 to 8MB for 14 photos and 1 music track.