WnSoft Forums

help p2e won't run

debibelt

I noticed today when I downloaded and ran the upgrade - it installs and then when I try to run it it gives the infamous "PicturesToExe.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

I uninstalled all versions, installed 6.0 again and same problem - uninstalled that and rebooted and re-installed 6.5, same problem

it's not hanging anywhere it says this as soon as you click to open the program

i have the same system I have been working on for 3 years and have run p2e just fine until now...

debibelt,

A few general things you might want to test and checkout :

1- Open the PicturesToExe program folder and double-click the PicturesToExe.exe directly. It would also be wise to check and test other programs and their short-cuts for the same issue.

2- Verify you had Administration Rights when installing the program and/or check your user login has proper permission.

3- Try installing the PTE program with all virus/firewall protections turned-off. Test the program. Turn back-on your virus/firewall protections. Test again.

4- If possible ... try installing PTE to another Drive or Partition. Test the program.

** Again ...these are general tests and donot relate specifically to PTE.

debibelt,

If you are running Windows XP3

Thats a good question, what OS are you running ... XP or Vista ?

Just one other thought to test ...

In your Documents and Settings\Users\Application Data\PicturesToExe\Versions\6.5 directory ... move the Apr.ini file to the desktop or some other location. Test the program.

The PTE program when/if opened will resort to all default settings and not be influenced by any previous version settings saved or used. PTE will generate a new Apr.ini file. This will atleast tell your if any prior settings used are creating the issue ... worth a test.

*** The path indicated above is using XP as a reference ... Vista may have something a little different.

Debibelt,

Yes, we have had that same problem before, let me try and explain,viz:-

1)

When users download and install any Pte-Program they tend to install it in any convenient Folder or on the Desktop.

Assuming the correct Folder is the PC's "Program Folder" ~ thats all well and fine ~ but they forget to create a

"unique" Folder Name for each version, examples:- Pte412, Pte449, Pte600, Pte605 and so on. In the order shown here.

2)

This guarantees that each version has its own "unique-Folder" and alpha-numeric "identifier" as shown above.

3)

This is important because newer-versions of Pte are very different from the older versions,eg:- Pte412, Pte449.

4)

The differences are very evident when one proceeds to "uninstall" an 'older-versions' compared to a 'new-versions'.

The 'older-versions' uninstall quite easily when using the Program-Uninstaller ~however~ 'newer-versions' are quite

difficult to uninstall (even with the Uninstaller) as they leave some program-remnants in thr PC-Registry which can

interfer with any attempt to 'Reinstall' the same/version or a newer/version.

5)

Please understand that this is quite normal and is similar to other Programs which behave in the same way as it can

be used as a 'protection-utility' to prevent copying but in Pte's case it is to prevent 'program-corruption' during your

'new-installation'. (Essentially it is telling you that a conflict of interests exists) ~ usually "User" error.

6)

The only way out of this situation is to remove the (old) Folders and any Registry-Keys and re-start your Computer.

Removing the (old) Folders usually works had you re-started your PC afterwards ~ now however you have a conflict.

7)

You could try as follows:- Press "Start Button" select-->Search-->For Files&Folders-->TypeIn--> PCEXecutable -->Search.

If anything comes up--> RH.Click it-->select Delete-->Close the Window now delete its Folder and Restart your PC.

For 'older-versions'-->TypeIn--> apr (lower-case)-->Search and do same as above.

8)

Make absolutely sure you type in:- PCExecutable or apr (exactly as shown) no additions !!

9)

If you can use a Registry-Cleaner you can "identify" the Reg-Keys as shown in the attachment below.

10)

Make sure that you have your Pte-'Reg-Key' tucked away somewhere safe before you do the above.

I hope this helps...

Brian (Conflow)

post-1416-060586100 1283170346_thumb.jpg

lemme read thru these and try some things out - just didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring their advice!

running xp version 2002 (old, yes, but I don't like upgrading things... can you see why?)

Debibelt,

Upgrading XP-Sp2 to Xp-Sp3 will resolve nothing except to complicate

the problem issue's you have with your current Pte-Programs.

The very fact that you have a Registry 'conflict-issue' will more than

likely 'crash' any attempt to upgrade to XP-Sp3....dont even try it !!

Brian (Conflow).

i deleted all folders relating to pte (all versions), took out all registry references, rebooted and installed - same issue :(

i am going to have to come back to this in a few days - while I am trying to correct this problem my work is piling up on me!!