WnSoft Forums

Strange timeline movement

RonH

A friend asked me if I could tell him how to rectify a problem he is experiencing in PTE 6 and 6.5 since he has bought a new HP PC (Windows 7). I’ve never seen this problem before and can’t prevent it. Has any Forum members experienced this and if they have, how did they stop it happening?

When in play mode, the blue progress arrow on the timeline stops at the beginning of a transition, the show continues without a glitch and when the transition is complete the progress arrow jumps to the end of the grey transition box continuing its progress along the timeline until it encounters the next transition when the same stop, jump and go action happens again.

I can’t replicate this action on my Windows 7 and neither can he on his old PC running XP. I’m no expert on the inner workings of PTE; thankfully it just seems to work for me. Can any of our forum boffins help? I would like to think that this is a computer problem but is this likely? Having read Barry's piece about 6.5 picking up the preferences from 6, I think my friend's only option is to uninstall both PTE 6 and 6.5 then try again.

Ron,

I have witnessed something similar once before on my Vista system. It occured when there was a lot of background activity going on: anti-virus update followed by Windows update. I put it down to an excessive demand for resources coming from several products at once. I've never come across this problem since that one occasion. Has you friend tried watching the total workload using Windows task manager (or whatever it's called on Win7)? That will show if there is anything "unseen" at work.

regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter I'll check tomorrow but this does seem very likely now that you mention it. A couple of times while he was using PTE the little 'working' icon came on and I've never seen that happen before on any of my machines. I know that some manufacturers put lots of ‘free’ programmes on their computers. Appreciate your quick response.

Ron