WnSoft Forums

Valley of Fire 3

gh6539

Well, I think I may be on the right track:

The show has four photo slides each with a different sky animation.

The last photo slide uses a photo of a interesting cloud formation is took a couple of years ago. It might be a little over much.

Project Options:

Aspect Ratio: 16*10

Size of slides 1280x800

Ticked "Fixed size of slides"

Clouds: 1920x1080

Photo slides 25 sec duration

Did more to control animation in Objects and Animation

Keyboard Control Enabled

Download Valley of Fire 3

Note: I made an error in judgement by replacing the logo in the credits template with my own. It was not my intent to take credit for the DomSharingPlace.

I have corrected the error and uploaded a replacement file. My apologies to the Dom. Many thanks for his sharing of the template.

:unsure:

As we are concentrating on the cloud animations these are my observations:

Slide 1: Speed could be a little slower. The direction of the animation should follow the angle of the whispy cloud, ie up and to the right which may or may not be the direction of the original cloud movement, but moving from left to right in a straight line feels contrary to the implied movement in the picture.

Slide 2: Animation too fast.

Slide 3: Spot on!

Slide 4: Far too fast. In fact I don't think an observer would notice much movement at all.

Cloud animation is very subjective and other people might not agree with my observstions.

One of the problems with animating clouds in PTE (or any other animation software) is how to show the way in which the cloud shapes change over time, sometimes a short time. Now there's a challenge! Animated GIF converted from a short video sequence, perhaps?

I very much admire your persistance over this and the way you are responding to the challenge you have set yourself.

David P

As we are concentrating on the cloud animations these are my observations:

Slide 1: Speed could be a little slower. The direction of the animation should follow the angle of the whispy cloud, ie up and to the right which may or may not be the direction of the original cloud movement, but moving from left to right in a straight line feels contrary to the implied movement in the picture.

Slide 2: Animation too fast.

Slide 3: Spot on!

Slide 4: Far too fast. In fact I don't think an observer would notice much movement at all.

Cloud animation is very subjective and other people might not agree with my observstions.

One of the problems with animating clouds in PTE (or any other animation software) is how to show the way in which the cloud shapes change over time, sometimes a short time. Now there's a challenge! Animated GIF converted from a short video sequence, perhaps?

I very much admire your persistance over this and the way you are responding to the challenge you have set yourself.

David P

David,

I very much appreciate the comments, suggestions and support I have received during this project.

It is this support that has kept me going.

As to slide 4, this is the photo I took a couple of years ago. I was trying to recreate what I actually saw.

I did not get the full effect I wanted. The orgiginal photo can be downloaded from mediafire: Funnel_Chase.jpg

Have a great day,

George

Hello George,

I made a mistake; my comment for slide 4 should have been the comment for slide 2.

Thanks for explaining slide 4. Having never seen funnel clouds ever in my life, as far as I am aware, I didn't understand the effect you were trying to achieve. Now the speed makes more sense. Of course, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree regarding cloud speeds - you were there, you took the photos, you know what you saw.

You obviously appreciate cloud formations as do I - except when they are a uniform flat grey, which we sometimes get here in the winter during periods of high pressure.

Regards,

David

Hello George,

I made a mistake; my comment for slide 4 should have been the comment for slide 2.

Thanks for explaining slide 4. Having never seen funnel clouds ever in my life, as far as I am aware, I didn't understand the effect you were trying to achieve. Now the speed makes more sense. Of course, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree regarding cloud speeds - you were there, you took the photos, you know what you saw.

You obviously appreciate cloud formations as do I - except when they are a uniform flat grey, which we sometimes get here in the winter during periods of high pressure.

Regards,

David

David,

I will revisit slide two.

I do appreciate cloud formations. Do not know if I understand them. I do love nature in all it's variety.

Regards,

George

Hi George,

I come to this a little in arrears: you are already at version 3. I'm assuming that this sequence is in the nature of being a technical exercise in animating clouds in a realistic looking manner.

My first comment is about the direction of movement in general terms. I think this sequence might work better if all four slides moved in the same general direction: either all four left to right or all four right to left. I believe this would give a more harmonious feel to the sequence. I also suspect that introducing just a very small amount of rotation would might also improve the feeling of natural movement. The motion of air masses is rarely straight line: it is usually somewhat circular (cyclonic and anti-cyclonic, were the words the weathermen used to use).

Now turning my attention to each of the four slides: I agree with David P when he states that Slide 3 is spot on. And I also agree that slide 4 is much too fast, especially when compared to the other three and bearing in mind that the tempo of the music hasn't changed.

Slide 1's speed is OK but I think David P's suggestion of a change of direction is a good one. Slide 2 is, for me, much too fast. This kind of sky, in my experience, moves incredibly slowly and I think your animation would benefit from a radical reduction in speed. One final observation about slide 4: the colour of the sky, to me, does not sit well with the lighting on the foreground landscape.

Whatever you do, remember that this is your sequence. My suggestions would turn it into my sequence using your images.

regards,

Peter

Hi George,

I come to this a little in arrears: you are already at version 3. I'm assuming that this sequence is in the nature of being a technical exercise in animating clouds in a realistic looking manner.

My first comment is about the direction of movement in general terms. I think this sequence might work better if all four slides moved in the same general direction: either all four left to right or all four right to left. I believe this would give a more harmonious feel to the sequence. I also suspect that introducing just a very small amount of rotation would might also improve the feeling of natural movement. The motion of air masses is rarely straight line: it is usually somewhat circular (cyclonic and anti-cyclonic, were the words the weathermen used to use).

Now turning my attention to each of the four slides: I agree with David P when he states that Slide 3 is spot on. And I also agree that slide 4 is much too fast, especially when compared to the other three and bearing in mind that the tempo of the music hasn't changed.

Slide 1's speed is OK but I think David P's suggestion of a change of direction is a good one. Slide 2 is, for me, much too fast. This kind of sky, in my experience, moves incredibly slowly and I think your animation would benefit from a radical reduction in speed. One final observation about slide 4: the colour of the sky, to me, does not sit well with the lighting on the foreground landscape.

Whatever you do, remember that this is your sequence. My suggestions would turn it into my sequence using your images.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

I very much appreciate your comments.

Yes, this is a technical exercise with the aim of being somewhat realistic.

Slide 4 is somewhat overwheleming for the photo. I did love the photo and could not resist using it. The speed was acutally very realistic to what I saw, which was very unusual for El Paso.

Regards,