WnSoft Forums

"Screen Resolution Utility"

boxig

"Screen Resolution Utility" - Beta Version

Download Here

Hi,

This is for "PicturesToExe" members to try and send me feedback so I can improve

the final version as to your needs. You can test it in a folder or a CD.

This Free utility will check your user screen size.

Your 2 words configuration are done in "ScreenData.txt" file

(which must be included):

First line you write: autorun (or any other word)

Second line you write name of default show.

How it works:

If you write 'autorun' (without the ') then the utility will check

the screen size and will look for the file to run.

If user's screen is 800x600 it will look for

a show called "800.exe" and will run it.

If user's screen is 1024x768 it will look for

a show called "1024.exe" and will run it.

If user's screen is 1280x1024 it will look for

a show called "1280.exe" and will run it.

If user's screen is any other size it will look for the file name as

you wrote it on second line in "ScreenData.txt" and will run it (default show).

If you did not write 'autorun' (without the ') then the utility will

open a window with three buttons for user to choose which show he

wants to run. If one the the shows do not exist, he will be noticed

by a message.

Important:

You should rename your shows as for the screen they are made for:

800.exe

1024.exe

1280.exe

The default show (on line 2 of "ScreenData.txt") can be any of these

shows.

I hope to get your feedback to finish this one.

If someone want to make a nice interface for the window with the three button, you are very welcomed to send me your image, which can include also three nice buttons with all the text.

Thanks

Granot

Granot may I suggest that you consider changing the screen size to fit the slideshow in addition to the option to select a slideshow that fits the screen? As it is now, people will have to make multiple slideshow versions for a given presentation, each requiring significant effort.

Your MMB utility software can support screen size changes, but to make it easy there is a free utility Entech's Multires freeware - click here to download that can operate automatically in conjunction with a new slideshow selecting utility from you Granot, or from the command line all by itself for those who know how to do this. Multires allows you to set the screen to any supported resolution by a single command, and it remembers the previous screen setting so that it can go back to whatever screen setting was in use previously after the slideshow is complete, once again by a single command.

Bill,

This is interesting and I'll check the link. You wrote "MMB utility software can support screen size changes" - Can you please guide me on this ? I probably missed this feature.

As a rule, I never make any changes to user's computer, nor write in registry. The only thing I sometimes do is create a text file.

Another thing, you wrote: "changing the screen size to fit the slideshow". I don't know much about screens but won't it be useless if we make a windowed show ? What I mean is, if you make one show only and want the user to see it as it is, so why not make it windowed without need to change his screen ?

Granot

Well, if you change the screen size you are indeed making a change in the Windows registry. Everything about the state of Windows is stored in the registry. If anyone makes any change to the screen or windows features the registry is automatically updated by Windows. Some of your software may already be affecting the registry in ways you do not know, but I wouldn't worry about it.

And for a windowed slideshow, displaying the finished product at a screen setting that matches the value used during slideshow development will assure the same viewing experience. Therefore changing the screen size to fit the slideshow makes sense.

Boxig,

I live by this moto too ... 99.9% of the time :

As a rule, I never make any changes to user's computer, nor write in registry. The only thing I sometimes do is create a text file.

I personally wouldnt make "changing the screen size to fit the slideshow" ... as this can possibly promote lots of issues if the Users PC (monitor/adapter/settings) cant handle such screen sizes. Its not so bad in stepping down a particular screensize than the User is currently using. But where issues could arise is when the screensizes are stepped up. Plus, I think many Users are quite critical of their screensize/adapter/settings ... and would not prefer some outside force taking control of them.

Some of us PTE creators use some vastly different screensizes ... so it be like force feeding another User to yourscreensize.

I think its best for us PTE creators to create the various size shows if we want to support other screensizes ... and let the User decide what to do. :D

Quoting myself from earlier reply: "Multires allows you to set the screen to any supported resolution by a single command." It only changes to a supported size. And it has automatic return on timeout like Windows Display Properties does, if you want.

Multires is a very intelligent utility that will not mess up a machine. It has been around, in use and updated for quite some time.

Perhaps for the benefit of the paranoid or ultra-cautious there can be an option to ask if it is OK to change the screen setting before proceeding. I think it will just confuse or intimidate the user, so I would not do this.

It's really not so bad, Stu. Some applications that we use today change screen settings and no one gets bent out of shape about it when the application is bug-free.

In the end, with any utility we can all choose whether to use it.

Bill,

It's really not so bad, Stu. Some applications that we use today change screen settings and no one gets bent out of shape about it when the application is bug-free.

I totally agree ... as long as its " a very intelligent utility " .

I imagine my main thought is if the PTE creator can create a "bug free" show that will run on any Users computer ... before they venture into changing the screensize of their Users. ;)