WnSoft Forums

Problems opening .exe file on different computer

Photofanatic

I have uploaded a slideshow in .exe format to the web hosting site 'mediafire' so that 4 of my friends can access it and download it onto their computers. However when they have downloaded it none of them can open the .exe file - I think it is their security settings which will be preventing this - but it opens without problem on my PC - can anyone suggest how to advise them so they can view the .exe file please?

Thanks

Joy

Joy,

Did you zip the exe file before uploading to MediaFire? Most of the anti-virus programs in use today frown upon a downloaded exe as being "untrustworthy". It is usually better to upload the zip file and then let the end-user download that and unzip its contents.

regards,

Peter

Joy

as a test download the file yorself and then try opening it

yes or no - then you can give us and them a step by as to what happens

you might also have them r mouse the file to do a local scan from their antivirus software -- it may be indicating a false virus

ken

Guest Yachtsman1

On Mediafire there are now various methods of sharing your file, in other words the link you pass on to them. Firstly are you sure the file has beem downloaded correctly & in a folder. Recently I have opened a new folder with the intention of loading the exe file into it and the file has ended up at the end of my list of folders & I've had to move it using Mediafires move file sequence, which meant the URL I passed on to download it went to an empty folder. If you are sure the exe file is there, there is a box to the right of the exe name called share, with a drop down arrow, click the "Copy Link" box, this is the link to paste into your friends email.

Yachtsman1

Joy

if the file is not of a personal nature you could send the link to me and see if i can open the exe

or

upload the file to the Cottage and see if your friends can download it and open it -

have your friends downloaded files before from various sources -- were the files exe's in a zipped state

normally programs are packed in a state different than an exe

there are many variables and questions to this problem

ken

As Ken says ... check all your links and verify the download/playback yourself.

It seems strange that all '4 of my friends ' are having the same issue at the same time on 4 different computers.

One simple thing to check first ... is make sure their file is not Blocked in their file properties.

This wont assure playback ... but it is a necessary setting for some pcs. See attached image

*With MACS in the picture these days ... verify your friends are not using MAC only computers.

post-45-018719900 1287665109_thumb.jpg

Joy,

Did you zip the exe file before uploading to MediaFire? Most of the anti-virus programs in use today frown upon a downloaded exe as being "untrustworthy". It is usually better to upload the zip file and then let the end-user download that and unzip its contents.

regards,

Peter

Thanks - that sounds like it may solve the problem - I have been looking into how to zip a file - I have winrar installed on my PC which I could zip it in but will my friends have to have the programme in order to unzip it?? The other one in winzip but I dont have that and cant find a way of getting it for free! (again will the receipients also have to have it?)

I have tried also going to 'File' > 'create back up in zip' from within PTE but I have used a couple of pte templates in the show and a several slides have the same name but are in different folders so that seems to upset it! Any advice on how to zip a file which others will be able to open would be really appreciated - Thanks

JOy

Guest Yachtsman1

Move the exe to your desktop, right click it, scroll down to send to zip folder & bobs your uncle.

Yachtsman1.

BTW you don't have to zip it to upload it to Mediafire.

Yachtsman1.

Tom,

Not sure why people like mediafire. I use dropbox (2GB free). Copy your slideshow in the public folder, right click to copy url, and email the link. No pauses, advertisements, etc.

Tom

I just tried it ... and I like it. Simple and easy and noise free (No pauses, advertisements, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestion :)